!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Guttering advice please?  (Read 412 times)

Offline Corbie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12314
  • 2mm Association Number: 5516
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Guttering advice please?
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »
Hoping you can give a newbie scratch-builder some advice.
I'm now onto the detailing part of my first scratch-built building, Glen Sharnie Distillery, and I'm installing the guttering. I have some brass half-rounds for the guttering and some Evergreen styrene rods for downpipes. I'm looking for ideas on how to fix these in a realistic manner. What have you used for brackets holding the guttering on? And how do you make the bends in the downpipes?
Pre-grouping steam / LNER / early BR.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: Guttering advice please?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Hello corbie, you've stumbled upon your first problem.

Although very good for straightness and strength brass half round for guttering is a bit of a problem as you cant fix it.

Ideally youd want plastruct P section for the gutters, this gives you a nice flat edge to fix to the underside of your roof and gets  the gutter nice and tight to it, plus the plastic will allow a bit of slack in the straightness of your roof as it will easily flex to it.

Brass 0.4mm rod works out to be the closest to a 3" pipe however 0.8mm might give you something easier to work with. Swanneck bends to allow the downpipe to meet the gutter are commonly 112° bends, a bit shallower then a 45° however 90° are common. The downpipe in brass can be bent to shape and then spot glued straight to the building.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
As said, brass can be bent to shape as required. I bent mine with the help of two pairs if pliers. When I needed to put a bend in some Plastruct tubing, I held it in two pairs of pliers and got my wife to slowly pour hot water over the place where I wanted the bend and gently bent it to shape using the pliers - I had to use the pliers to keep my fingers away from the hot water!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:10:27 PM »
That's a good tip re the hot water. I'll try it. As usual, I seem to have done things the wrong way round- brass gutters and plastic pipes when it should be plastic gutters are brass pipes! I live and learn.
 :doh:

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »
Hi Corbie,

Nothing really to add here.

Adding details to basic kits such as Kestral and Metcalf really makes a difference, so just a thumbs up to David (Dannyboy)  :D :thumbsup: :D

If you look at his photos, he has done a fantastic job detailing Metcalf kits (check out what he has done to the semi- detached houses)

Just shows what a great difference a little extra effort can make :D

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »
As @exmouthcraig says, a P section plastic moulding is probably easier to work with.  Most of the commercial kit buildings I put together use P mouldings, and thus can be glued easily to the underside of the roof tile edge.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
Ratio do guttering and downpipes in black plastic, kit 300. Dornasplas do them in white, DPA6.
Have used the Ratio product very successfully in conjunction with black painted Evergreen styrene rod - buildings I am detailing are four stories or more.
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
Ratio do guttering and downpipes in black plastic, kit 300. Dornasplas do them in white, DPA6.
Have used the Ratio product very successfully in conjunction with black painted Evergreen styrene rod - buildings I am detailing are four stories or more.

Thanks @greenlaneman. I ended up making my own from brass wire; I'm reasonably happy with the result, which I've posted on the Pitlurg / Glen Sharnie page under the layouts section. I've still to sort out how to put brackets on. I think Ratio closed their doors for a while, though I gather they have now started a limited supply- couldn't get any Ratio stuff. Someone said they thought it was a little bit over scale, or was that a different one?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 06:47:35 AM »
RogerDB of this parish, and Wrenton parish, makes his gutters using plasticard sheet cut to fit around the walls and roof edge, thinned at the ends and other places where it can be seen and filed back on the underside.
His downpipes are bent wire, painted and glued on and he says that he doesn't attempt to make the brackets - I'm with him on that part, at a normal viewing distance is the absence of brackets really going to be noticed?

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38690.msg463322#msg463322

I don't think that anyone could criticise what he makes - except, undoubtedly, himself at times.

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »
RogerDB of this parish, and Wrenton parish, makes his gutters using plasticard sheet cut to fit around the walls and roof edge, thinned at the ends and other places where it can be seen and filed back on the underside.
His downpipes are bent wire, painted and glued on and he says that he doesn't attempt to make the brackets - I'm with him on that part, at a normal viewing distance is the absence of brackets really going to be noticed?

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38690.msg463322#msg463322

I don't think that anyone could criticise what he makes - except, undoubtedly, himself at times.
Agreed, RogerDB is a master! The Wrenton posts are what inspired my to have a go at scratch building. Latest effort here:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47694.msg633916#msg633916

Online maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 12:11:44 PM »
Not much to add, but on brackets and fixing I've used twists of fine wire, secured with superglue, to fix wire (paperclip) downpipes which have spouts rather than disappearing into the ground. The ends of the twists are fitted into holes drilled in the wall. Eg

Mike

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:39:59 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »
A neat way of doing it.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline honestjudge

• N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 10:20:27 PM »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP