!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 3887 times)

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2020, 11:25:04 PM »
It has been a tiring but rewarding day here in Hillsden. :sleep:

I first finished off the weathering to Mill Lane and the paved areas around the mill, I am quite pleased with the finish, although it does need a final coat of matt varnish as do all of the roads and paved areas on the layout.  :thumbsup:

As it will be at least the end of June before I can go out to the shops again in person  :-\, I took the plunge and ordered some matt varnish on line and paid the postage and packing, which is expensive compared to the price of what I bought, but I thought I need to get it done and move on.  ::)

Well I didnít feel too bad when I discovered that my wife had ordered more clothes on line, as I keep telling her we cannot go out at the moment. :angel:

I also had to enroll my dear wife to glue back the Mill building canopy because my hand is too big to fit in the tight space. A bid thankyou to her for helping out, well I suppose she did deserve the clothes.

After lunch I spent most of the afternoon, cutting out the plywood sides and floor for the slave control panel, this did tire me, so I left the top until tomorrow, when hopefully I can get the panel box, pinned and glued together.  ::) ::)

Finally took the mill photographs to enable me to finish the tour of Hillsden, see earlier post.

Well as I am tired and need my stamina for tomorrows exploits, I am calling it a day  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2020, 11:50:46 PM »
Wow!  Love that last shot looking past the warehouse doors.  Looks like gangland territory and I kindof expect blue flashing lights and Z cars to come round the corner!
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »
Good one! It does, doesn't it?  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »
That's a really impressive mill building, particularly as it took fifteen years to build.  Great pereverance! :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2020, 04:20:48 PM »
It is coming up to my four week anniversary on the Forum, time has flown by even in lockdown.

Over the last four weeks I have done word and photo tour of my layout Hillsden. Over this period I have taken many photographs. I have now put these photographs and many more unseen into a video tour of the layout which is a bit more structured. The video is around 7mins long, so if you are interested here it is warts and all, The Saturday Night Movie

Hope you enjoy

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Impressive mike
 Look forward to more

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
What he said!    :thumbsup:

Didn't see any warts tho... or 'waaarts' as she am not spoke in Souf Yorkshire.
Mike

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
What he said!    :thumbsup:

Didn't see any warts tho... or 'waaarts' as she am not spoke in Souf Yorkshire.

You drink warrrrrds as well

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »
Not if I can help it.  Prefer Black Sheep meself!   :beers:
Mike

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
Saturday again here in Hillsden

Well I managed a walk today, down the full length of our drive, well that's a car length, still not been past the boundary during this lockdown.  :o

As I said yesterday evening I managed to cut all the pieces of wood for the additional control panel, glad to report no aches and pains today from all that hand sawing, it is a few years since I last used one.  ::)

Anyway today I managed to build the box for the additional control panel, well sort off, I found my joinery skills are not what they used to be, nor is my patience, so somehow I bodged it together and got it slightly out of square. Anyway a bit more bodging tomorrow with paint and filler, it will be reasonable as long as I keep it hidden when visitors are around.  :-[

Whilst in the railway room I did a small amount of landscaping a small area of earth coloured scatter near the row of terrace houses on Sunny Bank, I was only using up the glue I had decanted for the control panel, anyway its a start towards finishing the landscaping, who knows I may get green fingers next and lay some lawn, flowers and vegetables in the gardens, maybe build a train room too.  :thumbsup:

After a busy day I finished the evening off doing a bit more painting of the Southern vans and shark I have  been building for the last three / four weeks, I do need to get these finished and back in service.

Well I finally succumbed to taking another photograph or two on Hillsden so I say goodnight with the following offering, Enjoy  :)

The photographs are of an original Poole built Graham Farish Class 101 DMU at Hillsden Station, in need of a dusting. :doh:

Stay Safe

Mike H  8)

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2020, 10:37:10 PM »
Cracking pictures Mike  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2020, 11:31:10 PM »
More good pictures Mike, I love that mill building it looks so realistic. Keep Safe.
Chris
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: Yesterday at 09:20:41 AM »
I like your ballasting.

What materials/method did you use Mike ?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: Yesterday at 09:39:11 AM »
I like your ballasting.

What materials/method did you use Mike ?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

@joe cassidy
Hi Joe

The ballast is cheapest of cheap.

I used builders sand, which was left to completely dry before using, spread in the usual boring way with paint brush, the the usual dilute PVA plus a little washing up liquid was run down the sides of the rails using a paint brush until the area was flooded.  Left to dry and then the sand, rails and sleepers we painted by an old brush (the sand wears the bristles out rapidly) with Railmatch Sleeper Grime.

The railhead only then cleaned.

The track on the layout is Code 80, so this method was used to try and hide the rail height.

Trust this answers you query

Stay safe

Mike H   8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: Yesterday at 09:21:32 PM »
Sunday in Hillsden

Well couldnít go to church today, as there isnít one built on Hillsden, so instead I cut the lawn plus some other household chores and then after lunch escaped to my little town, however, I soon wished I hadnít.  ???

I carried on where I left off yesterday with the new control panel, well I found it still in one piece all glued and pinned together. There were a few stray panel pins that had gone off line, so as the box was now stable I replaced these with some new pins and removed the troublesome ones.

Then the real bodging began, first I punched the panel pin head too below the wood surface, that is after I had spent around 20 minutes looking for the punch. Then the real fun, I took a large tub of filler and filled all the defects, there were many and left to dry.

Tomorrow it is face mask time and rub down all that diligently placed filler, followed by priming. ;D

Next disaster struck, I had reclaimed a piece of white faced hardboard for the top, which just required cutting to size, well I seem to have got a little bit excited and bent the piece rendering it useless, so project control panel is partially on hold until I can con my dear son to go shopping for me, which wont be for a few more days, hopefully have it for the weekend. Well I can tell you there was some right language when this happened, words I cannot repeat on here.  :censored:

Went back in the house and had a cup of coffee and a sulk  :(

Eventually I resurfaced and decided to do something simple, I finished off repainting the roads from my previous bodge up with the varnish, all looks fine now  :)

Well I have a couple of dilemmas to resolve on the layout  :-\

1)   First is the signaling, should I have semaphoreís or coloured lights, working or non working. I did purchase many years ago two colour light signal at Warley show from Roger Murray at £8.22 each, one can be seen in place on the layout, the other is worse for wear as I caught it while cleaning the track, probably around 12 months after purchase, the intention at the time was to have all colour lights and working signals, but I am not sure now. Semaphores would suit the scene better but canít decide.  :-\

2)   One of the reasons for the additional control panel was to be able to have hands off shunting, again I canít decide what system to use. At present I have a couple of Peco wagons with their lift arm system, which I installed years ago, and works very well, except for sprung couplings and loco couplings. I have a couple of suitable Farish locoís where they will work occasionally, so may be a slight mod to the locoís coupling may achieve what I want.

I also have some DG frets to make up, I have shunted with these on an exhibition layout, without any problems, except they are fiddly to make and require stock to be modified.

Also, I have some Dapol's Easy Shunt couplings, donít like the magnet set up, would have to change them to rare earth magnets, and donít particularly like the look, again fiddly to get right.

I will probably set up a test track with different couplings and experiment, more decisions to make  :doh:

Anyway, after a gloomy day a photograph taken this evening

Another original Farish, Poole locomotive, this time the Class 40 or for us older ones English Electric Type 4

Unfortunately the locomotive is posed for the picture as it is currently out of service, looks like the dreaded split gear problem, it is presently sidelined with three others that require some sort of repair  :(

isn't the camera cruel, I found out after I took the photograph that the station canopy droops, this is hardly noticeable to the naked eye, (or I need my eyes testing) but is magnified in the photo, they say the camera never lies, now where is photoshop.  ;)

Hope you enjoyed this evening offering of A Day in the Life of Hillsden

Stay Safe

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal