!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 19017 times)

GrahamB and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »
Very nice pics, love your mill buildings like I said before. The bridges are good too, now that is something I can manage to make. I scratch built a couple of girder bridge’s on my old layout “East Lancashire Lines”, I made one removable too for easy access. I need to make some for this layout, I still have the old ones but not sure if they are the right size.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2020, 10:25:33 PM »
Very nice pics, love your mill buildings like I said before. The bridges are good too, now that is something I can manage to make. I scratch built a couple of girder bridge’s on my old layout “East Lancashire Lines”, I made one removable too for easy access. I need to make some for this layout, I still have the old ones but not sure if they are the right size.

If not the right size, would it be possible to re-use the abutments and just rebuild the deck construction

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
On todays tour of Hillsden I feature the row of isolated terraced houses at the Southern end of the town, situated on Sunnybank which is off Scout Road, adjacent to Scout Road Bridge which can just be made out on the far right of the picture.

The row of houses are scratch built using plain plastikard and clad in embossed small stone plastikard, painted and weathered, the windows are constructed using microstrip. The design is freelance based on appropriate room layout, assumed room sizes and wall thickness. The Asbestos Cement clad garage to the forefront of the picture is similarly constructed using plastikard and microstrip. The road itself is constructed of 2mm brick embossed plastikard used to emulate stone sett paving.

The view above is the rear of the terrace, as can be seen there is a lot of gardening to do, another project for a rainy day, along with sheds, cold frames and greenhouse to build. The property dividing fence are all scratch built using microstrip, one fence is only partially built, the intention is to have a cameo scene of the remainder under construction with appropriate figures if I can source some relevant ones, if not then a pile of fencing rails ready for installation will be modeled along with the odd plank laid up against the partial constructed fence.

Hope you enjoyed the post.

Take care and keep safe

Mike H  8)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2020, 03:47:51 PM »
Excellent modelling.
Using scratch built structures certainly add an air of individuality to your layout.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
Excellent modelling.
Using scratch built structures certainly add an air of individuality to your layout.

As ever thank you for your kind comments.
I am humbled by everybody's comments regarding my layout over the past few days which are much appreciated and spur me on to get things finished.

Mike H  8)

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2020, 05:45:24 PM »
Yes crash on with the layout, nice houses and the little garage finishes them off.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
Kind of feeling I'm. Standing outside on that street. Certainly looking forward to more mike

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »
Thought I would have a day off from the railway room, so set about working at my workbench. I decided to spend some time building a prototype bus shelter, as I need three shelters along station road, which is at the front of the layout and would be sat 50mm from the edge, so no bodging then.

I already had a drawing done of what I required, so set about working out how to build it and eventually sort of built it. it took most of the day in between cups of coffee and biscuits (chocolate digestives) to build. This evening went to the layout to see how it would look, found it was too big for the footpath width (plonker should have checked).

Well at least I got the look I was after, just need to modify, in this case rebuild. The picture above looks as though it is lopsided, this is because it is designed for a inclined road. There is also a lot more detail to add before it would have been finished. Better see what tomorrow brings.

Now you all know that I just bodge things and hence the name

Take Care and Keep Safe

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
Postman arrived early today with a package of goodies from Squires.

It was always my intention to be able to shunt the goods yard and bay platforms with some form of auto uncoupling, one problem arose as the layout progressed, The operator can no longer see adequately the goods yard area from the main control panel attached to the fiddle yard.

The solution is to build a secondary slave control panel at the front of the layout which covers the station / goods yard area and connected to the main control panel.

On completion of the new panel this will give a new dynamic to the operation of the layout. It will mean that three operators can operate the layout to its full potential or when on my own operating I have a nice shunting layout to play with, a operation I enjoy.

It was always the intention 27 or so years ago to build the layout for exhibition, but years later I doubt that will ever happen but at least I will have fulfilled the operational intention.

You will have probably guessed by now that the package of goodies contains various switches, connectors and wire to make this happen.

What have I done another load of work to do and the layouts nowhere near complete.

Progress on the panel once started will be reported on here but may be a few days before I start, as I have to build the box and mimic board yet.

One day I will be able to play trains to my hearts content

Take care and keep Safe

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »
We continue the photographic journey around Hillsden, today we take a look at the sweet factory (not Sweat), which is situated on Halifax Road opposite the row of shops and backs onto the towpath of the redundant canal (still to be completed). See aerial view below.

This area was the latest building to be construction which was undertaken early 2019; completed in May. It was constructed off the layout as a complete drop in unit, but had many level challenges to fit with the surrounding area, the problems were that Halifax Road is on a slight incline and the redundant canal has a lock to contend with so the whole thing became something of a compromise, I am afraid I failed on most levels and have had to botch areas to make it fit, hope you don't spot them.

The main office building was based on photographs of the Rowntree's (Nestle) office in York, adopting the window arrangement and designed to fit in an awkward shaped area which is evident from the aerial view, the remainder of the site was totally freelance design but continued the window layout as a common theme. the office block was a challenge as it was built using slightly different methods of construction to the other buildings, this change was caused by the window type and layout. I would normally build a structure out of plain plastikard followed by an embossed layer, they cut out for the windows and the windows built individually and fitted from behind. On this occasion the starting point was the glazing layer, with the windows and brickwork built up on the glazing layer base. This meant that each side of the building was built flat before gluing it all together with a base, roof and internal floors and a lot of praying that it would all fit together, which I am pleased to say it did. You may notice damage to the leading edge of the office, this was done during installation on the layout and only requires touching up, another job on the list.

The above views show the building from the rear (Redundant Canal Side), it is not quite clear from the pictures but the rear of the factory is lower than Halifax Road and has a ramped access from Halifax Road. The lower view is from the roof of the Mill which stands on the other side of the canal.

Apologies for the quality of the photo's the railway room light has caused a reflection on some so it looks as though the photo's were taken into the sun, until the layout has its own lighting system this is going a problem in some areas, yet another job to do.

that all folks hope you enjoyed, now back to constructing those pesky bus shelters  and possible a bit of painting waggons

Take Care and Keep Safe

Mike H 8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2020, 04:14:34 PM »
Sometimes it's natural to see your buildings lit up by the sun  , please do not apologise.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »
Wow, Mike. Those pics brought back some happy memories of when I sold flexible packaging to Nestlé/Rowntree/Mackintosh and I was a a frequent visitor to their factories in Halifax, York, Newcastle and Norwich. Just shows how good your buildings are.
 :thankyousign:

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
Just had a worrying thought, yes I know it’s dangerous.

I am just coming to realise that to populate Hillsden with people and vehicles is going to cost me a fortune.   :(

When we can venture out again and go to a model shop must remember to take my wife with me, I only have to look at one vehicle in the shop and she will say “why don’t you get some more whilst we are here. I will by them for you”.

It’s times like this you wish you had done a country layout, without buildings and roads  :doh:

Take care and keep Safe

Mike H 8)

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
All good stuff, Mike.  It's a shame that the term bodger has become associated with poor workmanship.  Bodgers were skilled craftsmen who worked with green wood.  Also of poor repute is the term 'hovel'.  A hovel was a bodgers workshop, a sort of lean to tent that badgers could travel around with because they worked exclusively in woodland and not in a fixed workshop.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »
All good stuff, Mike.  It's a shame that the term bodger has become associated with poor workmanship.  Bodgers were skilled craftsmen who worked with green wood.  Also of poor repute is the term 'hovel'.  A hovel was a bodgers workshop, a sort of lean to tent that badgers could travel around with because they worked exclusively in woodland and not in a fixed workshop.

Thanks Laurence

Now I know I have made it  “a skilled craftsman” working in a “hovel”
Success at last

Mike H 8)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations