!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Solder for Connecting Dropper Wires  (Read 962 times)

Offline splinter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 7679
    • Awards
Solder for Connecting Dropper Wires
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
Hi, I have been looking on E Bay for a suitable solder to solder dropper wires on to N Gauge track
 I have noticed there are various gauges of solder available. What would be the best gauge?

Thanks for any suggestions

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Solder for Connecting Dropper Wires
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:29:00 AM »
The stuff I use is 60/40 tin lead at about 1mm diameter. What ever you do, don’t buy lead free, it’s useless. You can get bigger diameters but it’s just a waste.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:34:55 AM »
I like Dcc Concepts Sapphire 145 solder and there no clean flux, no connection with them just a happy customer. The clue is in the name, it’s a lower melt solder, the solder melts easier so you can avoid melting your sleepers.like Malc says stay away from the lead free stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:36:10 AM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
Use between 0.7mm and 1.5mm depending on wire size. 1mm is ok for soldering to track.
Take care what you buy though.  Bought a few spools on e-bay and aliexpress which were quoted as eutectic solder but must have been of low purity or incorrectly label as they were worse than the lead free stuff Malc mentioned for soldering.
Bought replacements from "proper" electronics suppliers.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
I'm currently using a reel of 18swg 60/40 tin/lead flux cored solder from Rapid, for all my electrical soldering. I must have bought it from a tool trader an an exhibition (not direct from Rapid).   I hate the lead-free stuff.

I keep a jar of Fry PowerFlow flux to assist with soldering to rail if necessary - just a tiny spec on the end of a cocktail stick is all that's needed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:51:24 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »
Dont be surprised if  you get refused when   trying to buy  proper lead solder from the likes of RS as many of the larger suppliers have recently started enforcing the rules,REACH Annex XIV to be precise,that prohibit  the sale to  non professionals.
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
The stuff I use is 60/40 tin lead at about 1mm diameter. What ever you do, don’t buy lead free, it’s useless. You can get bigger diameters but it’s just a waste.

If you've never soldered before you won't know the difference. I use small diameter, rosin cored lead free solder, it doesn't need flux, that what the rosin core is for.

Once you get used to lead free, it's just as easy as leaded. I would strongly encourage the use of lead free solder for electronics work.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 03:44:43 PM »
Dont be surprised if  you get refused when   trying to buy  proper lead solder from the likes of RS as many of the larger suppliers have recently started enforcing the rules,REACH Annex XIV to be precise,that prohibit  the sale to  non professionals.

Good, the entire electronics industry has now switched to lead free solder, consumer electronics has been leas free for 15 years or so.

IMO it's time everyone made the switch to lead free, it may well become completely obsolete.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:16:44 AM »
Good, the entire electronics industry has now switched to lead free solder, consumer electronics has been leas free for 15 years or so
Actually yea,otherwise me and many others wouldn't have made a few quid from repairing  cracked solder joints,the manufacturers wouldn't be selling as many replacements for stuff thats died from cracked solder joints and the landfill sites wouldn't be as full.Strange how the main concern was about the lead levels found in samples of rain water,so why wasn't  lead flashing banned?
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Offline Platy767

• N Gauge Society Number: 6332
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 03:08:09 AM »
Almost as important as using a rosin cored 60/40 1mm solder is to clean the place on the track you are going to solder to. Take your fibreglass pencil and give it a rub on the track location to be soldered to. Then I use isopropyl on a rag to clean, just before soldering.

Mark

Offline splinter

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »
Hi Guys
thanks for the various information re my topic
I have gone for the DCC Concept 145 Solder.

Regards Cliff

Offline Platy767

• N Gauge Society Number: 6332
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:21 AM »
Good luck with that. It just seems overly complicated to use a separate flux and solder when you don't have to. I would have thought that 145 solder was used for kit assembly of nickel silver to nickel silver? In any case, I suggest you keep your 145 solder tip exclusive for that use.

Mark

Offline splinter

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »
O Dear, looks like I have had a senior moment. Did not read the info correctly, as I only ordered the 145 solder and not there no clean flux. Back to the drawing board and order the correct solder, as I really should have gone for the multi core solder

Cliff

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »
@splinter   well, the Frys Powerflow flux I use is sold as "ideal for lead free solder" - which is why I bought it even though I've relegated my reel of lead-free solder to the back of the shelf until such time as I just cannot get tin/lead solder from anywhere.  I'm using the flux only if necessary, just a tiny amount on a cocktail stick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frys-Metals-Powerflow-Flux-Medium/dp/B0001P07M0

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:10:32 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
PowerFlow is powerful stuff.   Its highly corrosive.   Its intended use is in plumbing, where water is used to wipe all residue of the flux from both inside the pipe, and with a wet rag, from outside.

If you want to see what it does, put a bit on some copper pipe, heat it up, don't wipe it down, and leave the pipe for a week. 

The problem with it in model use is cleaning up afterwards.   
I have a tub of PowerFlow, its towards my "last resort" option for model making or electrical work.    Its first choice for plumbing.

For electrical work, such as attaching track droppers, I'd use a multi-cored solder.  (I'd use a lead-based one as well, but I think I have several decades stash of solder )

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal