!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Flattening air clay..  (Read 320 times)

Offline AlanK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Flattening air clay..
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or tricks when working with air clay, am creating a hard standing in a sidings, level with chairs on the rails.. mainly last time I tried this I struggled to create a flat surface.. appreciate I could probably make my life easier by using card, but air clay seems an interesting medium to work with!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:51:10 PM by AlanK »
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Flattening air clay..
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 06:08:15 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or tricks when working with air clay, am creating a hard standing in a sidings, level with chairs on the rails.. mainly last time I tried this I struggled to create a flat surface.. appreciate I could probably make my life easier by using hard, but air clay seems an interesting medium to work with!

Just today, I've been using DAS clay to make walls for a half-timbered cottage. The clay goes on the cardboard skeleton in between the coffee stirrer timber frames. What seems to have worked well is some pound store superglue on the card, and then the clay stuck onto it and rolled flat. After a couple hours its dry enough to gentle file or sand smooth.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »
It's like working with dough. It tends to be sticky when scraped, so I find some sort of roller (even a foam roller like you get in kids paint sets) is useful.
Also, if you keep the surface moist while you're working it, you can just use fingers to shape it without it breaking up.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »
Hi Alan,

I watch a lot of war-gaming tutorials for help with scenic work, as although they work to a different scale, the principals still remain the same, and the basic materials are the same.

Here is a video showing how to do loads of things, and solve loads of problems with DAS.

It covers how to stop it cracking, how to make it stick to stuff like MDF and Plasticard, and how to add textures to it etc etc etc .

Hope this helps, here is the link .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9Zwav1Xjs

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 06:29:04 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or tricks when working with air clay, am creating a hard standing in a sidings, level with chairs on the rails.. mainly last time I tried this I struggled to create a flat surface.. appreciate I could probably make my life easier by using hard, but air clay seems an interesting medium to work with!

I've been working on Broughton again this week and I wanted to get the goods yard and ballast level, also up to the chairs, along with various areas in the station that also need to be similar in order to replicate the original.

I've had pretty good results glueing 1.6mm card to the baseboard running up to " or so from the sleeper ends and with bevelled edges. I then gave just the card a scatter coating of my ballast material (chinchilla bathing dust) on diluted PVA. Once it was dry, I then ballasted as usual, blending the dry ballast into the edges of the card.

Whilst it's not 100% perfect, I'm pleased with the result so far. The join can be seen, primarily because the flat areas are the dust sprinkled on top of PVA, and with white card underneath, whilst the ballasted parts are dry dust liberally soaked with dilute PVA. Of course, part of the reason I can see the joins is because I know they are there.

However, when it's all been painted it should do the job. I'll be posting pics on the Coniston Railway thread when it's ready enough to be photographed.

Offline Jack

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »

Here is a video showing how to do loads of things, and solve loads of problems with DAS.

It covers how to stop it cracking, how to make it stick to stuff like MDF and Plasticard, and how to add textures to it etc etc etc .

Hope this helps, here is the link .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9Zwav1Xjs

I'm about to use DAS for a TMD hard standing and was looking for tips on DAS, quick look through search and came across this post with the youtube link - not railway related but brilliant for how to use DAS air dry clay. Answered all my questions and put my worries to rest.

Thanks for posting Kevin @Phoenix   :thumbsup:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Online gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »
@Phoenix  another thanks for the link.

about to use some DAS clay for the first time to create some stone walls. Useful info in the video link before I make my first attempt. :)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »
Try   [https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/clay/das-1kg-white-modelling-clay/8000144074105]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:00:51 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »
Try   [https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/clay/das-1kg-white-modelling-clay/8000144074105]

Dam that is a lot cheaper then what I just paid! Think I paid 7 including the P+P for 250g. Plus 250g isn't as much as I thought once I physically had it in front of me  ;D good job we model N gauge haha.

Will bear that in mind for future purchases if I need more.

Offline Jack

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 02:15:16 PM »
Try   https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/clay/das-1kg-white-modelling-clay/8000144074105

Yep and much better priced than eBay! Ordered 2 from here just after I posted. The Works delivered two days later via Hermes. Good service me thinks ;D

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
My local independent hardware store had some at the prices and did the guy in the video mention the works I seem to recall ? Just a thought

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or tricks when working with air clay, am creating a hard standing in a sidings, level with chairs on the rails.. mainly last time I tried this I struggled to create a flat surface.. appreciate I could probably make my life easier by using card, but air clay seems an interesting medium to work with!

Not sure if what I use is the same but I use Chavant clay to model masters, if I need to create a flat surface I knead the clay as flat as I can roughly get it, then cover it with cling film then either roll it or flatten it by placing a hard flat surface such as a piece of MDF then applying pressure to flatten it down.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal