!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Konigsbrucke - Swiss N gauge layout 1997 - 2005 (and some present day stock)  (Read 1682 times)

Offline cornish trains jez

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Alternatively strip some rail out of Peco code 55 flex, with PCB sleepers it'd probably be about the right height to match the code 55 plain rail, given the rail is actually 0.083" tall.

Peco 55 on PCB sleepers would look totally wrong with its "double T" unless you ground off the lower section. Way too much effort, just go for one of the other brands.

I had a look at a strip of Peco code 55 rail last night and it would be quite an effort to get the bottom section removed. I had a go at filing it and also trying to cut it off.
I think the Atlas rail could well be the way forward soldered onto PCB strip.

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Awards
I managed to get another building mocked up in card last night. Its the Coop building adjacent to Pratteln station. I wasn't initially going to model this but having measured, it seems I have the space to have this in between the post container depot and the motive power depot. Here are a couple of photos and I'll get another posed on the layout later.
I've still go the building behind it to do but it gives an idea of how it will look.

Here is my card mock up..

...and the real thing.

Jeremy

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:28:08 AM by cornish trains jez »

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
I managed to get another building mocked up in card last night. Its the Coop building adjacent to Pratteln station. I wasn't initially going to model this but having measured, it seems I have the space to have this in between the post container depot and the motive power depot. Here are a couple of photos and I'll get another posed on the layout later.
I've still go the building behind it to do but it gives an idea of how it will look.

Here is my card mock up..

...and the real thing.

Jeremy

And it gives you the excuse to buy some Coop wagons. :thumbsup: :D
John

Online swisstrains

• Awards

I had a look at a strip of Peco code 55 rail last night and it would be quite an effort to get the bottom section removed. I had a go at filing it and also trying to cut it off.

Jeremy

Rather than buy some Code 40 rail I did this once to make some guard rails for one of my bridges. It took forever. :D
John

• Awards

Jeremy

Rather than buy some Code 40 rail I did this once to make some guard rails for one of my bridges. It took forever. :D

Labour of love then John. Mind you, your layout is amazing!

• Awards
Afternoon all,

Here is a quick photo of how the layout now looks with the Coop building posed in place. I have photo shopped around the layout as the garage looks messy around the layout.

Jeremy

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards

Jeremy

That's dedication!   Finetrax code 40 rail for my guard rails.  I like that it's just below running rail height so doesn't get attacked by the track rubber  :)  I need to add more along the outside of the running rails, when I can get around to it.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

• Awards

Jeremy

That's dedication!   Finetrax code 40 rail for my guard rails.  I like that it's just below running rail height so doesn't get attacked by the track rubber  :)  I need to add more along the outside of the running rails, when I can get around to it.

Look good that!

• Awards
Hi,

Had a bash at building the bridge across the river today. I found a prototype which spans over the river Sihl just outside Sihlbrugg station. It's a concrete construction and is single track but thought it would make a nice modern style structure with the four tracks running across it, and its not a particularly long bridge either. I'm wondering whether I need to add a centre support or not, comments and suggestions welcome!

I made the end supports from softwood off cuts that I had and then built the bridge out of various bits of plasticard and square strip. Then an all over coat of plasticote suede as a base to then paint and weather. The suede plasticote gives a nice concrete texture.

Here are some step by step progress shots...

Jeremy

• Awards

Online swisstrains

• Awards
..............................I'm wondering whether I need to add a centre support or not, comments and suggestions welcome!

Hi Jeremy. Not sure if it's the correct bridge over the Sihl but the one that I have found has an intermediate support about one EW lV coach length from the bank. Your bridge looks quite a bit longer than one coach length so I would say that a bridge of this design probably does require a centre support.

While I have been typing you have confirmed that I am thinking of the same bridge. :D
John

Online swisstrains

• Awards
Sec
..............................I'm wondering whether I need to add a centre support or not, comments and suggestions welcome!

Hi Jeremy. Not sure if it's the correct bridge over the Sihl but the one that I have found has an intermediate support about one EW lV coach length from the bank. Your bridge looks quite a bit longer than one coach length so I would say that a bridge of this design probably does require a centre support.

While I have been typing you have confirmed that I am thinking of the same bridge. :D

Second thoughts....... it isn't the same bridge. The span in the one in your photo appears to be much longer than a coach length ....so much for my theory.  :-[

This is the bridge I was looking at.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/qZb3Vw5UBBfbNnQlRyX_7lXqBTvaxk61jaPSwNG4mbYesxQ3z_03O8k2imGgFFGdYiDFQwHjF4W0HHIGN9ETVQBT0viw2YE7R7zkWZYFGKU3xGqKRjzB1IXSJPdDZ4JbejJxmhIEK_c_4Ge9DZvrOgsst6-WDu9kqkjjhd9dEokxPCySm3RBR6MX8C_qJrSselnjiOAKjhe_hA
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:34:57 PM by swisstrains »
John

• Awards
Sec

Second thoughts....... it isn't the same bridge. The span in the one in your photo appears to be much longer than a coach length ....so much for my theory.  :-[

This is the bridge I was looking at.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/qZb3Vw5UBBfbNnQlRyX_7lXqBTvaxk61jaPSwNG4mbYesxQ3z_03O8k2imGgFFGdYiDFQwHjF4W0HHIGN9ETVQBT0viw2YE7R7zkWZYFGKU3xGqKRjzB1IXSJPdDZ4JbejJxmhIEK_c_4Ge9DZvrOgsst6-WDu9kqkjjhd9dEokxPCySm3RBR6MX8C_qJrSselnjiOAKjhe_hA

Blimey John, they do look similar don't they! With the support almost in the same position. I'll get a photo and post it so you can see the length of my bridge.

• Awards
Here's a photo with a pair of EWI coaches just to give an idea of length of the bridge.

Online swisstrains

• Awards
Morning Jeremy. Do you intend adding extra side-pieces to your bridge? Thinking ahead you need somewhere to attach handrails and catenary posts. Also, if the bridge appeared to be a bit more "substantial" I don't think you would need another support.
John

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal