!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Royston  (Read 223 times)

Offline CaptAwol

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Royston
« on: May 23, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
Well I posted up my layout plan a few months ago and after much research finally made a start, the plan has changed slighty when I began laying the track.
It's certainly been a large learning curve and quite a few mistakes have made then undone, then remade then undone etc. I also had to rethink on the positioning of the layout in the Outhouse to allow access to the rear.
At present it is on a pulley system suspended from the ceiling, which is handy when working on the wiring underneath and of course fitting the point motors. When we've decided on a suitable operating height I intend to make some fold-able or removable legs, so that the whole layout can be hoist up to allow access to the pool table.
The track is all 2nd hand Peco streamline code 55, a job-lot acquired from eBay as it was impossible to get new track due to Peco shutting shop during the lockdown. I soon learned that I hadn't done a very good job cleaning up the track!
This is a DCC layout and I also acquired a number of 2nd hand Cobalt point motors. I decided to try a controller system with PC software so went for a cheap option (hornby eLink) to see if we'd like it or prefer manual controls. This proved problematic with the point motors, well actually I initially thought I'd been sold a duff batch. However, after much Googling and testing I found a simple solution by putting a 100ohm resistor in series on one of the droplines to the motors.
Presently I'm still trying to decided on laying the branch off with siding's, then I intend to ballast the track and start on the scenery. It's going to be a country village type 1950-60's era.
I'm also considering going for the semaphore motorised signals, it's just a case of acquiring them ££££ and on figuring where they should be positioned, so if anyone is knowledgeable on this advice would be appreciated.
As we are going for DCC sound, I'm also looking at upgrading the controller so recommendations welcome.

I'm only allowed to add 2 pics at a time, so watch this space for updates.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Royston
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »
Doesnt look much like Royston to me ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
 :hmmm: - you might have some issues with those curved gradients, especially at the top in the 2nd pic but that depends on what you'll be running.
@Delboy might be able to help with motorised semaphores and @Lankyman with positioning of them

Offline honestjudge

• N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »
What was the problem with the point motors?

Offline Lankyman

• N Gauge Society Number: 22227
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:58:54 AM »
Thanks for volunteering me @Newportnobby. I have no experience of Dapol semaphore signals although I have seen them in use on layouts at exhibitions. Looking at the track layout in the pictures I have too many questions about the design intentions to offer any meaningful advice at this stage. I would need to know a lot more about how the layout is to function. I can see a double track circuit with two loops at the front which would suggest a station. Are the two main line tracks uni-directional (i.e. "up" and "down" in railway terminology) or bi-directional? If there is to be a station will there be any turn-back scenarios? What is the purpose of the long meandering single line which appears to form a third continuous loop? Again, is this uni- or bi-directional?

I can see a potential for a lot of signals even in a basic form but in a full bi-directional scenario there would be a huge number and thus very expensive. Dapol signals are limited by the fact that they are either a single arm or a left or right hand bracket (are they available yet?) My problem is that I need some three armed bracket signals or multiple arms on a gantry so they are of no use to me at the present time. I feel you might face a similar problem. Even with colour lights I think you, like me, might have a problem with the complexity of your layout but with colour lights you would probably need less signals. However you then have to consider junction indications.

Good luck

Ron
Ron

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:14:19 PM »
Thanks for volunteering me @Newportnobby,

If I can help @CaptAwol with regards to the working semaphores I will do my best.
Below is a sample of a GWR lower quadrant signal total height 60mm or 30 scale feet. I have also designed round post upper quadrant using the same principles.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:16:43 PM by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:00:01 PM »
Have to agree with @Newportnobby on those gradients - especially if you're running steam.  Having scrapped a layout for exactly that problem I found I needed a 2 meter long ramp to reliably get steamers up to 40mm or so when pulling more than a couple of coaches.  Diesels will manage steeper but stick to 2% gradients or less for steamers.
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline CaptAwol

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:50:47 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I'll try and clarify some of the comments.
Royston wasn't my choice of name as I'm only track and electrics, wifey is scenery etc. :worried:
The curved gradients are actually working well as I now have the tracks up and running, I had intended to drop the outer loopy line down to reduce the amount of gradient, but decided against it as it could prove awkward to get at the track in the event of problems like derailments. I'll confess to a little cheat I've done which is not noticeable and that is to raise the front slightly.
With regards to the point motors, on most of them the Elink didn't see the DCC code and after searching about I found a comment on a Hornby forum that suggested adding a 400ohm resistor in series. This I tried but was only partly successful and through trial and error found that a 100ohm solved the problem. I'm Looking to change the controller as the Elink has limited functionality with regards to DCC sound.
The outer loopy track is intended to be just a small cargo going clockwise. The twin oval lines are for passenger loco's 3 coaches each with 2 single sided platforms, the points before and after are intended for by passing the station.
With the semaphore signals, they should be fairly easy to connect to the point motors, my issue is I'm still trying to understand what and where they should be located, I've been looking up a following lots of links, so far I have an idea of where to put home and distant signals for approaching points before the station.
When I'm back home later I'll get upto date pics of the layout and post.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:21:24 PM »
As far a recommendations for a better DCC system then youíre in for a lot of input.
As youíll be doing DCC sound then you really want a system that can handle 28 functions. You also should probably avoid any system that forces F2 to be non-latching, the US designed systems can be problematic here, the Gaugemaster Prodigy is a US designed system btw.
The more flexible the system, the easier it will be to use with sound locos.

Then it comes down to personal taste, I like the Roco Z21 controlled from my iPad, others prefer a system with real buttons and knobs. I can call up all my locos and control all my points from pictures of the locos and from a mimic diagram on my iPad, I donít need to know any addresses once things have been programmed.
Many people use DCC for locos but conventional control for points.
Do some research, read some reviews, decide what you want your DCC system to do, and go from there.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:24:08 PM »
I use digitrax kit and digikeijs block detectors, bullet proof and fully expandable.. 34 cobalt ip points, dcs100 and db150 digitrax booster, digitrax pm42 power manager, 7 dr4088ln block detectors fully automated layout

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal