!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 11961 times)

mdt320, golden oldie, Milton Rail and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #510 on: June 29, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »
Hillsden Day 64

What a change to the weather, it is windy and showery here in Hillsden and the temperature has dropped from its highs of last week.

This week is the start of a new norm for me, now venturing out with the dogs, today it was just one dog, Ruby, who I took along the roads, strange going through the station car parks as there were only three cars, where in normal times people fight for spaces, often with people parking illegally.  :worried:

Trans Pennine Express are actually looking for land to build a third car park for the station due to the parking problems, will it ever be needed, will we get back to pre Covid19 passenger levels, who knows.

After taking Ruby for a walk, as usual I got on with some household chores, followed by a video conference with ex colleagues, also another video conference mid afternoon with members of the North Lincolnshire Area Group of the Society. Hopefully soon we will soon be able to meet up as a group and get on with building our new exhibition layout.  :doh:

Eventually after lunch I ventured to Hillsden, not knowing which of the hundred tasks on the list I was going to undertake.

Well the decision was soon made, as I donned the chest waders to work in the canal, there was a couple of cracks in the puddle clay, so I got out the Perfect Plastic Putty and carefully reinstated the puddle clay seal to the canal. When dry the brown / black mix was reinstated, then when dry it will again be flooded with a green / brown wash to check that the canal no longer leaks, if happy then a satin varnish will be applied, if the surface of the satin varnish is not reflective enough then will change to gloss, however, I only want to achieve a slight shimmer to the surface.  ::)

Once the varnish coats have been applied and all is satisfactory then work can finally start on the landscaping to the canal area, this should make a big difference to the layout.

Next on the list was a visit to Thornbers yard to further the work on the concrete pavement, to-date the pavement had had only one coat of concrete colour, so a second and final coat was applied. When the paint has dried and cured, the area will be given weathering treatment, not decided yet what method to use, but possibly the same as the footpaths, which was coating with a darker colour and partially removing. May also give the area a dirty was as well, just need to see out it works out.  ::)

The councils, contractors have also been busy in Hillsden they have been around causing hold ups with the stop-go boards as they did minor repairs, all looks well now and the surface repairs have blended in.  ::)

The main roads on Hillsden in reality should have road markings, but when a standard marking is 100mm wide, which is approx 0.7mm wide to scale, therefore seems a pointless exercise unless you make them over scale, so Nbodger has decided not to include them on any of the roads.  ???

NBodger is also awaiting a couple of packages this week for Hillsden, nothing really exciting like a new locomotive or rolling stock, but final set of Ratio ladders for the signals, so will soon be able to complete them. The other package is some small magnets, so I can conduct some trials on hands free uncoupling, so a little bit of shunting can be done.

I am slowly painting the signals that have been completed, but do not propose any more signal update photographs until they are in place on the layout.

I have also to make a decision of when to disconnect the main control panel and undertake the various modifications, plus alterations to the fiddle yard. The fiddle yard is one area of the layout that has not appeared on the forum, when it does, it will show the inadequacies of Nbodgers joinery skills.

Due to space the main control panel was mounted vertical, but this makes it difficult to operate, I am minded to build a support frame on castors to mount the panel on at an angle, the castors will allow it to be moved under the layout for storage and access.

Sorry no update pictures this evening, as the development is only visually minor.  :(

However, i went back to Hillsden this evening and had a little photo session, here is the result, hope you enjoy  ;)

Ivatt 2MT Pulls into Platform 2 with an early evening working of Mark 1 Suburban Stock, taking the workers home in time for tea after a hard days work in the city.

I never intended to purchase any Suburban stock for Hillsden, however, these were a Christmas present from my wife and daughter a few years ago.

Well that’s it for today, so thank you for taking the time to view.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:37:39 AM by Nbodger »

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #511 on: June 30, 2020, 08:27:26 PM »
Hillsden Day 65

The day has been overcast and warm, with no rain, well what happened today and did old NBodger get along to Hillsden or was he outwitted by Mrs N, read on and find out.  :confused1:

Well after breakfast I accompanied Mrs N to take the dogs for a walk, it was my longest walk since lockdown, we were out for around 90 minutes, yes I was tired out when we got back and ready for a rejuvenating cup of coffee, and surprised Mrs N made it, what was she after?

Did a couple of household tasks around the house and then ventured back outside to cut the lawn, I hadn’t been able to cut it for nearly a week, it had really shot up, and was desperately in need of a trim, just like my hair.

As usual had a chunter and a moan whilst cutting the grass, you see Mrs N every year always plants her flowers too near the border, so I have got a little fed up of telling her every year, so if they expand onto my grass then the mower wins every time.  >:(

When I had finished cutting the grass, it was lunch time, unusually Mrs N, made my lunch, what is she after?  :confused1:

Well I soon found out as she disappeared into the garden, without her little helper, the cocker spaniel, suddenly I realised I had again been outwitted and left high and dry in the house with two dogs to entertain.  :doh:

After I had had lunch, I ignored the dogs and disappeared upstairs to my workbench and started those little jobs that take a disproportionate amount of time to do. In this instance it was painting various bits and pieces, you know the ones where you spend ten minutes stirring a tinlet of paint for one dip of the brush to paint the required job. Don’t you just hate these little time consuming tasks.

Eventually Mrs N came in from the garden and guess what Nbodger ran along the path to Hillsden, nicknamed Paradise.

The first job in Hillsden was to finish the concrete paving to Thornbers yard, this was achieved by coating in enamel paint of a dark grey, which has a bit of a purple hue to it, this was quickly removed leaving only traces, followed by a thin coating of white spirit to remove more paint residue and polish individual slabs. This was the same technique used for the footways on Hillsden. All that is left is to give the whole area of matt varnish to tone it down. See the results in the photograph below

The next job was to don the chest waders again and work in the canal, this was to give the canal a final weathering was before weathering, a Matt brown and Matt green were mixed 50:50 with copious amounts of thinners. After applying this has been left to completely dry prior to the varnish applications.

I wish to have some reeds in the redundant canal, so today I attempted to grow some before transplanting, this comprised a layer of PVA glue laid on a non stick surface and laying of the reeds in the glue, when dry, this will be followed by subsequent layers to form clumps, that hopefully can be trimmed and glued in place within the canal, fingers crossed.

Also the first of my expected packages arrived today, this was the small magnets, so will be able to get on with the remote uncoupling trials soon. The second package is due tomorrow.

Well that is all I have got done on Hillsden today, which I spent around three and a half hours working, doesn’t time fly when you are enjoying yourself.

Last night I was looking through some old photos and discovered a part made video from the stills, these photographs were taken in 2012 and 2013 on the North York Moors and the Nene Valley Railway, anyway, I finished it off last night and thought I would share it with you. It is only very short, but I thought it would make a change to see the real thing. Enjoy

After yesterday’s photo of the Ivatt on the evening local, well it returned this morning tender first, hauling the first local service of the morning to Leeds, the station was quite busy because, as the Ivatt waited to depart from platform 3, a stopping service from Leeds to Liverpool approached platform 2 hauled by a Hughes Fowler Crab.

Well another day ends, hope you have enjoyed this evening’s read and return soon to Hillsden

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:48:55 PM by Nbodger »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #512 on: June 30, 2020, 08:35:37 PM »
Hi mike. One day you will ask mrs nbodger for time to do modelling substantially . Look forward to the reeds in the canal, but seriously you wrote a quality paragraph on the disused canal and methods used

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: July 01, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »
Hi mike. One day you will ask mrs nbodger for time to do modelling substantially . Look forward to the reeds in the canal, but seriously you wrote a quality paragraph on the disused canal and methods used

Chris,
I just hope the reeds work, if they do I may want to add more, which will delay completion of the canal.

Mrs Nbodger occasionally encourages me to go to Hillsden, well I think that is what she means  :no:

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #514 on: July 01, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »
Hillsden Day 66

This morning woke up to a damp day, I had already made it known that I wasnít going on a hike with both dogs as I was tired out. All that walking over the last few days has finally got to me, certainly isnít the alcohol as I have had one small bottle in that time.

It was a big day today, another small package was due to arrive, I had the email to say it would be delivered today, nothing exciting in it though.

I did finally spend the gift vouchers that my daughter gave me for Fatherís Day, ordering an helping hands and magnifier, as it gets harder to see small objects and also to hold items whilst working on them, hopefully that will arrive sometime next week.

Well after lunch, I did venture into Hillsden with not a lot of enthusiasm, what did I manage to achieve, not a lot, but work that was required to open up more opportunities to allow future work to be done.

First Nbodger attacked the canal flooding it with a coat of Ronseal satin varnish from a very old tin that has been sat on a shelf in the garage since donít know when. The lid and parts of the tin where showing extreme signs of rust. Anyway, I never bothered giving the varnish a stir as I would prefer it on the glossy side, unfortunately we had no gloss varnish readily available. The first coat did dry glossier than satin. After five hours just before our evening meal NBodger gave the canal another coat of varnish and leaving overnight to dry. The canal will have a few more coats yet, however if it does not look glossy enough when finished then I will have to shell out for a small tin of gloss varnish, so hereís hoping all is ok.

I am quite happy at the finish of the canal after the second coat of varnish, however it is still very much wet, if I can achieve this look on completion I will be very happy, you may not agree, take a look at the photo below and tell me what you think

It must be a day for varnish because old NBodger then got out the Winsor and Newton matt varnish he had recently purchased and gave all of the road surfaces a final coat of varnish to finally remove any little areas of sheen from the roads. It has taken a few weeks to get to this in Nbodgers eyes a satisfactory outcome, again very pleased. The choice of Winsor and Newton varnish was purely down to posts I have read on the forum, to which I thank you all.

This will now allow the council to come along and erect all of the street lighting columns, I am also now looking to permanently fix the station buildings and install the platform lights, which are already along with the station name boards to finally give it, its name.

So, some big changes to look out for

Also gave the paving to Thornbers yard a coat of matt varnish, this will allow this area to have some final detailing added, the oil tanks are already in the paint shop, patiently waiting their turn. Nbodger also needs to build a materials store structure for this area.

Finally, Nbodger did some more work on the reeds for the canal, please see photo below, which shows my method of constructing them, when dry they will cut up and glued into clumps and placed in the relevant locations in the canal, before the final varnish coats.

Well that it all for today, which has been a slow day, just a minute, donít go yet, yesterday I managed to photo the Crab departing platform 2 and travelling under Midgley Road Bridge with the early morning Leeds Liverpool stopping train shown In yesterdayís post arriving at platform 2.

Oh I forgot to tell you the package finally arrived around 4:00pm, it was only a final set of Ratio etched ladders required for the signals, which is a very small packet, but arrived in a box around half the size of a shoe box, what a waste og packaging. Still it will get recycled when i send off a ouple of loco's for repair.  :doh:

Thank you for reading, hope you have enjoyed todayís visit

Stay safe

Mike H  8) 8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #515 on: July 01, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
Mike. I too use Windsor newton
 Will look really effective with a few more strokes of varnish and impressive muddy towpath I like. Certainly works well with working inwards with green, brown, black paints. Lovely photo of the Crab too. Certainly like the warehouse by the canal and pleased you made an essential purchase on the helping hands magnified. Chris
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:23:24 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #516 on: July 01, 2020, 09:46:00 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
  The canal is looking really superb, nice work Mike   :thumbsup:
    stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: July 01, 2020, 10:26:27 PM »
The canal looks just fine to me, Mike

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #518 on: July 02, 2020, 07:49:40 AM »
Mike. I too use Windsor newton
 Will look really effective with a few more strokes of varnish and impressive muddy towpath I like. Certainly works well with working inwards with green, brown, black paints. Lovely photo of the Crab too. Certainly like the warehouse by the canal and pleased you made an essential purchase on the helping hands magnified. Chris

Thanks Chris for your feedback.

Unfortunately the helping hands, wonít get the layout finished any quicker.

The canal colouring is a combination of various shades of green and brown enamels only, with no black added. The addition of black would have overpowered the other shades.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #519 on: July 02, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »
Excellent modelling Mike.
The canal looks really effective.
In my opinion a waterway, be it canal or river or whatever, really adds interest to a layout.
Keep up the good work.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: July 02, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »
It reflects the buildings very nicely.  :thumbsup:

However, shouldn't it be darker?  :hmmm:

I've always been a fan of the American method of modelling water.... make it black, so it reflects the sky and surrounds like a low grade mirror.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #521 on: July 02, 2020, 07:59:39 AM »
I've only used black on the canal piling and towpath

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #522 on: July 02, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
:hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
  The canal is looking really superb, nice work Mike   :thumbsup:
    stay safe regards Derek.

The canal looks just fine to me, Mike

Excellent modelling Mike.
The canal looks really effective.
In my opinion a waterway, be it canal or river or whatever, really adds interest to a layout.
Keep up the good work.

Martin

Martin @port perran , Derek @cornish yorkie and Mick @Newportnobby

Thank you for your comments / feedback on the canal finish, much appreciated, the area will soon be looking completely different when the landscape works are completed (I hope).

My only reservation about building a canal is the fact that I may end up in it one day, if Mrs N has her way.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »
It reflects the buildings very nicely.  :thumbsup:

However, shouldn't it be darker?  :hmmm:

I've always been a fan of the American method of modelling water.... make it black, so it reflects the sky and surrounds like a low grade mirror.

Hi George @Bealman

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

With regards whether the canal should be darker or not, I donít believe there is a correct answer as so many variants effect how we view water. I could for instance take a photo of the same stretch of water seven days in a row and in each photograph the water would appear different.

The colour, depends on the silt content, algae, the sky, sunlight, reflections etc. So to me there is no right colour as it is very subjective.

The room lights do not help in the photo as they show a very bright streak across the canal, which does not reflect the true colour, when the layout has its own lighting system, then hopefully this anomaly will be sorted

It maybe when the landscaping is completed the water looks too light, if so I will probably adjust.

Again thanks for your thoughts

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #524 on: July 02, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »
Hi Mike,

I think the canal looks really good, and has a good colour to it. As you say, it can change so much depending on environmental factors.

I found this picture which shows a few variations, and I think its a close match to yours, so good job I'd say!

And this aerial shot shows some good variations in different bodies of water

Cheers,

Jimmy

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything