!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Roco Z21 Black & loco decoders  (Read 320 times)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Roco Z21 Black & loco decoders
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
I have to agree with Nigel, just create/connect a programming track and give yourself full access to the decoder without worrying about RailCom, POM etc.

I don't do a lot of DCC, but all the programming in various sizes from N to G is done on a programming track with a SPROG and JMRI on my workbench.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 08:53:03 PM »

Just realised I’ll not be able to check CV29 or 28 for that matter, I’ll just have to write the necessary values and hope they have been stored.

In the case of RailCom not-working, you can either guess or be certain.   It cannot be hard to connect a short bit of track to the programming outputs, read values and know what is going on. 

- Nigel

Good point Nigel, will do this tomorrow to see what is going on

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 08:54:22 PM »
I have to agree with Nigel, just create/connect a programming track and give yourself full access to the decoder without worrying about RailCom, POM etc.

I don't do a lot of DCC, but all the programming in various sizes from N to G is done on a programming track with a SPROG and JMRI on my workbench.
Thanks Nick,

Yes will do that tomorrow

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
Is bit 3 of CV 29 set? The Zimo manual states that that turns Railcom operation on and off in the decoder. Could you have it enabled on the DMU and not the Class 20?

Hi Steve - railcom was disabled on CV29 for the 2 decoders that couldn't be read on the main track

I've just noted that you have said reading back 'driving characteristics'.
By this I assume you mean the specific button on the Z21 app that reads back the first 6 or so CV's for you.
I have found that function to be hit and miss, even on the programming track and I use nothing but Zimo decoders, for example with one loco I'll get a response after a few seconds and the second loco I try will time out.
I would try just reading a single CV, CV2 for example, on both the Zimo equipped locos and see if that works with POM.
If that doesn't work then you need to check CV29 to make sure Railcom is enabled.
BTW the programming track can be any old piece of spare track, it doesn't have to be connected to the rest of the layout.

Hi John - have connected a separate bit of programming track and everything is fine now. As per message above, railcom was off on the 2 decoders that wouldn't read on the main.

I feel your pain, Zimo have been irritating me lately too!  Assuming bit 3 of CV29 is switched on (as others have mentioned) the most important CV for RailCom on a Zimo is CV28 which should be set to a value of 3 if you want things to work as they should
Ex-factory Zimo chips are supposed to be ready-to-go on the RailCom front, but consistency seems to have gone out of the window of late so it pays to check.  Or do a factory reset on the programming track.
If it just won't work properly then you presumably have a faulty decoder.

Hi Steve - CV28 on all 3 decoders are set to 3 as you outline above, bit 3 of the 2 decoders that wouldn't read on the main were indeed off.

In the case of RailCom not-working, you can either guess or be certain.   It cannot be hard to connect a short bit of track to the programming outputs, read values and know what is going on. 

Nigel / Nick - just as you said a small length of track used for program track, tacked to a bit of wood and now stored under the layout with the Z21 & makes life much simpler.

So now I have a Farish Class 37 that was DCC enabled (factory fitted with a Zimo chip) , A Farish Class 20 DCC ready and a Dapol Class 156 DCC ready the latter 2 have had Zimo chips installed and now run very nicely.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »
Hi Derek,

Glad it's all sorted.

I have also found 'new' Zimo decoders that have had CV29 set to something other than the factory default.

And when the time comes, one of the nice things about the Z21 programming track output is that when you are NOT programming it behaves just like the main track output.
This means that you can have an isolated section of track as part of your main layout connected to the programming track output. It will behave just like the rest of the layout, but if you need to program a loco you can just drive it onto that piece of track and then program it.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 08:08:12 PM »
Hi Derek,

Glad it's all sorted.

I have also found 'new' Zimo decoders that have had CV29 set to something other than the factory default.

And when the time comes, one of the nice things about the Z21 programming track output is that when you are NOT programming it behaves just like the main track output.
This means that you can have an isolated section of track as part of your main layout connected to the programming track output. It will behave just like the rest of the layout, but if you need to program a loco you can just drive it onto that piece of track and then program it.

Regards,

John P

Thanks for that John - I did read that somewhere earlier. I think that’s what I’ll do on the last section that is still to be laid as that bit is going to be near the front of the baseboard.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal