!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cost effective dcc point motors  (Read 208 times)

Offline Henners84

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Cost effective dcc point motors
« on: March 31, 2020, 07:57:24 PM »
Hi all,
What would you suggest? Maybe 20 or so points to power. What is a cost effective but reliable way to power. Thinking gaugemaster pm1 plus decoder, or gaugemaster pm10d. I have electro frog points which I'd like to keep live and a digikeijs dr5000 unit.
Thanks
Henry

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Cost effective dcc point motors
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
The first question to ask is do you want solenoid motors or slow motion ones?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Henners84

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »
I don't actually mind. I know a lot prefer the slow motion but does not bother me too much

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 08:47:07 PM »
Id say the first question is do you really want DCC points? Lots of people prefer a physical control panel.

Offline Henners84

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 08:48:33 PM »
The plan is to run from my mobile, so would prefer dcc

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:47:06 AM »
So, cost-effective is very subjective, but if you want DCC point motors, out-of-the-box, then you can't do any better than DCC Concepts and their Cobalt IP motors.

The motors have a frog juicer built-in, progamming is a snap, there are outputs for mimic boards, they give you slow-motion changes if you remove the springs from your turnouts.

I can't really fault these guys. I'm not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer. I've had slightly more than 36 (OK, 37!) of their motors.

Again, cost-effective is subjective, but I'm not sure I could put this package together for less than DCC Concepts charge me, and I know it's going to work out of the box

Offline Corbie

• N Gauge Society Number: 12314
  • 2mm Association Number: 5516
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »
So, cost-effective is very subjective, but if you want DCC point motors, out-of-the-box, then you can't do any better than DCC Concepts and their Cobalt IP motors.

The motors have a frog juicer built-in, progamming is a snap, there are outputs for mimic boards, they give you slow-motion changes if you remove the springs from your turnouts.

I can't really fault these guys. I'm not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer. I've had slightly more than 36 (OK, 37!) of their motors.

Again, cost-effective is subjective, but I'm not sure I could put this package together for less than DCC Concepts charge me, and I know it's going to work out of the box

I thoroughly agree. I've got 18 of these motors and the service they provide over the phone is really first class. Very friendly and helpful.
Pre-grouping steam / LNER / early BR.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal