!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Konigsbrucke - Swiss N gauge layout 1997 - 2005 (and some present day stock)  (Read 1686 times)

Offline cornish trains jez

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Thanks, mate, you too.  :thumbsup:

Be aware though, you will, as weave suggests, likely to be contacted by a certain moderator regarding that bridge  :D

Don't know what all the fuss is about. The Swiss Express Re 4/4 had no problems dealing with the lack of bridge even with it's rear axle off the road. Superior Swiss engineering. :D

I noticed that too John but only after I had fully edited the video and watched it back, by then I didn't really want to do another section to swap it over. But like you say, superior Swiss engineering!

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Yes, I don't blame you Jeremy. It's a great video.

Cheers John.

Jeremy

Offline Brandon_5

• Awards
Looks like a great layout, I am envious of your rolling stock and locomotive collection!

I see you managed to get your hands on an SBB Flirt? How is it? I almost bought one when I was in Lausanne last year and I deeply regret not getting it! Any videos of it running?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
I see you managed to get your hands on an SBB Flirt? How is it? I almost bought one when I was in Lausanne last year and I deeply regret not getting it! Any videos of it running?

Must admit I do like the two German Flirts I have.  My only concern is the longevity of the motors? They have a powered bogie at each end, and I've already had one motor fail on my second-hand one.  I've read on  German forums that others have had the same problem, and for a little while after they came out it was possible to get free replacements from Bachmann/Liliput.  I had to pay for mine from Austria though (I ordered two just in case) :(

Not wishing to hijack this excellent thread, but you'll catch glimpses of both of mine running on this video (the first layout is mine, and yes the name is written incorrectly and should be Königshafen  :) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k4-TmmEoPo
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Brandon_5

• Awards
Thats a shame to hear about the Liliput model, as they look absolutely fantastic with lots of detail. I rode on a few on my trip to Switzerland so I was keen to get my hands on a model. Ah well, I will keep my eyes peeled. Your layout is fantastic by the way, an absolute inspiration for the rest of us!

• Awards

Must admit I do like the two German Flirts I have.  My only concern is the longevity of the motors? They have a powered bogie at each end, and I've already had one motor fail on my second-hand one.  I've read on  German forums that others have had the same problem, and for a little while after they came out it was possible to get free replacements from Bachmann/Liliput.  I had to pay for mine from Austria though (I ordered two just in case) :(

Not wishing to hijack this excellent thread, but you'll catch glimpses of both of mine running on this video (the first layout is mine, and yes the name is written incorrectly and should be Königshafen  :) )

Evening chaps,

The SBB FLIRT is a lovely model but mine has motor bogie issues too. Sometimes you start it up and it just wheel spins, seemingly one of the motors doesn't seem to start up and then when it does, it needs a little shove to get the thing going. I also have a major wobble on one of the centre coaches. Very disappointing as the model is fantastic apart from that.

Jeremy

• Awards
Thats a shame to hear about the Liliput model, as they look absolutely fantastic with lots of detail. I rode on a few on my trip to Switzerland so I was keen to get my hands on a model. Ah well, I will keep my eyes peeled. Your layout is fantastic by the way, an absolute inspiration for the rest of us!

Thanks for your comments on the layout. I'll post some pictures shortly of a mini running session I had tonight with my two sons before they headed off to bed.

Jeremy

• Awards

Thanks for your comments on the layout. I'll post some pictures shortly of a mini running session I had tonight with my two sons before they headed off to bed.

Jeremy

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
My only concern is the longevity of the [Flirt] motors?
The SBB FLIRT is a lovely model but mine has motor bogie issues too.

With all the discussion and testing of coreless motors on another thread, I've been wondering if they might fit the Flirt if necessary?  If not there's bound to be a can motor out there which will fit. As far as I can recall, I think the Flirt motor was very similar to one I fitted in a friend's 4CEP, which is NOT a coreless motor  I need to have a rummage in my stash of motors and find the other spare, and see if it does marry up with any of the others I have.  I have a habit of picking up new small motors on ebay if I see ones that might be of use.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:29:09 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

• Awards
Evening,

As mentioned above, I had a mini running session this evening with some stock. Here are a few photos.

First up, my 6 year olds (7 tomorrow!) favourite train...the TGV Lyria.

Here is an overall shot with my SNCF FRET BB437000 loco. I ran this earlier today (on the car carriers) and tonight it was parked up on line 4, not wired up yet so just there for show. A great offering from Rocky Rail with superb detailing, although, and I don't know if anyone else has had these issues, it seems a bit gutless. Is it me or does it just need a little more running in???

French trains.....

Tonights line up at a rather busy Erstfeld depot...

My favourite swiss loco/EMU, the RABDe Eurocity "Grey Mouse". Has to be my all time favourite, such a beautiful and classic looking express multiple unit, and nicely turned out by Kato to their really high standards.

Jeremy

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards

Evening chaps,

The SBB FLIRT is a lovely model but mine has motor bogie issues too. Sometimes you start it up and it just wheel spins, seemingly one of the motors doesn't seem to start up and then when it does, it needs a little shove to get the thing going. I also have a major wobble on one of the centre coaches. Very disappointing as the model is fantastic apart from that.

Jeremy

I have an SBB "Zuger" FLIRT and an SBB "Basler" FLIRT.
One of the motors on one of them (can't remember which :-[) occasionally sticks if it hasn't been used for awhile and requires a voltage jolt. Regular outings around the layout appear to be beneficial.
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
@cornish trains jez    Is your Grey Mouse a recent model? Wondering if they've changed/improved the inter-coach coupling design over the old models?

I have original Hobbytrain TEE and Grey Mouse examples, I've pretty much rebuilt both to improve the electrical connection reliability. I'm still toying with the idea of fitting sub-miniature plug and sockets for the wiring.

• Awards
@cornish trains jez    Is your Grey Mouse a recent model? Wondering if they've changed/improved the inter-coach coupling design over the old models?

I have original Hobbytrain TEE and Grey Mouse examples, I've pretty much rebuilt both to improve the electrical connection reliability. I'm still toying with the idea of fitting sub-miniature plug and sockets for the wiring.

Hi,

Its the latest model (probably a few years old now), it couples well with interior lights on the dining tables in the restaurant car. I'd like another one of these but they seem to be difficult to get hold of these days.
By the way, Konigshafen is a cracking layout! I watched the footage in the link you posted this evening.

Jeremy

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Here is an overall shot with my SNCF FRET BB437000 loco. I ran this earlier today (on the car carriers) and tonight it was parked up on line 4, not wired up yet so just there for show. A great offering from Rocky Rail with superb detailing, although, and I don't know if anyone else has had these issues, it seems a bit gutless. Is it me or does it just need a little more running in???

Just done some tests Jeremy.
My 437000 can haul (and restart without slipping) 8 Fleischmann coaches on my 1 in 36 gradients. It shouldn't have any problems on the flat.
John

• Awards

Just done some tests Jeremy.
My 437000 can haul (and restart without slipping) 8 Fleischmann coaches on my 1 in 36 gradients. It shouldn't have any problems on the flat.

Hi John,

Thanks for checking with your loco. Perhaps I just need to run the loco in a bit more without a load. I bought it specifically to haul my rake of minitrix car carriers as I had seen a Flickr photo of one at Pratteln with car carriers from France heading to the freight yard, so thought it would appropriate to have for the layout.

Jeremy

• Awards
Afternoon all,

Just a quick update. I've decided to have a crack at scratchbuilding some new pantographs to try and improve the Hobbytrain ones on my Re 6/6. I'll post a few more photos later of how I got to this point.

Still a bit to do and I'm trying to use some of the Hobbytrain pantograph parts. This end will be in the down position and the other in a fixed height raised position. I think it already looks better but comments welcome on this.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal