!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 2403 times)

Online impinabox

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Halfway
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
Scenery at last!

While I've been waiting for stuff like chips, sockets and LEDs for the mimic I've managed to make a start to the scenery.  Like everything else on this layout I didn't have a firm plan for the general lie of the land so I've been a bit slow to get started.

The right hand tracks disappear into the tunnel while there'll be a cutting for the left pair, sloping down to the left, probably coming out to a small station on the top deck.

We seem to have had a lot of stuff delivered during the lock-down (as opposed to that most enjoyable task of going to Rails to pick it up and having a rummage thru the 23nd hand stuff while I'm there) and I've accumulated a helluva lot of brown paper packaging - more from Farnell and RS than Rails I hasten to add - but I figured I could use it for landscaping.  I used screwed up / rolled up sheets for the overall shape and covered that with small sheets dipped in 50:50 PVA:water.  It's maybe a bit more Crinkle Crags than Lincolnshire Wolds but I'm sure a bit of greenery and a few trees will help.

Still not sure what to put into the space in the middle of the branch loop but probably not a quarry now - that doesn't leave any space for roads.  I was quite taken with the pit head kit featured in RM mag this month but at £56 I want to be more sure of what I'm doing before I commit - that's best part of a new loco!!
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2020, 05:42:36 PM »
Always interesting the 2nd hand bins. Have you allowed for sufficient clearance around the tunnel ? Brown paper that comes with orders is useful 

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:18 PM »
Oh yes - there's even room for the wretched Thomas to get thru!
Mike

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2020, 05:55:16 PM »
Have you researched pit head kit ?  N Scenic  ones good. Has to be cheaper ones

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
No serious research.  I just saw the feature in RM and thought it looked good.  To be honest I'm not sure I've got room for a full scale pit on Halfway but I'm still trying to figure out an excuse for the branch line loop to be there - other than keeping the third grandson happy of course!
Mike

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »
Maybe a project that he can help with..... farm, houses ?

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2020, 06:12:08 PM »
Aghhh!!   :worried:  Only if they're made of Duplo! 
Mike

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
Ok farm maybe good then to capture his attention or a small area wired so he can see lights or something under supervision

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
Mmm.  We're defiŮitely at the 'look but don't touch' stage with all three of them.  They're allowed a hand-held controller each and kept at arms length from the track!   :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:31:03 PM by impinabox »
Mike

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »
Mmm.  We're defiŮitely at the 'look but don't touch' stage with all three of them.

I donít let my granddaughter near the railway, just send her videos  ::)

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
An interractive press button or switch with you supervising

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »
I donít let my granddaughter near the railway, just send her videos  ::)

Wise man!  The oldest grandson is quite keen to keep up with progress on the layout (such as it is) and we've had the odd Whatsapp video call.  They're good fun really.
Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 09:54:32 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice on station buildings.  I'm building a station with two island and one wall-backed platforms based on the Metcalfe brick platform kit, and I've got a Metcalfe 'Country Station' (also brick) left over from the now defunct Halfway Mk1.  What I'm looking for is another building, maybe a parcels office or some such to add a bit more interest.  It's not supposed to be anywhere in particular - an imaginary market town station somewhere in the north of England.

This shot shows the station layout...

Platform 1 will be wall-backed with a car park and bus stop(s) outside and that's where the booking hall and new building will go.  I've got a white metal foot-bridge kit to put on and a canopy kit on the way for platforms 2 & 3.  The question is... is there another brick building kit that might fit the bill for platform 1?  I've looked thru countless websites and magazine adverts for Metcalfe, Peco/Ration, Severn Models etc etc and not found anything. 

One thing that's caught my eye is the Metcalfe 'Main Line Station' (PN920) but that would mean scrapping the brick station and building it again in stone (and using a stone retaining wall rather than brick on the raised track behind the station too).  I guess scratch building is a possibility but I've not got into that so far and not sure where to start.  (Tho I've got some brick paper and a new scalpel blade!   ???  ). 

Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 10:35:46 AM »
If you can't find a suitable brick building and have to go down the stonework route then this might be a consideration.....

http://www.ancortonmodels.com/nst6/4585570566

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: Yesterday at 12:50:28 PM »
Mike

Just looking at your layout and what you have on order, I would take a step back and consider the functionality of your station which has two island platforms.

The first question is where do I buy a ticket from and how do I access each platform. There are several ways to do this, each will set the tone for the layout.

1. You could build a road bridge over the station, with ticket office on the bridge and stairs access down to the platforms, with waiting rooms etc on the platforms

2. Ticket office at track level, positioned where you have shown the country station, with access by either footbridges or subway to the platform similar to say Doncaster station.

Our local station when it was a four track railway, had two island platforms with a small ticket office at ground level and a continuous footbridge access to all platforms.

The kits you have been looking at are all designed for a non island platform situation and would need the rail side elevation modifying to a say simple wall with maybe the odd window.

I know I havenít answered your question and to be honest I donít know fully what kits are around as I scratch build everything.

Not everything has to be stone or brick, but cab be a combination, a stone retaining wall and brick station building would still look ok.

Apologies if I have confused the issue for you.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal