!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Digikeijs DR5000 & Cobalt IP Digital Point Motors  (Read 103 times)

Offline Henners84

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Digikeijs DR5000 & Cobalt IP Digital Point Motors
« on: May 24, 2020, 08:05:38 PM »
Hi
Does anyone know how to add points to a Digikeijs DR5000?  I have DCC Concepts IP Digital Cobalt point motors (the digital ones with inbuilt decoders).  I have been watching Simon's shed video where he installs similar although i get stuck when we installs to his Hornby DCC controller (I cannot seem to do the same with my DR5000).  Can anyone help?  Vid as follows... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNhc9BfxuqI
Thanks v much,
Henry

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Digikeijs DR5000 & Cobalt IP Digital Point Motors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 08:11:09 PM »
Hi,

What are you using to control the DR5000, I ask because some users are using the Z21 iPad app with the DR5000, and if you are then I can probably answer your question.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Henners84

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »
Hi John,
Currently i just use my Thinkpad laptop. 
To program a loco i go into the 'Prog Track' button and it's straight-forward.  However cannot see an equivalent 'button' to programme a point. 
Henry

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:07:30 PM »
Hi John,
Currently i just use my Thinkpad laptop. 
To program a loco i go into the 'Prog Track' button and it's straight-forward.  However cannot see an equivalent 'button' to programme a point. 
Henry

Ah,  you don't program this type of turnout by "programming" in that sense.

With the Cobalts, there is a button on the Cobalt which puts it into "learn" mode (called "set" in the manual).  When in "learn/set", it is listening to all commands sent along the DCC wires.   The Cobalt is waiting for any "accessory instruction" and will "learn" that the address of that instruction assuming it was meant for it.   
On your system (your laptop controlling the DR5000), you need to send an accessory instruction to that turnout as if you were operating it, using whatever accessory address (number) you wish to use for that turnout.     The Cobalt "hears" the instruction, notes the address the instruction was sent to, and remembers that for the future (unless you put it into learn again). 

So, the step is to open whatever the turnout operating control may be, and "throw" the turnout with that control whilst the Cobalt is in "learn" mode. 

Accessory (turnout) addresses are different to loco addresses, so you can have loco address 5 and turnout address 5, and there is no problem.  They are different instructions at the track level to different devices. 

(There are multiple ways to setup accessory decoders, depends on decoder in question.  So this won't apply to all!  ) 

- Nigel
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:08:58 PM by Nigel Cliffe »

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
OK

So Nigel beat me to it, but Iíve typed it now :)

So how do you control points on the DR5000?

Knowing that will get us further.

For example on the Z21 app to add a point with address 12, I do the following.

Put the point decoder in programming mode.
Add a point in the app and give it address 12.
Use the app to switch the new point.
That sends an accessory command over the DCC and because the decoder/point is in programming mode it sees the command and sets itself to address 12.
Then take the point decoder out of programming mode, if necessary.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
I use the exact setup.... on the dr5000 you bring up the turnout panel... the cobalts are put into prog mode via the switch on them... direct message me if you want some help.... but essentially you put cobalt into prog mode, throw the point number on the dr5000 you want the motor to be and then power down the dcc turn point switch back and point is now on that address

Cheers Paul

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal