!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons shop temporarily closed  (Read 1299 times)

Offline stevewalker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hattons shop temporarily closed
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
Lots of decisions have knock-on effects. I used to drop in to Hattons frequently, as it's only half an hour from work. However, they closed the shop for "refurbishment" and it stayed shut for months. On re-opening, they'd done away with the second-hand bargains bin, where I had previously picked up a fair few wagons at four for a tenner; as new points at a fiver; as new or nearly new flexitrack at a pound a length - whatever they happened to have. Removing that simply meant that I mainly drop into another shop when I am in the area and avoid the extra drive.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 07:53:02 PM »
Like @exmouthcraig, I used to visit the Hattons website quite often when they stocked Graham Farish.  This has reduced significantly since Hattons fell out with Bachmann.  I suspect N gauge may not account for a large slice of their turnover but are OO customers doing the same thing?

If it was me, I would repair my relationship with Bachmann toot sweet.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »

This is not an early tomorows day spoof is it? Certainly seems like it. A bit of a joke.

Izzy

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
@Paddy theyve made their bed and if Bachmann have got anything about them theyll force Hattons to lie in it.

Whilst the "discussions" were on going both parties made it clear that Hattons allocated stock was being held and once the outcome was determined it would be released for them to sell.

Now as we know, the outcome resulted in EVERYTHING GF branded was pulled off their site with immediate effect.

I very much doubt all of Hattons 2019 stock is still sat in Barwell, if it is I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a pallet or 2. But Bachmann have been able to offload all of Hattons allocation with no hassle so they dont need to go cap in hand to a bunch who believe they are as good as them.

Bachmann can sit quite comfy with their feet on the table laughing at their mediocre attempts to get enough numbers to buy an N gauge Garrett safe in the knowledge their wages are still going to get paid.

Theres surely a few sat round a table in Runcorn who must be desperately scratching their heads as to where they go from here. Sitting on your laurels isnt an option in today's society.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 08:14:34 PM »
Hi @exmouthcraig,

You are right I am sure.  There are plenty of other options for Bachmann to sell their product to.  At one time, Hattons was sort of unique, a model railway version of Amazon but this is no longer the case.  There are plenty of other online retailers who can shift a large quantity of stock.  Hattons are not even the cheapest these days.

Personally, I still do not understand what they are trying to achieve that made losing Bachmann worthwhile?

Kind regards

Paddy
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:15:44 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
@Paddy

A greedy board of directors who had had it too good for too long!!

Strange how most decisions made like that have a habit of going the total opposite way to what the 'educated few' suggest!!

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
They continue to want to defend their market position with increasingly desperate measures it seems. Why would you ever use their ‘trunk’ feature in the future? They’re not going to want to allocate stock for a totally indeterminate period of time, and if they require payment upfront why wouldn’t you just get the items immediately?
Slightly missing the point I feel... It makes sense as a temporary arrangement for a possible forthcoming period when you CAN'T have it immediately from any retailer.
It works for Hattons because it generates cash-flow.
It will work for (some) customers because they have the assurance they will get the product eventually rather than hoping that whatever it is doesn't immediately sell out when retail & dispatch come back on line.

I agree though, I don't see much in it for the customer as a permanent option. The only advantage I can see is if you want a few items that are due for release over a few months. The first can be held and all posted together on release of the last item, presumably saving on postage.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 09:13:43 PM »
They explicitly say they hope to continue it after the present situation, ie they’re trying to suggest there’s value in it long term. I disagree.

You still have other retailers to buy from presently anyway, despite their best efforts. Ignoring that yes I can see a tiny bit of value, but actually most e-commerce sites effectively do that anyway - they’ll allocate the stock upon completion of the sale and they’ll be shipped once the retailer are up and running again.

I’m another one who used to default to Hatton’s, but they’re a way down my list of places to look now. I think the Bachmann thing will be catastrophic for them long term.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 04:14:57 AM »
The trunk service will allow foreign buyers like me to aggregate small purchases to save on postage costs, especially for pre-orders and pre-owned where there may not be the option to wait or go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:19:23 AM by longbow »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal