!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Midway  (Read 1226 times)

Offline NOE 544R

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Midway
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 09:20:39 PM »
Well, it's done! I've taken the track up and will unsolder the points tomorrow. Track is coming from up north as its the only place I could find stock at a reasonable price!

I thought this evening i'd have a play around with background removing. I'm only using Preview on Mac, so i'm reasonably happy with it (its not perfect, but ok)!

So, here's the missing section as is

For anyone interested, this is the overall view of Midway;

Whilst I'm on an upgrade mission, I've decided to resolder and relay a couple of other sections. These, in my own opinion, were shockingly soldered and were done in a rush so I could play. These will be lifted and resoldered underneath.

Another lesson learnt, do it once and do it properly! At least these are vital for a bigger project one day!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 09:46:35 PM »
Are you going to get another section of baseboard kit frame to support the extension?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
Are you going to get another section of baseboard kit frame to support the extension?

I was contemplating it, but I have used a number of brackets underneath also. At the moment it will be fine, but once the scenic work commences I will have to build similar for greater support!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
This is coming along nicely. As @Newportnobby says, your taste in stock is impeccable, and it goes without saying that I love the Blue Pullman.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2020, 11:02:25 PM »
This is coming along nicely. As @Newportnobby says, your taste in stock is impeccable, and it goes without saying that I love the Blue Pullman.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words! Now that the layout is coming along the Pullman won’t sit in its box for the next god knows how many years!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2020, 11:11:05 PM »
Yes, unfortunately that's where mine is at the moment. It's only had a run twice since I got it in 2013, I think it was.  :(

Looking forward to more developments on your layout.

I too have a couple of dodgy tight flexible track curves on my layout, by the way. Back when I built it, it never occurred to me to use set track on them. In my naivety I just went ahead and used flexible track (Code 80), and lived with them ever since.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2020, 11:32:59 PM »
My biggest flaw was, having newly returned to the hobby, wanting to get trains running. When I laid the track a few weeks ago I wasn’t happy, but couldn’t be bothered to re do it as it would slow the progress. Silly mistake really, and one which has come back to bite. The positive from this is that I do have track setta’s which will be used this time round - and I’ll try to do it in one piece instead of two! Whilst the idea of set track is good, and one I will use on my next project in the distant future, I have laid curves without issue on my previous layout (sold) and the one side of this project. I imagine laying this section will take me most of the week, but I’d rather it take longer and look good!

Hopefully I’ll have two happy 9f’s running. If all fails, I’ll have them for sale and purchase new diesels!

In my absence from n gauge I missed out on a number of model releases. The biggest being the Sturgeon. Oh how I wish I had some! I’m hoping they’ll consider a second run, but if not I’ll have to keep hunting for some!

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
What a hot day it's been! Following the decision to re-lay some track, I thought i'd have a look the wiring I've done so far. Starting with the control panel, I decided the wiring undertaken wasn't up to the standard I'd like, and was undermining the effort taken underneath the baseboard.

Control panel this morning;

As you can see, it had become a jumble of wires and was impossible to follow any cables. If a problem arose this would be a nightmare trying to fix it. I decided to bite the bullet and have a go at tidying it....

Having spent 10 minutes trying to clear a single wire, I realised it just wasn't going to happen. So, for the second time this week, it was time to rip it out and start again! Oh how I wish I'd made a note of which feeds go where!

After a few hours, I managed to complete the outer loop wiring and was happy after a quick test. Tomorrow's job will be to wire the inner loop, something I'm not looking forward to!

I appreciate for some, this 'improved' organisation of wires will still appear as a nightmare, but for me I find it easy to follow each sectional feed. I'm just a novice giving it a go!

In other news, the track ordered is due for delivery tomorrow. Looks like a busy time next week!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
Well, it's a start..... but you have a way to go yet :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
Well, it's a start..... but you have a way to go yet :D

:o :goggleeyes: No thanks haha!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 05:12:09 PM »
On Friday the process of track laying began. Despite my passionate hate of this, I'm pleased to report both 9F's now run issue-free around the curve. Oddly, at first, both would go round almost without a problem but the tender would jump off at the last second. After a couple of runs, they now seem to be fine. I'm assuming this could have just been the trains getting used to the track!

Today was spent ripping up another curve and relaying all of the track. I decided that only 1 out of all 4 was to a decent standard, but now all match this. The inner curves are 9" radius, so are unlikely to take any Dapol steamer with tender, but I will have a go still later in the week!

For anyone interested, this is how the layout is currently looking;

In other news, I happened to stumble across some Sturgeons for sale at a model shop. Having missed out on these during my break from the hobby I have always kicked myself, and decided to bite the bullet. At close to £50 each they were not cheap, a huge markup from the original £30 ish. Fortunetly they had the exact ones I were after - BR Black with doors, so decided to purchase a triple pack.

Guess I'll need to pre-order some Dogfish wagons!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 06:38:34 PM »
Glad you have it sorted and your 9Fs are now OK. I found sometimes the cab doors position could kick the tender out :hmmm:

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, will investigate later in the week!

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
Sturgeon Arrives!

On Tuesday the postie was kind enough to deliver my new Sturgeons. The detail is incredible on these models, and the wheels are so small! After a number of attempts, I finally got them running around the layout. The couplings seemed to wonder on their own at first, but a little playing around with the order finally got them running OK. I half expected this as my larger radius curves are 3/4 12". with 1/4 9" (they are designed to run around 12" I believe). If a brake tender is added on the rear, it is pushed off when round the curve. I believe this is just because of a lack of weight, so another project for the future.

Overall a very happy customer. I really hope the RevolutioN team consider more transitional era models in the future (after the upcoming loco). Maybe a few more unique wagons? You'd have my money for sure!

Anyway, heres a quick pic from today.

With the track almost fully wired (4 wires left to link up) I decided to have a test run. Will post pics later today/ tomorrow.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2020, 04:15:29 PM »

I really hope the RevolutioN team consider more transitional era models in the future (after the upcoming loco). Maybe a few more unique wagons? You'd have my money for sure!

We have the class 56xx tank locos, class 128 Motorised Parcels Vans and Cemflo wagons yet to come!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal