!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Berko Signal Wires  (Read 356 times)

Online B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Awards
Berko Signal Wires
« on: May 12, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »
A question to ponder....
Ive recently installed some signals onto my layout and when i came to wire them up i noticed the exposed end of one of the signals (IE the actual core) had been cut leaving nothing exposed. Now they dont seem to have any rubber covering compared to normal wires but they are shaded the colour of the led they feed. Trouble is i cant expose anymore of the core as wire strippers don't seem to actually strip anything else. Am i missing something here?

Thanks
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Königshafen thread on NGF
    • Awards
Re: Berko Signal Wires
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 06:03:55 PM »
Are they very fine wires? Sounds like they are enamel coated.   I just gently scrape the end of the wire with a knife to expose the core for soldering.

Fine enamel coated wires are quite common on the LED signals I use from Busch, Brawa and Viessmann.

If I need to fit such fine wires to screw terminal blocks I expose and wrap the end of the fine wire around a length of thicker single core wire, solder it and then cut so I have a few mm of the thicker core ready to insert in the terminal block.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:07:20 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:05:36 PM »
Are you saying the wires aint insulated? sounds like enamel covered wire,rub them with a bit of fine sand paper to remove insulation
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Online B757-236GT

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »
Are you saying the wires aint insulated? sounds like enamel covered wire,rub them with a bit of fine sand paper to remove insulation
Indeed they have liked a coloured coating but I'm not sure what it is. I did try rubbing it back carefully using some wet or dry and it seem to work but the wires are so brittle they just broke again so will probably have to try and get something else. I've had these for a few years and have to say i don't recall them being brittle in the past. Are CR signals still doing kits as i know he was winding down so i'm not sure what other choices i have for coloured light signals.
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:18:23 PM »
With some "enamel" coatings on wire, they just retreat in the face of the soldering iron.  Just gently push the cut end of the wire into molten solder, and the coating will melt back up the wire.   Not all do this, but worth a try.  FAR easier than attempting to rub it off!

- Nigel

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »
When I used to wind inductors using enamel covered wires, I used a cigarette lighter to remove the covering. I then cleaned the end with, of all things, ether.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »
I used a cigarette lighter to remove the covering
I used to do the same until the last  lot  left black sticky gunk on the wire.Not sure if its a bad batch or if they've changed the insulation as it was a lot redder than the older stuff.
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Online B757-236GT

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
Thanks for your advice. I decided to send them to @Mirrlees of this parish for him to add the extentions on as i didnt want to risk ending up with no wire and a useless signal. Hopefully they will be back soon as the wiring is pretty much finished apart from the signals.

Richard

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal