!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 19012 times)

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
Midland Red had pre-cast conctete shelters, rather like your's, usually, although not exclusively, in rural areas.  The ones with the front side covered, as is your's, generally had no ends, just a front and a roof.  The ones with ends, generally had a back but no front.  But you can obviously mix and match because I'm sure that each bus company used different standards.  For examply, Coventry Corporation used exclusively metal pole construction for bus stop poles and shelters, whereas Midland Red used esclusively pre-cast concrete for their poles and shelters.  So I wouldn't worry too much about adhering to a particular prototype.

Thanks again Laurence,

The original intent was to make the shelters open ended, which developed due to long term  stability issues with the model without making the walls a unsightly thickness of say 2mm, hence had to put a return wall in as a compromise on my final prototype.

If my memory serves me well I recall precast shelters in areas of the Calder Valley and remember a shelter in Mytholmroyd on the Halifax bound side, the Hebden Bridge side had a stone built shelter, no doubt somebody will prove me wrong, but I was only eight at the time and thatís 50 plus years ago.

Thanks again for your contribution

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
Mytholmroyd has a bus shelter style structure on platform 1

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2020, 12:34:40 PM »
Mytholmroyd has a bus shelter style structure on platform 1

It does now as the original L&Y building got condemned, which was an interesting building going from road level up to the platforms on the viaduct. I remember being on the platform watching Mallard go through on a charter train in the early sixties

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
Its another day, suns shining and we continue our tour of Hillsden, Today we visit the cinema, however it is too nice outside to go in and sit in the dark watching the latest blockbuster, I understand a Hard Days Night is being screened at present. no doubt it wont be too long before this fine looking building is converted to a bingo hall, or dare I say it a supermarket

The cinema is based on the one in Hessle, East Yorkshire (see photo below) and guess what it is now. The original is based on a area of flat land, however, on Hillsden it is located on Burnley Road, which is inclined, this has necessitated it requiring to be elevated with access steps to the front, the steps still need a little minor adjustment where the steps join in with the pavement.

Again as all my scratch built structures the cinema is constructed of various thicknesses of plastikard and microstrip

The actual cinema was photographed back in November 2003 and the model was constructed shortly afterwards, but was only fixed in its permanent position on the layout recently, along with the construction of the steps, them pesky different levels giving problems again, how I wished I had built a flat layout in the middle of nowhere, it may even have been completed by now.

Hope you enjoyed todays trip and you visit again soon

Keep Well and Stay Safe

Mike H 8)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
P.S.  It's now the Dove House Hospice collection centre.  Oh how the mighty are fallen!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
This evening after a hard days bodging I ran a few trains on Hillsden, one has to occasionally indulge

Above is A4 Silver Fox passing under Midgley Road Bridge, sadly relegated to a freight train, but the loco is far to clean, although a little dusty, certainly needs reallocating to Top Line Duties, the Deltics have not yet appeared on Hillsden and A1/A2 and A3 still run.

I really need to do another video of the layout

Take Care and Stay Safe

Mike H 8)

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
    Looking really splendid Mike, West Yorkshire is mostly hilly so a very good representation, as a Yorkshire man  I approve   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
   stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »
:hellosign::greatpicturessign:
    Looking really splendid Mike, West Yorkshire is mostly hilly so a very good representation, as a Yorkshire man  I approve   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
   stay safe regards Derek

Derek,
 :thankyousign:

Thank you for your approval

Stay safe and well
Mike H 8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »
Today we continue our journey North, slightly up the hill from our stop off point yesterday, the cinema and along Burnley Road, the next structure is the Hillsden and District Omnibus Companies bus depot, rather bereft of bus's today, and all the doors are closed, perhaps it is a Bank Holiday, following further along the road is a row of six two storey stone built terrace houses.

Again all of theses structures are scratch built utilising plain and embossed plastikard and microstrip for the windows.

It is at this point we meet the baseboard joint and Burnley Road begins to level out after the steep incline from its junction with Halifax Road.

Bus Depot

The bus depot is based on the EYMS depot in Elloughton, East Yorkshire, this is next to the Half Moon in which we frequently go to for Lunch and a pint, unfortunately as we all know all public houses are closed at the moment

The original building is built on at grade land, and had to be modified to fit its proposed location which needed appropriate retaining walls to give a level platform for the buses and entrance to the building. The building itself is a faithful representation of the original structure.

The majority of the model was built a few years ago, but lacked a roof, doors and windows to the ancillary building and brickwork to the retaining / boundary walls, these were completed 2019 and the structure finally fixed in place this year. The sign is temporary and will be replaced one day with a proper signboard, similarly the cinema in yesterdays post.

Terrace Houses

This row of terrace houses is of the typical two up and two down with an yard to the rear accessed by the "ten foot" next to the bus depot. These buildings were a challenge to get the levels correct due to the incline of Burnley Road, if you look t the steps into the doorways you will realise I went slightly wrong  :doh:. Again built some time ago and fixed to the layout earlier this year.

Hope you enjoyed todays trip

Keep safe and well

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »
I have enjoyed today's trip mike. Love seeing terraced houses that are on a slope rather than the commercial offerings that are for that flat look and they take into account the northern townscapes

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
I have enjoyed today's trip mike. Love seeing terraced houses that are on a slope rather than the commercial offerings that are for that flat look and they take into account the northern townscapes

Glad you enjoyed todays trip.
For me and I may be wrong but slopes in urban environments are not often modelled. It is a challenge to model buildings to fit into this type of landscape, levels at different sides of the structure and quite easy to make a mess of, even if you measure and draw out properly. I have made many mistakes in mine, but think to some extent I have got away with them. The houses in the picture a case in point two of them are too high, you can tell by the steps. In my case, I knew a level I was starting from but the footpath is now some 2 or 3mm higher than that point ( 12 to 18" in real life, and a big difference in N), not an excuse as that didn't make a difference in the case, those two buildings are just constructed from the wrong datum.

I don't really regret the layout as it is and would encourage others to vary the levels via an open baseboard approach so road, structures etc,  can be accommodated both below and above the level of the railway. I appreciate that many people only have a small amount of space and not a whole room like myself which limits what they can accommodate.

apologies for rabbiting on

Keep Safe and well

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
My point is . You have created what you like and see. Is a northern mill town on the flat ? Not with those cotton mills etc. Realistic and suggest keep going

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
I love different levels on a layout, in the real world everything is not flat apart from possibly in Holland. I intend having different levels on my new layout, I have started by having two track levels. Keep up the good work and Keep Safe.
Lil Chris
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2020, 07:15:42 PM »
Well it has been another bright and sunny day in Hillsden, no rain yet, doesn't bother the population of Hillsden as they don't have any garden yet (still to be built)

Lurking out of focus in the photos I have posted recently there is a English Electric Type 3 (Class 37 to younger readers), well I thought I would bring it up close today, posing in strong sunlight which is reflected on the camera lens

Hope you enjoy

Stay Safe and well

Mike H  8)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2020, 07:22:51 PM »
This is all looking very nice indeed.
A lovely photograph of the EE Type 3 looking just as I remember them in the 60s.
And as for multi levels, slopes and hills on a layout, I totally agree in that it really brings a model to life.
Keep the updates coming.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal