!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The 'what have I got in storage' railway, or keeping sane for a couple of months  (Read 545 times)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Having finally gotten the bathroom finished (only about 2 weeks behind due to woodworm, lead piping, bizarre historic plumbing, and a long a complicated saga involved a proper old cast bath) I finally after 3 years have my spaces available and not filled with toilets, piping, floorboards and ladders and god knows what else from building work.

This means I've not got space to set up a 6x4 board rescued from a childrens 'want a trainset, don't want a trainset any more' cycle, plus a load of old track, buildings and the like scavenged from old layouts and packed (not entirely in an organized fashion) two moves ago. It does have to do dual duty as a trainset for visiting kids so it's constrained somewhat to be a roundy-roundy layout.

Progress so far on sketching out the design looks like this. Some of the geometry is a little odd to use the track pieces I have and I've had to order a few more curves.

The basic idea is that in train set mode its just a bunch of loops with trains and yes you can switch stuff in and out a bit. The right hand end will have some minimal platform ends and then I'll put something over the top so it's a big covered station hiding all the curves and allowing for more scenic space - maybe even stick a tram on it.

In model railway mode the inner 2/4 track loop will carry local services, along with storage for a bit of variety. There's enough space to shuffle DMUs between tracks without them popping out of the tunnel if I have measured right - will check and adjust when I fish some actual trains out of storage. The branching off inner line will provide a staging space for some minimal freight activity. It's using 8" curves so careful use of stock will be required but at least for BR era running things like a class 24 and a bunch of vans will work fine on the hidden sharp curve.

The outer loop is set up to model a terminus, so stuff arrives from the fiddle yard and can hit either platform via the crossover. It sits in the station mostly in the fiddle yard then leaves and goes back round ending up mostly in the fiddle yard again. There are a couple of sidings off it leaving space for a bit of variety and actually I could probably stick more in back left for shorter stuff if  needed.

I'm still trying to decide if I should add a short stabling siding where the screwdriver is so that for loco hauled era I can stable stuff and avoid too many light engine moves. Another possibility would be to put a stabling siding on the outside which might look less cramped and mean I can stick a signal box where the screwdriver points.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hope fully that will keep the family entertained and provide creative stimulus and an education for the children, maths, English, railway history, art, technology, maths, science etc

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
I suspect that a couple of months will be a severe underestimate.  The real acid test will be, is there any light at the end of the tunnel, or is it all just a dead end.  We model railway enthusiasts can at least make do and mend.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Not a lot of progress today. Some slight adjustment of track lengths to get the spacings right for platform ends on the curve, and added a loco bay on the outside.

Train size testing looks promising and some tweaking of tunnel positions shows it'll be enough room for a pair of class 150s, or just about a pair of 158s. Four coaches and loco are not going to hide nicely on the inside loops but that is kind of OK. It's mostly arriva trained snails stock so it seems reasonable to work with the inside lines as valleys and outside as mainline. That means the interesting stuff from a few years ago can stick to the main line (pairs of 37s or 50s top and tailing).

On the outside HST is a tight fit and will have to see how that works out. Might need some cunning timetabling.

Electricals went slightly less well. I got the main tracks wired up - which is nice and easy with Kato track, especially as the points can be set non-power-routing for DCC then I plugged my old Digitrax Zephyr into the power supply and... it made a very good smoke generator.

Dismantling it there are a couple of components now mostly ash and a huge burn on the PCB so not I suspect repairable.

Grump

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
I plugged my old Digitrax Zephyr into the power supply and... it made a very good smoke generator.

Dismantling it there are a couple of components now mostly ash and a huge burn on the PCB so not I suspect repairable.
The question is: will you be able to get a replacement, or has somebody been filling their extra freezers up with them?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
All you need for DCC nowdays is an Arduino and a motor shield thankfully.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
More progress today. Still waiting the rest of the track.

The main part of the town scene has had the space below it filled in with scrap and I've turned the old panels from the back of a long dead bookcase into a low back panel (to avoid accidents) and sides as well as part of the station cover. I think I have enough to do the rest of the station cover.

The other changes are small, the goods line will be a bridge then tunnel to get the feel more accurate. It won't be that giant white metal and wood railway bridge (which I suspect is actually very old from the way it is made) but some kind of more appropriate road bridge with support below the deck so it hides more.

The station needs some thought.  I want it low to the tracks so that you can't peer under too easily, but a low clearance like that would not really have room for the arches needed to carry a big building. Needs more research and seeing what I can get away with.

(Forgive the lousy phone photos - but it's not as if there is any detail to admire)

Offline weave

• Awards
Hi,

Looks great and with loads of operating interest.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
Seconded. I love the townscape

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
     I`ll third that, taking shape nicely
          regards Derek.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Some progress today in amongst everything else but not all good -  my backscene board is on hold as it's been requisitioned by the management in case the intended edging boards for the new vegetable bed don't turn up  :(

A lot of the spaghetti is now installed, and I'm slowly working around the pointwork fitting the wires and setting the little screws on the bottom to non power routing for DCC. I have the inner loop running and I've been testing some stock. So far I have the pair of Arriva 150's running one of which needed minor poking, the pacer is running and after a bit of work the first 37 and a 66 at least grumbling along although they need a bit more cleaning and maybe a tiny spot of oil when I can find my bottle of Daywat.

The older Farish stuff has predictably not done so well in storage and both the 158 and the kit built 121 (on a modified GWR railcar chassis) have split gears in storage. That may need a bit of scavenging and swapping around with other stuff for now to get it back running again.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal