!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any SNCF modellers?  (Read 37360 times)

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Any SNCF modellers?
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »
I do not have a definitive answer but I have looked back through my copies of "Le matériel moteur de la SNCF". The process of losing the BB and CC prefixes looks to have begun in 1986 when numbers were put into a single series for all types of traction and multiple unit. This avoided the duplication of numbers as in BB7301 and Z7301. Over half of the photos in the first edition in 1992 show locos without the BB or CC prefixes, and many still had their cast plates including the BB/CC prefix. The first edition to show regional/business prefixes was much later in 2003 but includes photos with the noodle logo and the business/regional prefixes on individual locos. So as always the changeover was gradual and the mix of logos and numbers could be very specific to an individual loco.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Hiawatha

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »
Many thanks, Mike, very helpful! :thankyousign:

I have another question, about the planned Arnold DEV inox coaches. The A9 and A5 bar coach, were they also used on the Mistral and/or TEE? Could Arnold bring coaches with Mistral script or red TEE band in the future? (Or could the TEE band be added as decals over the yellow cantrail stripe?)

Mistral 56 coaches seem to have just eight compartment windows but I don’t have many photos of these trains, so was it possible to find A8 and A9 coaches mixed in a Mistral consist? I think the A8 is the short DEV inox type and A9 the long one?
Peter

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2020, 10:15:39 PM »
Peter

If you read French there are several useful posts on this topic on the “Forum du N”. Manu and NestIII have made useful contributions.

https://le-forum-du-n.1fr1.net/t32711p25-nouveautes-arnold-2020?highlight=arnold+dev+inox

I do not think that the nine compartment DEV inox carried the red cantrail stripe. They were possibly used on the Mistral, but soon after TEE became a brand SNCF introduced specific Mistral 69 stock, which were based on an 8 window inox bodyshell with the entrance doors set back from the ends of the coach and inboard from the toilet compartments. These were produced by LSModels in N.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2020, 09:53:11 PM »
Thank you for that link, Mike, which has answered my question: The long DEV inox like the A9 were not used on the Mistral or TEE. Only the air-conditioned version of the short inox A8 were.

Great looking coaches anyway, and looking forward to their release.
Peter

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2020, 12:54:36 AM »

I do not think that the nine compartment DEV inox carried the red cantrail stripe. They were possibly used on the Mistral, but soon after TEE became a brand SNCF introduced specific Mistral 69 stock, which were based on an 8 window inox bodyshell with the entrance doors set back from the ends of the coach and inboard from the toilet compartments. These were produced by LSModels in N.

Mike, where you say Mistral 69 here should read Mistral 56. Mistral 56 were the TEE version of the original DEV Inox, Mistral 69 were the later Inox TEE coach style

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2020, 01:17:42 AM »
I have two questions pour les experts de la SNCF :-[ regarding the locomotive numbers: When did the SNCF start to remove the wheel arrangement prefixes (e.g. “15055” instead of “BB-15055”, Minitrix 12134), and when did they start to add the region prefixes (e.g. “422305”, Fleischmann 93 7361).

The first must have been sometime between 1986 (noodle logo) and 1992 (cap logo), and the second between 1992 and 2005 (carmillion logo). And how long did it take for the changes to spread across the whole fleet?

Merci! :)

The BB and CC were officially dropped in 1985 when SNCF reorganised its traction numbering system as a first phase of the programme to ensure that class numbers weren't repeated. Around the same time SNCF  started retro-applying the Beton concrete grey livery to locos that hadn't been built with it. This corresponded with the introduction of the spaghetti (nouille) logo and the Helvetica style font for numbers. There may still be some locos running. Certainly just a few years ago there were still a few BB22200 running with their  original side plates.

As for the sector prefix. The sectorisation was introduced on 1 January 1999.
I tend to buy locos without the prefix and pretend the number sticker has fallen off so that the same model can be used for different eras

As for transition, it took years, as these things always do. There are still locos running with spaghetti logo to this day, despite it not having been the official SNCF logo since 1992 (nearly 30 years....
And there are plenty of recent examples of locos without the prefix (sometimes the sticker simply drops off...)

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything