!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Converting a Farish Poole 158 to fit a MK1 coach body.  (Read 179 times)

Online greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
Converting a Farish Poole 158 to fit a MK1 coach body.
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »
Tutorial on how to modify a Graham Farish Poole class 158 to fit within a MK1 coach body.
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Converting a Farish Poole 158 to fit a MK1 coach body.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »
Many thanks for this. I have the newer version of the chassis without the spring drive, but this has some useful tips in it.
Bob

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »
I have followed this and I now have a nice short, working 158 chassis.

Upon testing it I have noticed a minor issue in the there is lateral movement of the motor. This in turn means that the spring protrudes at one end or the other depending on the direction of travel. If I ignore it I'm worried the spring will, over time, drill a slot in the end of the coach body.

So, is there meant to be lateral movement of the motor? If so, are my springs still too long?

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »
 :dunce:
OK. Having stared at it for ages, walked away, had lunch and a large pot of black coffee, I've realised my mistakes and slapped myself around the face.

The spring drives were slightly too long but I also hadn't realised that they kept the motor in place. The springs only needed a sliver taken off and then wound well onto the drive shafts almost (but not quite) up to the bushes.

It's now all back together and working well.

The next phase it to convert it to DCC and I think I have a plan but just now I'm going to lay down in a darkened room  8)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal