!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: An early attempt...  (Read 926 times)

Offline Eggmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
    • Awards
An early attempt...
« on: March 11, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »
Hello all, after sourcing an etched loco kit i realised i should probably practice on something a bit easier to replace if/when it went wrong. I decided to try the mineral wagon offered by the 2mm fs association and the resulting chassis is pictured below.

As i'm an n gauger i wanted to fit n wheel sets so i tried to ream out the axle holes to accomodate them. While i got them to fit they don't turn very well so this wagon will probably end up in a scrap siding, and any future models from 2mm fs i'll have to order their n gauge wheelsets, at over 2 per axle they're a lot more expensive than the ngs wheels but they do provide access to a mountain of kits, so i'll be joining 2mm fs next pay day.

I used solder paste and most of it was 'sweated' together. The nickel silver chassis seems suprisingly robust considering it's small size.

I've been bitten by the bug now and i have a couple of ngs 25t brake van etches to tackle next, who knows these ones might even end up running on my layout.

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: An early attempt...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
That looks to be a tidy effort. Nice work.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »

Thankyou i'm feeling encouraged i always considered it a black art.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
Looks a great start to me :)
An alternative to the N wheelsets from the 2mmSA is to give the following a try: 2-047 Axles: Steel: Pinpoint: 12.25mm for Farish RP25 Wheels at 4.50 for 4. It's just a case of popping the wheels off the Farish axle and onto the 2mm one.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 06:04:35 PM »
Looks a great start to me :)
An alternative to the N wheelsets from the 2mmSA is to give the following a try: 2-047 Axles: Steel: Pinpoint: 12.25mm for Farish RP25 Wheels at 4.50 for 4. It's just a case of popping the wheels off the Farish axle and onto the 2mm one.

Thanks for that  :thumbsup: it makes being able to swap between guages a lot more plausible which is attractive to me at this stage.

Online msr

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 06:19:53 PM »
What kind of solder paste is best for this kind of work with kits?  And is a syringe application best, or the tub where you spread it on?

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »
@msr I used the solder paste from Eileens Emporium as i wanted a simple entry into soldering kits. I don't know wether or not other solder pastes would be as effective but the amount i used means there is enough to make several hundred kits from the pot they sent me.  The solder paste is a grey slurry which i assume contains powdered solder and a liquid flux.

I applied the paste sparingly with a cocktail stick and touched the soldering iron nearby until the heat conducts to the paste and fizzes, the area turns silver when the solder melts. I clamped bits together with little clothes pegs or a set of sprung tweezers. The parts need to be clamped as i found they can float into a different position when the solder is melted which is difficult to correct, this happened on one of the axle boxes and it set at the wrong angle.  Seams can be reinforced by adding more paste and applying heat. The paste is bulky but after heat the remaining solder is very thin.

I do have some flux and a syringe but i haven't tried it yet. I want to try this more traditional method on one of the brake vans i have so i'll feed back.

I do get the impression the solder paste makes life a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:16:40 PM »

This Forum can give you confidence to try anything. I went from a standard model builder of kits to a kit/model hacker and rebuilder, there's always someone on here who can point you in the right direction regardless of how obscure the question is, how to build rain gutters was an eye opener for me. So it all starts with baby steps (small chassis) and progresses into who knows what.

The progress you've made in building this chassis has inspired me to have a crack in the future, but there's a long list of things in front first, all inspired by people on here.

So roll on your next bit, I look forward to seeing it.

:wave:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »

This Forum can give you confidence to try anything. I went from a standard model builder of kits to a kit/model hacker and rebuilder, there's always someone on here who can point you in the right direction regardless of how obscure the question is, how to build rain gutters was an eye opener for me. So it all starts with baby steps (small chassis) and progresses into who knows what.

The progress you've made in building this chassis has inspired me to have a crack in the future, but there's a long list of things in front first, all inspired by people on here.

So roll on your next bit, I look forward to seeing it.

:wave:

Thanks @emjaybee i hope you have a go, i'm glad to have provided some inspiration  :) There are some inexpensive old frets available on the ngs shop, ideal for trying this sort of thing.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
Excellent first attempt. Like Gareth, I've mainly used the Association's conversion axles and Farish wagon wheels to fit to the etched chassis. While I use solder paste, I've found that cutting small bits of solder (Carr's 145 solder) and placing them on the model with some flux is generally easier.

I look forward to seeing your future efforts at these. Best of luck with the brake vans.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging responses. I managed to finish the mineral wagon assembly and give it all a wash. I also got to fix the original 2mm wheel bearings after my botched n gauge conversion attempt so it's now a working wagon albeit in the wrong guage- never mind axles are available!

One setback was that i happened to slip and mangle the brake gear while i was filing the chassis to fit the body. All was not lost i managed bend things back into place but the brake rigging looks a bit wobbly now.

Paint shop next then i'll fit nem pockets for couplings. I'm thinking i'll have fixed small rakes with an easi shunt at each end but that's another discussion.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
Work has started on the bogie brake van. First impressions are that the brass is a lot softer than the nickel silver on the previous model so more care is required. The sides and cabin ends have gone on
well enough although i was a bit generous with the solder so I have taken it into work to tidy things up on my break. I've used solder paste again, an early try with 188 wire solder and yellow flux didn't go anywhere, possibly it's the wrong flux? It does say white metal OR brass.

Apologies for the upsidedown photo i'll try to sort it :hmmm:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 04:17:12 PM by Eggmarine »

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 07:49:29 PM »
A bit more progress on the brake van. It's a lot more tricky than the 2MM SA mineral wagon and the stripping so far looks sloppy, i've got a second fret though so this can be a practice one. I'll finish it though so i can see how my soldering looks under a layer of primer.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »
I used a glass fibre brush to clean up excess solder. If things are too excessive for this, I have a cheap flathead screwdriver that I ground to a sharp edge to remove excess solder. The trick is to use as little solder as possible; it's amazing just how little is needed for most joints.

Hope this helps.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 07:58:53 AM »
I used a glass fibre brush to clean up excess solder. If things are too excessive for this, I have a cheap flathead screwdriver that I ground to a sharp edge to remove excess solder. The trick is to use as little solder as possible; it's amazing just how little is needed for most joints.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice Steve, definitely looks like a 'less is more' approach is needed for the solder!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal