!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Metal farish 08 body  (Read 236 times)

Offline synojack

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Metal farish 08 body
« on: March 26, 2020, 11:49:20 AM »
Hi all,

I have a die cast farish 08 from a fair few years ago (maybe 15-20 at a guess) but after having been stored in a box in the garage for ages the motor is totally knackered and rusting. My question is will the new farish 08 chassis fit this? From looking at them they now seem to be plastic so i'm unsure and I imagine the motors are superior now. I'd go ahead and just buy a new one but I really like the look of this one, it's in BR green with full wasp stripes at both ends and is lightly weathered.

Thanks in advance, Jack.

Offline greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
Re: Metal farish 08 body
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:13:08 PM »
No, the new 08 chassis will not fit the old 08 body at all.
You can rebuild (or have rebuilt) the old 08, there are suppliers of suitable spares such as BRlines https://www.farishnspares.co.uk/ (No connection apart from being a satisfied customer).
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline synojack

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »
Ah ok, thought that may be the case. Can't see a replacement chassis there. May well just pick up and older 08 off ebay and switch the bodies around.

Cheers, Jack.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »
Probably cheaper to pick up a second hand new one, and it would then even resemble an 08.

The chassis for the old one is actually shared with some other locos if I remember rightly including the J94, and is of course a total work of fiction.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
@synojack Jack we had the same loco way back in 2008, we still have it, boxed up and although you think it's a good 08 (we did) I have just bought the latest 08 from GF.

:jawdropping:

Treat yourself to the new one, honestly you will be blown away by the detail on it, how good it actually is is truly magnificent. And the slow running ability of it you'll not be disappointed!!!! I promise you.

Offline synojack

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
So it seems the advice is generally to pick up a new one. I'll have to keep an eye out as i'm in need of a shunter but now unsure of whether to go for the 08, the 03 or wait for the release of the 14...

Cheers, Jack.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
I'd go for the 08, being a bit larger/heavier it's more reliable than the 04.

..wait for the release of the 14...

In a particular livery? The model is already out there isn't it?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »
In the slow running stakes my 03 is far better than the new 08 despite tweaking the 08. Though the 08 will outhaul the 03 of course. You pays your money ……

Norman

Offline synojack

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
I'd go for the 08, being a bit larger/heavier it's more reliable than the 04.

..wait for the release of the 14...

In a particular livery? The model is already out there isn't it?

Oh, I'm not sure, whenever i've looked at online stores for them it seems to be preorder so I assumed they weren't out? Unless this is a new release?

In the slow running stakes my 03 is far better than the new 08 despite tweaking the 08. Though the 08 will outhaul the 03 of course. You pays your money ……

Norman

Hmmm, food for thought then, I'd prioritise the slow running I think, don't particularly intend on hauling any incredibly long trains.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »
The [class 14] model is already out there isn't it?

Oh, I'm not sure, whenever i've looked at online stores for them it seems to be preorder so I assumed they weren't out? Unless this is a new release?

I model German N so I don't follow closely, but the 14 has been out for a few years I thought? There are usually some on ebay, though for a while the price was getting silly so maybe they are a bit scarce?

For example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-27-N-GAUGE-FARISH-372-950-CLASS-14-D9555-BR-GREEN-WITH-WASP-STRIPES-50/202945272812
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:02:38 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »
I think Farish have announce a new run of 14s for delivery this year. Who knows if it will now happen.

Norman

Offline synojack

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 07:15:00 PM »
Oh ok, i noticed hattons had one second hand but everywhere else seems to be preorders. I assumed the hattons one was a really old version but perhaps not.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »
I'd be interested to know the condition of the original loco you asked about.

While the new model is a step up, it's worth not writing off the old one - it may be easily repairable, and selling it could then partly offset the cost of a new model. If nothing else, the spares and body could be useful (I've several chassis in need of a body for instance).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal