!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tube and wire - any advice  (Read 796 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Tube and wire - any advice
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
I think I have it - its a diamond crossing with a slip on one side?
So A to Y & B to Z are the crossing points and then B to Y is my slip  :claphappy:

That's it.

If, however, you do need A-Z as well for a passing loop, then you need a double slip, not a single one.

Offline IanF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28927
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »
Simple and effective method of operating points over shorter distances, and as Mike says a slide switch can act as point lever and frog polarity changeover.  Make sure you create an omega loop in the wire to take up the additional throw of the switch compared to the tiebar.

You only need an SPDT switch (3 contacts), but DPDTs are probably similar price so use whichever you can get hold of. Plus a DPDT would give you an additional set of contacts if you wanted an LED in the control panel or to synchronise the point with a colour light signal.

So - this is the configuration for DPDT - unsure where the other 2 wires go (if any required as I have separate feed to track)?

Help - I don't know what I'm doing

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
The other two wires on the DPDT switch go to power feeds which relate to the rails the frog should connect to.

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical_Page_3.html

Remember that this is a logical connection, by which I mean you don't have to physically run a pair of wires from the switch out to the point; if you have power feeds wires for that track section already coming from the controller then splice into those feeds.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Gotcha - thanks.  :beers:
Got the tube and wire now so I can 'dig' out the groove on my test piece (4mm ply) and give it go!
Remove the SEEP motor, use the Frog wire already used for the motor and tap into the rail feeds - simples  ;D

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »
So here is my TEST BED with the tube and wire inserted (not connected to power yet). I found a good way of attaching the wire to the switch (see image).
By trying this out on the TEST BED first I get to iron out any of the problems I might face. On final layout I want to get the wire from the switches in line with the cutout for the tube so I will mount the switches slightly lower on an attached control board.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
@IanF   yep, that's the best way: experiment and find what works for you.   Wire-in-tube is a perfectly usable method, just not one I use any more as I have a central control panel with section and point push buttons etc.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal