!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Midway  (Read 1224 times)

Online NOE 544R

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Midway
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
Thank you for the photograph’s, pictures are sometimes better than 1000 words and saves on the typing.

All of the wiring is looking very neat and tidy, unlike my layout, at least nobody on the forum has seen that yet.

Obviously you had the space to expand, so a good decision made to accommodate what you wanted, else you would have regretted not building the small extension and would never be happy with your layout.

I think all on here like to see trains running in videos, they certainly like their pictures. As I said previously the visual experience saves all the typing

Keep the updates coming, and enjoy the build

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Thanks for the kind words Mike. Totally agree with what you said! This isn’t my first attempt at a layout, so I wanted to try and keep the wiring as tidy as possible. If I have an issue with a given section it makes fixing it much easier!

Offline impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 06:15:03 PM »
...I wanted to try and keep the wiring as tidy as possible. If I have an issue with a given section it makes fixing it much easier!
Hmm - yes - like many, mine started tidy but got worse and worse as it grew!  How many electro-frog points are you using???   :D
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 06:52:08 PM »
I believe there are 20 in total!

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »
Very very impressed with the tidy wiring! Nothing worse than spending hours under a layout trying to find a problematic wire amongst a tangle of the damn stuff.

- Andy

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 01:18:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, very encouraging and giving me more drive to finish the wiring! Postie hasn't turned up with the cable organisers I require so wiring has been on hold for the inner loop. Yesterday I decided to run in all-stock I have, to see if there are any duff runners or ones which will not like the layout. Sadly, both my 9F's will not run on the outer loop, failing at one area only. I'm contemplating relaying this section, but as all other trains run round this I'm not sure this will fix the issue. Next steps will be to test the performance on the inner loop to see if they will run there at least!

Anyhow, I thought i'd share some pictures!

Local passenger approaches Midway. Midway handles a lot of branchline and mainline traffic.

The local passenger has been signalled into the passing loop.

TPO passes the local commuter

Local is given the signal to proceed

Milk train approaches Midway.

Must admit, I'm happy I added the elevation to the curves. It's hard to photo the impact, but in person it looks great (IMO).

4 Car DMU passes through

About 5 + years ago I was fortunate enough to stumble across the centre car from a 3 car Farish set. Costing me almost nothing I jumped at the chance to buy it. Pleased I did now!

Finally, a Pullman set speeds through Midway

I'm hoping to crack on with the wiring later this week, or early next week depending on when supplies arrive. In the meantime, the outer loop has become very, very dirty. Having read about the horrors of Track Magic, I decided IPA is the way forward. Hopefully this will arrive early next week so the cleaning can commence!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
All the stock above mirrors my own. You have excellent taste, sir :D
@Bealman will be chuffed to see another Blue Pullman appearing.
The superelevation is noticeable to me and looks good :thumbsup:

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
Again thank you for the photo’s

I love the blue Pullman, always have, something different, I would like one but not really the train for Hillsden unless rule 1 applied, or do I start again with a new layout?

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »

I love the blue Pullman, always have, something different, I would like one but not really the train for Hillsden unless rule 1 applied, or do I start again with a new layout?

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Rule 1?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »
All the stock above mirrors my own. You have excellent taste, sir :D
@Bealman will be chuffed to see another Blue Pullman appearing.
The superelevation is noticeable to me and looks good :thumbsup:

What can I say... great minds!

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

This is the exact reason why I chose to model a made up place. Can’t recommend this model enough! Although a fairly hearty price tag, it’s totally worth it IMO!

Don’t think I’ll be running any trains for a while... decision made, the curve in question has been pulled up! At least If better laid track doesn’t facilitate my 9f’s, I can justify the sale! God the price of track is shooting up!

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 02:52:20 PM »

This is the exact reason why I chose to model a made up place. Can’t recommend this model enough! Although a fairly hearty price tag, it’s totally worth it IMO!

Don’t think I’ll be running any trains for a while... decision made, the curve in question has been pulled up! At least If better laid track doesn’t facilitate my 9f’s, I can justify the sale! God the price of track is shooting up!

Very fortunate that my model (Cromford ) is on the route for the BP so was a must have unit.
Price tag may seem a bit hefty, but when you consider that you get two locos and four coaches is really quite reasonable.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »
Sadly, both my 9F's will not run on the outer loop, failing at one area only. I'm contemplating relaying this section

Failing in what way? curve radius or stalling for some other reason?  If they can't get round the outer loop curves then not much hope of them getting round the inner loop, so sounds like something needs re-laying?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »
Sadly, both my 9F's will not run on the outer loop, failing at one area only. I'm contemplating relaying this section

Failing in what way? curve radius or stalling for some other reason?  If they can't get round the outer loop curves then not much hope of them getting round the inner loop, so sounds like something needs re-laying?

As the loco went round the curve, it hit a section where I had joined two tracks Together with RJ’s and some solder. With the 9F’s, the front axel would come off, eventually jamming on the following point. I suspect where I had joined the tracks, it created a pinch point in terms of radius and a small bump. I’ll try relaying it how I have with the other side By moving the joint to the front or trying to do it with one piece!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 05:17:31 PM »
Curves which are that tight that they need solder etc. to hold joints are better off laid with a single piece of flexi, or with setrack.  Avoid all the fiddling about with trying to get flexi to bend evenly at the joints.  (This is speaking as a dyed-in-the-wool Streamline code 55 flexi user btw :-) )
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Curves which are that tight that they need solder etc. to hold joints are better off laid with a single piece of flexi, or with setrack.  Avoid all the fiddling about with trying to get flexi to bend evenly at the joints.  (This is speaking as a dyed-in-the-wool Streamline code 55 flexi user btw :-) )

I used the solder mainly for current purposes, but really another feed installation would do the job better. I hate hate hate doing curves in code 55, so rushed this process. I think the right decision is to relay it, but take my time this go! Whilst I’m in track laying mode I may alter other parts too, mainly behind the scenes!

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
Whether Code 80 or 55 I would now use set track on tight bends, as these are usually off scene. It is very difficult to get tight curves perfect with flexi track.

Club layouts I have been involved with, we have always used set track for the curves off scene, it is one less problem to deal with.

Hillsden is Code 80 with flexi track throughout, the area that gives me the biggest problem was a curve in the fiddle yard, which is off scene, but this was compounded because it crossed a removable board joint, I have had to lay across the joint now and if the layout is moved those pieces of track will need lifting

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal