!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: faster on dc than dcc  (Read 509 times)

Offline sprogman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17786
  • 2mm Association Number: 4557
    • Awards
Re: faster on dc than dcc
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 08:41:32 AM »
A factory reset is useless unless you know that the default setting for all CVs after reset results in the maximum possible speed. You really need to read the decoder instructions and look for any CVs that could affect the top speed.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »

would this be ok, or is the one linked to on amazon better?  that one was an adjustable output it said.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142534333801

i dont know anything about electrics btw.

The problem with PSU's on Amazon and Ebay is knowing which are from well run factories and made properly, and which are crap.   

From a link posted on RMWeb,  this seems like a better bet
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-dc-adapters/1752816?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-
Its going to be made in China, as will be the Ebay/Amazon options, but RS are a big established UK provider of electronics equipment to industry.  They have a reputation worry about, so are more likely to check their supply sources are decent. 

- Nigel

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 02:42:48 PM »
hi

ive ordered a 15v 2a from rs so hoping it helps speed up the slow trains!

cheers

tim

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 04:01:08 PM »
@bluedepot  Sounds like not enough amps to me.  The PowerCab is designed for 2.5A (maybe 3A) isn't it?    I'd have gone for at least 3A, maybe 3.5A so there is decent headroom. My understanding is it's never good to run power supplies at their max.

[edit] This page is interesting though, where it says the PowerCab doesn't lose much voltage, ie the track voltage is close to the power supply's output . Also the amps aren't regulated other than shutting down near 3A.

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203935645-Adding-more-power-capacity-to-the-Power-Cab
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:08:48 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 04:11:06 PM »
It depends how many trains you're likely to run together with how many track powered lights and accessories you also have.

Even at two Amps max you're still probably going to be able to run well over half-a-dozen locos before you start running into any problems.

Steven B.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:13:09 PM by Steven B »

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »
hey

good points on amps

i'll see what happens as ordered it now

cheers

tim

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »
@bluedepot  Sounds like not enough amps to me.  The PowerCab is designed for 2.5A (maybe 3A) isn't it?    I'd have gone for at least 3A, maybe 3.5A so there is decent headroom. My understanding is it's never good to run power supplies at their max.

You don't need lots of amps for N gauge, whatever controller is involved.   A typical N loco is 100-200mA, and lets the blue smoke out if it draws 500mA.  So, 2A is in theory 10 to 20 moving at one time, which is more than a PowerCab user's fingers could handle.

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal