!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 'Ferryhill' - Steam/Diesel Transition Era - NE England 1955-1968  (Read 823 times)

Offline icairns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 6662
  • 2mm Association Number: 5510
    • Awards
Re: 'Ferryhill' - Steam/Diesel Transition Era - NE England 1955-1968
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 08:46:04 PM »
Control Panel

The layout uses DC analogue control and there are two main circuits (red and blue) divided into 9 sections.  The two circuit controllers are by Gaugemaster (GMC-UD).  All the point motors are from Peco (PL-10E) and point control is via Peco studs and a probe purchased from an electronics store. 

One interesting feature of the control panel is that both the red and blue track circuits from the fiddle yard pass through the panel and out of the scenic break into the scenic side of the layout (see photo). 

The control panel is, in effect, a tunnel.  The advantage of this design is that it saves space – I did not want a control panel that either sticks out from the layout or is mounted vertically. 

The top of the panel lifts up to provide access to the electrics and to allow track cleaning.  There are two vertical, clear plastic sections on either side of the tracks (see photo).  The purpose of these protective strips is to ensure that, when the top of the panel is closed, the wires do not impinge of the trains passing through.  This control panel design has worked very well and I have had no problems with it.

The design and construction of this panel was described in Model Rail #247 (May 2018). 

MyLocoSound System

This is new feature that I just added this year.  I added the control box to the left of the control panel with a single 3” speaker.  Because my layout is only 8’ x 2’-3”, this single speaker provides plenty of sound (in fact it can be quite loud). 

I had looked at various DC sound systems but they all seemed to have disadvantages.  In the end, I bought the MyLocoSound system.  There are two sound cards (one for steam, the other for diesel) but they are never both on at the same time. 

For those not familiar with this system here are some of the attributes: 

- Steam chuffs and diesel revs vary automatically according to track voltage;
 - The steam card can be adjusted for either 2/4 cylinder or 3-cylinder locos;
 - The diesel card can be adjusted for various engines including English Electric, Sulzer railcars, etc.;
 - There are many other sound effects that can be called up manually including steam whistle, diesel horn, guard’s whistle, brake squeal, etc.;
- The sounds are generated electronically, not from actual recordings;
 - A remote-control device is used to program the default sounds on initial setup, call up intermittent sound effects, and control the volume. 

Because I never run both steam and diesel together, the control box provides selector switches for steam or diesel and red or blue circuit. 

The two small holes on either side of the ‘Ferryhill’ totem are to allow the I/R beam from the remote-control to communicate with the sound cards (steam on the left, diesel on the right).

Overall, I am pleased with this new addition although it somewhat of a gimmick.  It does impress visitors when a steam loco starts off and the familiar chuff-chuff is heard and then increases as the speed picks up (especially if I turn the volume up!).

Ian

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 08:51:34 PM »
An ingenious idea @DarrwestLU6 take note. Yes I have read and kept that article in MR #247

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 01:36:46 PM »
I love it too and the ingenious control panel. I’m also intrigued too by the sound- that would suit my layout. Thanks for the write up!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »
I love it too and the ingenious control panel. I’m also intrigued too by the sound- that would suit my layout. Thanks for the write up!
  darren @DarrwestLU6 I have a copy for borrowing of the aforementioned article

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
Sadly MyLocosounds stopped selling in smaller scales: http://mylocosound.com/mylocosound_021.htm
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline icairns

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 09:37:07 PM »
DarrwestLU6:  Yes, MyLocoSound no longer produce sound cards for small scale analogue DC and DCC.

However, that is not the system that I installed on ‘Ferryhill’.  I bought the large-scale universal steam and diesel cards that are intended for G scale and above locomotives.

My system is baseboard-mounted and both sound cards, the 3” loudspeaker, speaker baffle,  two 9V batteries, selector switches,  and associated wiring are installed inside the “sound box” located next to the control panel.  This provides plenty of sound for my layout. 

Because I live in southern California, I bought my sound cards, remote control, etc. from the U.S. MyLocoSound distributor: G Scale Graphics in Colorado.  This company was very helpful when I called them with a couple of installation questions.

Ian

Offline icairns

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 01:30:58 AM »
The majority of the steam locos on ‘Ferryhill’ are standard GF and Dapol locos and include representatives from the following classes: A1 (renumbered /renamed 60121 ‘Silurian’), A3, V2, B1, B17, J26 (Union Mills), J39, 7P6F Britannia, std. class 2MT, std. class 4MT, WD Austerity 2-8-0 and Ivatt class 2MT.

Here are some of the more interesting steam locos on shed.

Front Row (L to R)

Tyne Dock 9f 2-10-0 no. 92060
Renumbered Dapol model fitted with Westinghouse air compressors to operate Tyne Dock-Consett iron-ore hoppers.

LNER G5 0-4-4 no. 67246
Modified Dapol M7 body with modified bogie pickups and weight increased from 24gm to 31gm using tungsten putty.  This has improved performance and the loco can now easily pull 4 Mk 1 coaches without slipping.  Adding a 33-ohm resistor also improves controllability and eliminates the “jack rabbit” performance of the original Dapol M7.

LNER V3 2-6-2 no 67664
Atso-CAD 3D print body running on a modified GF by Bachmann SE&CR N class loco chassis.

Middle Row (L to R)

Austerity J94 0-6-0 no. 68024
Renumbered and detailed GF Poole-made loco (see Model Rail #274, June 2020).

LNER J27 0-6-0 no. 65855
NuCast white metal kit running on a Poole-made GF 94xx Pannier/0-6-0 tank chassis #1109.

Back Row

LNER Q7 0-8-0 no. 63460
Scratch-built body (by others).  When I got this model, it had a non-working Piko chassis which I removed.  The loco now runs on a GF 8f loco chassis (China made) with the motor removed and powered by a Union Mills tender drive.

Not Shown

LNER L1 2-6-4 no. 67733
Atso-CAD 3D print body running on a modified GF by Bachmann LMS Ivatt 2MT loco chassis.

LNER J63 0-6-0 LNER no. 8210
White metal kit running on a Minitrix 0-6-0 dock tank chassis.  My first N gauge loco and my first white metal kit.  Finished in LNER livery.  A good runner but confined to the display cabinet now.

Ian

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 10:20:37 PM »
A great looking stable!

Offline icairns

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 09:53:45 PM »
Diesel and Electric Locos

The majority of the diesel locos on ‘Ferryhill’ are standard GF locos and include representatives from classes 04, 08, 20, 24, 25/1, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 55 and DMU class 108.  I also run a Dapol class 26 in green livery. 

Here are some of the more interesting diesel and electric locos.  Apart from the class 17 Clayton and the Tyneside Electric Motor Luggage Van, these are all Rule One locos in terms of their more usual geographic areas! 

Class 23 Baby Deltic Bo-Bo no. D5907
Silver Fox resin body running on a GF class 33 China chassis.

Class 28 Metrovick Co-Bo no. 5716
Ian Stoate body running on a modified GF class 31 Poole chassis. 
The Co-Bo is on a (very) diverted ‘Condor’.  I wonder if it will make it back to the fiddle yard?
Actually, a Metrovick in the North-East is not as unusual as you might think.  They were all built at the Metropolitan-Vickers’ Bowesfield Works in Stockton-on-Tees.  There are many photos of these locos on test trains in the area. 

Class 76 EM1 Bo-Bo no. 26000 ‘Tommy’
MSL Hobbies resin body running on a modified GF class 33 China chassis.

Tyneside Electric Motor Luggage Van (MLV)
Reacreation21 3D print body running on a modified GF class 101 DMU Poole chassis.

Not Shown

Class 15 BTH Type 1 Bo-Bo no D8235 (green) and 8235 (blue)
Both models have a Parkwood resin body running on a GF class 20 chassis (Poole).

Class 17 Clayton Type 1 Bo-Bo no. D8530 (blue)
Parkwood resin body running on a modified Kato DD13 chassis.

Class 86 Type A Bo-Bo no. E3185 (electric blue)
Wrenn body running on a modified Tomix class EF66 chassis #2109

Obviously, the layout does not have any overhead catenary or third-rail electrics so the electric locos only get an occasional run-out when I am feeling frisky.

Ian

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal