!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's  (Read 2965 times)

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Re: Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2020, 06:55:10 PM »
I've happy to report I've fixed the point issue thanks to help in the other thread (slight bend in the closure rail).

I also started to play around with iTrain, more to come.

Happy to report my locos run all over the track and points at a crawl, even without cleaning - nice.

Even better; there's no wobble, jiggle or other visual annoyance when locos travel over points. :)

Excellent news Ted, I am really pleased for you.

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Online Ted

• N Gauge Society Number: 28852
  • Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2020, 06:58:48 PM »
Excellent news Ted, I am really pleased for you.

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Thanks Mike - it's been two long weekends of wiring and fiddling, but - it's done.

I think I've learnt some new things in the process too.  :D
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »
I also started to play around with iTrain, more to come.

I've just handed over the money for that myself.  After a couple of months using the eval copy I'm confident it'll do everything I want, even if there are one or two gaps in my understanding so far :thumbsup:

Online Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
I've just handed over the money for that myself.  After a couple of months using the eval copy I'm confident it'll do everything I want, even if there are one or two gaps in my understanding so far :thumbsup:

Thankfully the manual is only 209 pages, should be a breeze...  :smiley-laughing:

To be fair, the layout creation is easy enough. The complexity is automating everything to the level you want - that I've yet to dip in to.

Just not Eddie.

Online Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2020, 07:13:19 PM »
Another iTrain newby here! I can run trains and switch points but I really need to finish laying the first couple of loops before I get too into it.
Cheers Colin

Online Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
Another iTrain newby here! I can run trains and switch points but I really need to finish laying the first couple of loops before I get too into it.
Cheers Colin

Same here, I can use the switchboard for points and routes - I did that this afternoon.

Only started to test my block detection.

Problem is, this will slow down the modelling side ... but, this is running trains, which is the whole point.  ;D

I was going to build the other 5ft board, make sure all wiring is okay before doing the scenics. However, I feel that will really slow me down so I'll probably do the scenery on this board first before moving on.

Just not Eddie.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2020, 09:39:38 PM »
Also planning iTrain for the next layout here, so watching with interest! Can't decide whether to use Railcom detectors in the fiddle yard, or if they just don't really bring much to the party!

Online Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »
Not a lot to report visually at the minute, however I have iTrain running 3 test shuttles over 2 routes and it's flawless. Even had a play with sound events for flange squeal when entering and leaving a point, for example.

In other, breaking news: the carpenter has been to measure up the loft. I have more space than I realised, 33ft in fact... just a shame 'only' 17ft is useable. But that's great because I had planned for 14ft - so yes, my plans are expanding (more flexibility with a double yard). :D

Velux and loft conversion (insulation, power, boarding etc) starts in a few weeks and should be done end of July.

Just not Eddie.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »
Sounds like progression ted. In the meantime guess it's more sketching and planning, preparing and visualising table layout legs, storage etc

Online Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »
Sounds like progression ted. In the meantime guess it's more sketching and planning, preparing and visualising table layout legs, storage etc

Indeed. I don't want to do the scenery until I've got my second open frame done, which is my next task now I know my first is working perfectly.

I feel like it's more important to be patient, get the track and electrics right, before jumping on the scenics and appearance.  :)

This is a rough idea of where things should go (no smart remarks about how my 'yards' work ;D):

Each up and down line is 1.45 scale miles. Two yards to store full length trains. No loop by design, trains must run point to point as they would in reality.

2/3rds of the plan are 'off scene' and not scenic. I'm not sure if this is too much really, but I'm more concerned about making Shirebrook look very good and running prototypical.

Just not Eddie.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
I like your plan ted. I believe patience is the right way to go and I myself only had photos to go on from memory . Look forward to more. Chris

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »
How did loaded/empty trains run through Shirebrook?

You may want to rethink your end-to-end design if loaded trains go one way and empty trains the other otherwise you'll have lots of wagons to empty for their return journey. It maybe worth converting to a full circuit for wagon workings even if you take locos off at one end and run them onto an empty train for their return journey.

Steven B.

Online Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2020, 05:36:39 PM »
How did loaded/empty trains run through Shirebrook?

You may want to rethink your end-to-end design if loaded trains go one way and empty trains the other otherwise you'll have lots of wagons to empty for their return journey. It maybe worth converting to a full circuit for wagon workings even if you take locos off at one end and run them onto an empty train for their return journey.

Steven B.

It's a good point Steven, and one I had previously considered and completely forgotten about.  :doh:

Originally I was going to run a helix at each end and put two yards underneath with a 'handover' in the middle i.e. a track where empties and full loads would switchover to reflect the A-B load and emptying.

However, with more space I scraped the helix idea as a) they actually take up more space for reliable full load running and b) they add more stain on the loco gears and motor.

But, you just reminded me that I've failed to remember the handover!

Fortunately I do have the option of a joining piece from the two yards. There's a boiler there in a cupboard, I could make it either run behind or have a drop-down plank.

Just not Eddie.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »

6) My accessory bus is clearly wrong... if there's a short I can't control the Cobalts even though they're not on the main bus!

Are they Cobalt Digitals?
If you use the built in Frog switching then you've connected your track bus, via the point frog, to the accessory bus. There is an independent switch that you can use to keep the accessory bus separate from the track bus.

On a RailCom note, I updated all my Zimo decoders to the latest firmware rev (3.9), and found that there seems to be a limit of around 8 or 9 locos per block section before RailCom starts to struggle.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »

6) My accessory bus is clearly wrong... if there's a short I can't control the Cobalts even though they're not on the main bus!

Are they Cobalt Digitals?
If you use the built in Frog switching then you've connected your track bus, via the point frog, to the accessory bus. There is an independent switch that you can use to keep the accessory bus separate from the track bus.

On a RailCom note, I updated all my Zimo decoders to the latest firmware rev (3.9), and found that there seems to be a limit of around 8 or 9 locos per block section before RailCom starts to struggle.

Regards,

John P

Hi John,

They are Cobalt IPs. I've wired the 'accessory' bus to the DR5000 track output - I believe this is the issue. Even though it's isolated from the track bus (that runs from the 5088 detection units), the 5000 doesn't understand that and cuts the power.

I think I have two options:

1) power from a decoder unit, which powers itself and only communicates with the DR5000 over the track output from the 5000 - it doesn't take the power, just reads the signal.

2) leave it as is and avoid having shorts!

Option 1 would require removing the current accessory wiring replacing it, which is a pain! :doh:

Just not Eddie.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything