!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 19702 times)

J sorby and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2020, 07:24:45 PM »
How many people do you need ? Try northwestern models economy pack, price is good 20 in there

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
I bought lots of little people of e-bay not sure if they are still available but they were dirt cheap.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
I bought lots of little people of e-bay not sure if they are still available but they were dirt cheap.
How many people do you need ? Try northwestern models economy pack, price is good 20 in there

Cheers for your suggestions

Mike H 8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »
Mike. Kevin 0161 494 2738. Nw models

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »
a sort of lean to tent that badgers could travel around with because they worked exclusively in woodland and not in a fixed workshop.

I knew badgers frequented woodland but I didn't know they camped out or worked in fixed workshops! :no:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2020, 06:32:22 AM »
a sort of lean to tent that badgers could travel around with because they worked exclusively in woodland and not in a fixed workshop.

I knew badgers frequented woodland but I didn't know they camped out or worked in fixed workshops! :no:
Whenever I make a typo, Mick finds a way to capitalise on it.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2020, 02:25:57 PM »
Another day in Hillsden, lockdown has been lifted (not that you would notice in this scene) and we are now able to visit the local shops along Halifax Road opposite the Sweet Factory.

the shops comprise a tobacconist, small supermarket, café, Hardware Store and Estate Agents, however, the main town centre is to the west of the station and not within the confines of the layout.

Again the shops are of a freelance design and all consist of three floors, some also having an extension to the rear. The buildings again are built from plastikard and were started sometime ago, however the shop fronts were only constructed recently, there is an elevated footway and small retaining wall to the front of the shops, this had to be constructed due to the steep fall of the junction of Burnley Road with Halifax Road and the slight incline of Halifax road to the East (in other words it was a neat solution to a bodge up in design levels and the evolution of the landscape over time

Due to the proximity of other structures it is very difficult to get good photo's as you re limited in the angles you can use

the above picture is the back of the shops showing the access lane, (which still requires finishing) and the extensions to some of the shops to give a larger retail space within. General clutter and dustbins all required to those back yards, and no doubt the odd person and possibly a van making a delivery would help to complete the scene.

I see the sun has been shining on Hillsden again today

Hope you enjoyed the latest tour of Hillsden

Keep well and stay safe
Mike H  8)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »
Smashing. I actually think the raised footpath and the retaining wall make great features rather than a bodge to cover up the change of level.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2020, 02:44:38 PM »
Smashing. I actually think the raised footpath and the retaining wall make great features rather than a bodge to cover up the change of level.

I do agree it does look rather good and fits in well

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »

I do agree it does look rather good and fits in well
Seconded!
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Hi All,

A couple of days ago I posted the picture below as a first attempt at a prototype for the three bus shelters required on Hillsden, which ended upon being too large and required modifying.  :doh:

Well over the last two evenings I have developed a second prototype that fits, please see photo below (it is sited on Hillsden in its final position, but temporarily held in place with BluTak), it would have been great and fits well but I stupidly glued it the wrong way round and had to pull it apart after it set hard,  :veryangry: damaging the end panel which is bent and doesn't fit against the front wall very well and generally looks a mess in the enlarged photo. The actual model is only 26mm long x 8mm overall, with a 4mm wide end window panel.

[/quote]

In this prototype I have thinned the walls down to 20tho from 60tho, which causes a stability issue regarding bending and warping over time, to overcome this I have increased the roof thickness to 40tho plus 20tho asbestos cement cladding, also constructed a 3mm x 3mm solid seat at the base of the internal sides of the walls.

I am now pleased with the size and shape but needs a return wall at the lower end to replicate the upper end (shown in photo), this should make the structure very rigid.

No structure I have constructed has ever caused me so much hassle, which I hope will be worth it.

I can now with confidence  :hmmm:, providing I can stop making stupid errors continue with the three shelters for the layout.

The next posting on the shelters will be the completed ones in place on the layout, that's a promise

Take Care and Keep Safe

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »
All part of the learning. It's pretty good mike. I do like the pavements too not quite hovis country scene stuff but a real northern mill town is taking shape

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2020, 08:18:29 AM »
Hi Mike

I'm not sure wether this will be helpul or a hinderance, but here's a picture of a triple bus shelter in Coventry from the post-war period, taken from the pavement side.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »

I'm not sure wether this will be helpul or a hinderance, but here's a picture of a triple bus shelter in Coventry from the post-war period, taken from the pavement side.

Hi Laurence,
Thank you for posting the photo, which is very similar to my original concept ie a fully enclosed shelter, although I had entrance and exit at each end, that was the first prototype, however, was not clear in the photo I posted. As stated I made a fundamental error of not checking the pavement width (lazy on my part) which meant the shelter was far too big, I had two options 1) locally widen the footpath to create a bus bay type scenario or 2) redesign the shelter to fit. I chose the latter option which has now become a open type shelter. The design of the shelter is to represent a precast concrete shelter, which may not be apparent from my photograph as there are certain elements that have not been added.

Again thanks for your interest, which is much appreciated 

Take care and keep Safe

Mike H 8)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
Midland Red had pre-cast conctete shelters, rather like your's, usually, although not exclusively, in rural areas.  The ones with the front side covered, as is your's, generally had no ends, just a front and a roof.  The ones with ends, generally had a back but no front.  But you can obviously mix and match because I'm sure that each bus company used different standards.  For examply, Coventry Corporation used exclusively metal pole construction for bus stop poles and shelters, whereas Midland Red used esclusively pre-cast concrete for their poles and shelters.  So I wouldn't worry too much about adhering to a particular prototype.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50%