!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 4*2 Point to Point begun  (Read 459 times)

Offline Platy767

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
4*2 Point to Point begun
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:09:53 AM »
Having ripped up the points and track from the layout board and had a think about what might be next, I've made a start on another small layout that can be operated as a double sided point to point or an individual point to fiddle yard using the other terminus as a fiddle yard. Track plans for each of the termini are based on Ashburton and the other is based on a track plan originally designed for an Ikea Billy bookcase shelf as part of a thread on another well known forum. The internal loop between the 2 termini is to represent a link to the umber mines for the the "brown" terminus, and a line to either a dock, engineering works or mine for the other, "grey" terminus. I will split the layout centrally so each station will have its own backscene. One will be a country scene, the other more a built up, grimy outer city look. This layout is strictly for pleasure and self imagination!

I've actually already done more scenery than ever before, because I have painted the cork before track laying!

Mark

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: 4*2 Point to Point begun
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20:54 AM »
Just goes to show you always have room for a model railway!

Looking forward to this one!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:44:48 AM »
Neat idea :thumbsup:

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »
The solitary platelayer was out this morning and managed to spike the "Grey Terminus" track work into place while continually whinging about bad eyesight and not being able to see what he was doing!

Mark

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:10:34 AM »
Well bad eyesight or not, the solitary platelayer has done a bloody good job!  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
Don't forget to fill the gaps with spare sleepers before ballasting! (an easy mistake to make)

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:21:29 AM »
Don't forget to fill the gaps with spare sleepers before ballasting! (an easy mistake to make)

Yes, thank you, I promise that if EVER I get around to ballasting (not my favourite activity), I will fit the missing sleepers.

Mark

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 02:38:50 AM »
The platelayer was in the groove today and got the brown terminus, main line and loop line down. Apparently he was surprised the "company" has splashed out for a new track panel for one of the sidings. All the rest is re-used. Will start some wiring (DC) later in the week and that might be when we see some trouble with the re-used points and track.

Mark

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 03:07:14 AM »
Just from looking at your work so far, I can't see you having much trouble, Mark.  :thumbsup:

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 06:37:14 AM »

Additional sleepers added. (Note to self: In future I should fit these as part of the track laying. It's a cow of a job to do later, particularly with sore fishplate fingers!)

The Easter Bilby delivered on Saturday this year.

No excuses for not ballasting this one now.

Mark

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 06:44:26 AM »
I use Noch Profi grey granite and I highly reommend it, especially in conjunction with Ballast Magic.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 06:52:08 AM »
I use Noch Profi grey granite and I highly reommend it, especially in conjunction with Ballast Magic.

I've read some mixed reviews regarding Ballast Magic. I'm not decided how I will proceed, but thank you for the recommendation.

Mark

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 07:25:48 AM »
Yes, I've heard mixed reviews about Ballast Magic.

But there again, I'm old school - watered down PVA and washing-up liquid.  :-\

Mind you, it wouldn't matter what stuff it was, I hate ballasting!!!  :beers:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 07:54:27 AM »
I came back to the hobby after an absence of 30 years and I had never heard of Ballast Magic.  But I decided that it looked like a good idea and adopted the following procedure:

1. Add 5 heaped teaspoons of Ballast to a dry clean mixing jar;
2. Add a rounded (but not heaped) teaspoon of Ballast Magic;
3. Mix thoroughly together until the colour is uniform throughout (a bit like mixing cement);
4. Using the teaspoon, tip the mixture between the rails, between the tracks and along the shoulders;
5. Using an artists paint brush, sweep all the stray ballast into the shoulders;
6. This is most important - Using your finger tip, press the mixture firmly down to make it as solid as possible;
7. Using the Ballast Magic spray bottle (which seems to work better than other sprays) spray the ballast with a fine mist.  Don't point the spray directly at the ballast, but spray almost horizontally so that you wet the ballast at some distance from the nozzle;
8. You will notice the ballast becomes much darker as it becomes wet, a sign that the Ballast Magic has disolved;
9. Leave for 24 hours and it should have set as solid as a rock;
10. One disadvantage is that it takes quite a bit of chiseling to get it up again if you need to lift the track.

Although I was vary wary of ballasting, having heard of others' dislikes, I found that I quite enjoyed it and it didn't take too long to ballast the whole layout.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:55:28 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 04:56:27 AM »
Another update...

I've ordered some Ballast Magic and Ballast Bond. Model stores in Oz, at least on the East Coast, seem to be rather busy with their mail order business, with consequently, unusual delays in getting product shipped and delivered. At least they are still open and operating.

I've connected the dropper wires and completed the wiring. I usually use a high quality tinned copper wire for droppers, but I have run out of material. I had a quick look at what it cost for a small reel and quickly decided to improvise. So, a short piece of multicore mains cable has provided more than enough suitable bare copper wire for the droppers.

Although this is a very small layout, it is double sided and I wanted to be able to operate it from either the town or the country terminus. I considered a parallel set of section switches, on each side of the layout. I didn't have enough switches for a set on either side, so I went with a single control box on an umbilical, that I can access from either side of the layout.

A quick continuity check that the section switches were operating and it was time to apply some power. A run over all the tracks identified 1 atrocious rail joint, 2 point blade issues and a siding that I hadn't punched the track pins low enough. I fixed each of these and had some fun playing trains, although it was only light engine!

I was thinking about external switching for the point contact, mainly because these points are very old. All except 2 worked ok, relying on blade contact, and the other 2 only required minor attention, so I will see how it goes before I add any crossing polarity switching.

This is about as far as I usually get, before I decide to just play trains. My intention, this time is to put in a double sided backscene through the middle of the board, ballast the track and put in some buildings...but that is another set of posts.

Mark

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal