!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Roberts Park  (Read 477 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Roberts Park
« on: April 05, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »
Roberts Park is the extension module to Charlotte Street.  The basic concept is that the line will run through a shallow cutting on the edge of a park.  At the rear will be some Georgian style town houses which will be named Roberts Park.  Whilst there is a single operating line the model (and Charlotte Street) represent a line that was originally double track and has been singled as a result of low use.  The other line will be in place but a dummy line covered in some grass/weeds etc.

The layout is in a single box file but unlike Charlotte Street the from has not been removed or unlike Branchline to Elizabeth Wharf it has not been hinged.  This is to allow the building up of the cutting and the start of the park to be achieved.  As with Charlotte Street, the lids will not close and the back scene for reasons of building scenery will be fixed vertically.  I'm currently hoping that in the current crisis I have sufficient mounting board to achieve what I want.

The base is stiffened by a strip of timber running underneath on which the running track will be laid.  Two small feet will be attached at the rear to maintain level.  As I was unable to source another piece of timber when the crisis began, I have used one of the proposed cassettes for Charlotte Street for this and will replace it when I can return to B&Q.  The main issue was cutting the holes in the end pieces as normally I de-construct the boxes but as I was keeping not only the ends in situ but also the front I decided to maintain the integrity of the structure.

A layer of mounting board has been laid on the base to ensure that it all matches up with Charlotte Street and I will lay a trackbed of foam board but won't cover the whole base area as most of the scenery will be above track level.

Photos to follow - they're on a Facebook post and FB appears to be down at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 05:25:48 PM by Jeremy Edwards »

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Roberts Park
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:10:53 PM »

Just to give the basic idea of the layout of the box.  The 'dummy' disused track will be nearer the back scene (lid).

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 07:22:11 PM »

Latest progress.  I was unhappy with the initial set up of the back scene boards, they arrangement was fine for Charlotte Street which occupies 3 boxes but was very restrictive on Roberts Park's single box.  For that reason, I have trimmed the sides back at an angle with sufficient height at the front going to full height at the rear.  Eventually the back scene will be covered in Peco 'sky' paper as per Charlotte Street.  A quick coat of blue emulsion has been applied for effect.

The base of the box was covered in a layer of mounting board to match the other layout and then just a track base width fo for board.  The through running track is code 80 Peco as it matches the other layouts but the dumb 'abandoned' track is a piece of code 55 that I had left over from 'Branchline to Elizabeth Wharf'.  The track has been weathered with Humbrol acrylic 29 (aerosol) and will be ballasted in due course with my favourite chinchilla sand.

Behind the track I have constructed the platform for the house fronts and roadway.  This will have a bank down to the track and then a similar bank will rise in front to achieve the shallow cutting.  Neither of these will be permanently fixed until the sky paper has been applied.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:49:21 AM »

To show the concept in action a mock up trial run with Charlotte Street and the longest possible cassette.  The whole thing is about 8 feet long so I need a longer table.  Without Roberts Park the combo comes in at about 6 feet long.

The track is fully weathered and ballasted and the next step will be to connect it to the angle locating pieces.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:50:59 AM by Jeremy Edwards »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
That pic puts it in perspective. :thankyousign:
(from another number 44 dweller)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »
I thought it would help to show the whole thing.  I'd been chatting on the phone to an old friend and trying to explain how it all went together without too much success so i took a couple of photos.  I need to be able to set it up to check the electrical continuity when I've soldered a few wires on.

I've also found a suitable folding picnic/camping table online for about 40 so I may look at getting that as a base.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »

I've got to the stage with Roberts Park that I need to sort out the back scene.  I'm awaiting a Peco 'Sky' sheet as the paper corners on the back scene aren't good.  I have some sky paper but it's the tail end of a sheet used on Charlotte Street.

I've built a platform for the buildings and road from mounting board and that sits in the box.  I then needed a plan.  I happen to have an old book called "Buildings for Model Railways" by murine H Bradley from 1983.  It comprises several projects that the author built in plastic sheet complete with drawings.  There is a plan for a pair of Georgian town houses 3 storeys high but fronting straight onto the pavement.  The plan wasn't exactly 2mm to the foot but experimentation with the scanner/copier produced a scaled up version of an appropriate size.

I drew up a plan of the front to fit the space I had on a sheet of A3 using my drawing board and transferred the basic plan to mounting board to construct a carcass.  In between each use there is a fire wall that protruded through the roof and the front wall will be slightly higher than the carcass.  I have slotted the roof at appropriate places for the fire walls and this morning the carcass was complete, tested in the box and Scalescenes 'slate' paper used to finish the roof.

The front wall is made from thin card and I have spent this morning transferring the door and window openings with a pin and then curling them out.  The original plan was for a stucco finish, painted onto a layer of paper that folded into the door and window openings but I envisaged issues with bubbling of the paper if I painted it so I am using Scalescenes 'Old Red Brick' paper.  I have some Scalescenes doors to use and will pack the wall with thin black card so that i can draw window frames with a white pen.  this should then be fixed onto the carcass.

I am still considering how to embellish the window openings and will need drainpipes etc.  I have ducked out of constructing chimneys but may well produce something flat to go on the back scene.

More to follow when i make more progress.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »
The track has been weathered with Humbrol acrylic 29 (aerosol) and will be ballasted in due course with my favourite chinchilla sand.

Aha, a chinchilla sand user. I wanted something finer for Broughton than the GM115 granite I used on my first three layouts and had seen that mentioned at various times but hadn't actually seen it used, or at least identified as such.
So I bit the bullet, bought some and tried it on a test section of track. I was very pleased with the texture, although not the colour which was too pale for what I wanted - a 2:1 grey/brown emulsion mix well thinned down soon sorted that so Broughton now has to watch out for little furry creatures taking an interest  :D

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »
I used Hattons track grime wash on Charlotte Street.  I may do the same with this module.  The non-running track will need some sort of work to make it look abandoned or unused.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »

Latest progress.  I decided to remove the front of the box; the whole thing was sufficiently sturdy and this would allow the scenery for the front of the layout to be more easily visible.  The landform is mounting board which has had an initial coat of emulsion paint to seal the card and provide some base colour.  The houses have been completed apart from weathering and perhaps a little detailing and have been fixed down.  The pavements are made from thin card which was printed with Scalescenes Pavement rather than printing onto paper and sticking it to the card.  The roadway is being developed with various colours dry brushed onto the base coat.

I have made up a front piece to cover the bare card and tidy the edges up from mounting board covered in brick paper.  I used a similar method on the front of Charlotte Street.

My next step is to make up the cutting sides from board and newspaper.  If I can purchase suitable filler I will use that as a top coat before painting and grassing.  The fencing that i wish to use is currently out of stock everywhere I've looked online and my supplier is waiting for Peco to restart operations.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:08:04 PM by Jeremy Edwards »

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »

Slight change of plan with the cutting sides.  Having laid a strip of mounting board to make the base of the cutting side I had neither newspaper nor filler so I improvised.  A post on the N Gauge Forum Facebook page suggested toilet roll and pva as a potential filler.  Vince Painter from West Midlands N Gauge Club reported in our latest interim newsletter that he had used 50:50 pa:water with toilet roll as a filler on his Bescut and Walshed layout so I had a go.  At the time of writing the mix hadn't fully set.  The surface initially was a little lumpy but looked promising.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 08:33:54 PM »

I've put a couple of layers of Woodlands Scenics scatter material over the ground area.  This is over a coat of brown emulsion paint. The lighter area is the parkland and the dark are on the cutting side is meant to represent a burned area where a spark from a passing steam loco has caused a small embankment fire.  To achieve this I used some matt black acrylic watered down on top of layer 1 and then some yellow grass around it. 

I propose to use some static grass on top of this basis, in part at least, to vary the colours and texture.  Progress is stymied by a lack of suitable fencing as none is available online at present.  I have some street lamps, benches and a woman pushing a pram on order, however, from PD Marsh.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »
Looking realistic Jeremy.  I like where the loco has dropped its burnt ash, or a small ignited coal causing the grass to burn

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Thanks for that; I hope to embellish that a bit more with static grass as well as improving the rest of the ground over.  I'm looking at introducing a few 'weeds' to the dis-used track too - in those days I believe the permanent way crew kept the weeds down.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »
Northwestern models may have items that interest but whether one has in stock is a different matter. Kevin is very helpful. Also scale model scenery are pretty good as are kernow for scenic items

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal