Adding drivers to diesel locos

Started by exmouthcraig, May 04, 2020, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:helpneededsign:

I'm still trying to get my head round all this modern track stuff  :dunce:

All of our steam locos have crew, it doesnt matter if they run tender first the crew still face the same way.

But for Clifton Wood I'm struggling to decide....

My 08 has a driver with his arm out the window, easy enough because it only has 1 cab, but.......

In a moment of madness I've started looking at a Class 66 loco for Clifton, in usual circumstances i must have 20 a day pass my fields so always see plenty, i have a 47 but that will be so far removed from this location i wont be able to run it when it's back from Ian! So why not get myself a 66.

Problem is on the remodelling of Clifton the loco will drive in, uncouple, run round and then technically reverse out.

So the dilemma, does a driver go in both ends and 1 always looks unusual, 1 in one end and go driver less on the way out or none altogether?????

I've never been faced with this dilemma so advice and opinions much needed
:thankyousign:

Newportnobby

Sorry, Craig. I can't help with putting crew in diseasels but did snigger at the thought of steam crew on little turntables with a gizmo allowing you to turn the crew round when running tender first :-X
I think I've been in lockdown too long. I won't tell you what I've been thinking about my sugar cubes :no: :-[

exmouthcraig

:D

oddly mick dad did wonder how long before the fireman becomes dcc and rotates shovelling coal into the firebox!!!

guest311

pity they no longer, as far as I know, have guards on freights, otherwise you could have 'driver' in front cab and 'guard' in rear cab.

stevewalker

On DCC you could motorise them and have them pop-up at the appropriate end on a function (or straight off the direction - although that would look odd when just reversing into a siding or to couple up).

As for steam, how about one looking each way, representing the driver looking in the direction of travel and the fireman glancing back at something?

Newportnobby

Quote from: class37025 on May 04, 2020, 01:00:51 PM
you could have 'driver' in front cab and 'guard' in rear cab.

But would the guard's bearskin fit in the cab? :worried:

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 04, 2020, 01:50:59 PM
Quote from: class37025 on May 04, 2020, 01:00:51 PM
you could have 'driver' in front cab and 'guard' in rear cab.
[/quote

But would the guard's bearskin fit in the cab? :worried:

not on ceremonial duties, so could get away with wearing his slashed peak cap  :smiley-laughing:

jpendle

Hi,

You're right its a dilemma on a shunting layout.

How about really dirty windows?

How about having the headshunt behind a wall and having two identical loco's with a driver in opposite cabs. That way you could swap locos and it looks like the driver changed ends.

Or do what feels best, as whatever you do it will always be wrong (no driver, one driver at the wrong end half the time, 2 drivers at opposite ends)

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

exmouthcraig

Cheers John,

It was an extravagance purchasing 1 66 let alone 2 of the same!!!  :D

I think I'll go with one at each end, well I wont I'll decide once I know how hard a GF 66 body comes apart to access the cabs!!

If I can go to the effort of putting drivers in machinery and all the trucks on the layout I should populate the locos as well

guest311

exmouthcraig

guest311

coward ....
you know she can't read your forum messages ... :)

or can she  >:(

better keep quiet then  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations