!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ESU Loksound v5 lighting question  (Read 124 times)

Offline SGregory

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
ESU Loksound v5 lighting question
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
Hi all,

Just in a battle of wills whilst sound fitting one of my 66's.  Using a Loksound v5, hard wired, moves lovely, sound is phenomenal etc.

Just come to wire the lights for independent operation and run into a bizarre problem;  I've wired the headlights at one end to the headlight (white) lead, with resistor obviously.  I've wired the other side to the common positive (blue) as per the instructions.

Problem I have is, the head lights come on when you power up and can't be turned off with F0??  What gives??

I can control the behaviour of said headlights (i.e dimming, flashing etc) but cannot turn them off - if I put the loco in reverse, they stay on.

What have I done wrong???

Any help (or perhaps a valium at this point) would be very much welcomed!

Thanks,

Simon

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
Re: ESU Loksound v5 lighting question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:41:16 PM »
Working assumption that things are wired correctly, and nothing blown,  then you've the complexity of ESU's function mapping to negotiate.

Unless you have your own LokProgrammer, or a copy of JMRI installed and are reasonably proficient at programming locos with JMRI, then contact whoever supplied your decoder, and ask them for a list of all the CV changes to make.    You'll need to decide what outputs go to what lights, then ask for the changes you need.

If you have either a LokProgrammer, or are confident with JMRI, then read in the decoder to find its current function mapping (will take ages with JMRI, because its got to interrogate something over 600 CVs), and then make the changes to what you desire. 

( I did reverse engineer the ESU function mapping when the V4 came out, and there was no documentation from ESU.  It took about four weeks to do it.  The V5 is similar, but not identical.   ).

- Nigel

Offline SGregory

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:21:47 AM »
So the first thing to say is that I do indeed have JMRI and a Sprog so have the luxury of being able to read/write variables en masse. 

Yesterday I read in every function map CV whilst I was doing something else and configured F21 and F22 to control the tail lights.  They are working independently on AUX1 and AUX2, the sole issue I have is the headlights.  Currently I only have one end wired and am using the following scheme: One end - White for headlights, green for tail lights, other end - yellow for headlights and purple for tail lights.

I'm assuming nothing has 'blown' as you put it as everything else works, including all the configurable effects for the lights etc.

It has to be something extremely simple but right now, it eludes me.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:24:52 AM »
Which keys, if any, seem to operate the headlights (eg. F1 along with turning on sound?) 
Or, do the headlights operate only when the loco is called up and moved ?  (possible to set function mapping to do that).

From here, the only thing I can think of is to read down the Function Map table looking carefully for any rows which are triggering the Front (white wire) and Rear (yellow wire) lights.    I can think of various trigger events which could cause it, but guessing doesn't help. 

All assuming you have an up-to-date JMRI with a LokSound V5 defined.  The V4 is slightly different. 

-  Nigel

Offline SGregory

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 09:27:49 AM »
Problem solved!

It appears that the issue here was a problem between the the person operating the soldering iron and the decoder......just spotted that a single strand of wire was bridging another connection on the decoder - causing the LED's to be permanently lit.

Got rid of that and voila!

Thanks for your assistance though.

Simon

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »
Glad it has been found. 

My reply did begin with "Working assumption that things are wired correctly..."  which they were not.

Offline SGregory

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »
Glad it has been found. 

My reply did begin with "Working assumption that things are wired correctly..."  which they were not.

Well technically the decoder was wired correctly.  Personally speaking, I think I could be forgiven for missing a single strand of copper that is as thin as a human hair.....but anyway.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal