!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 2404 times)

Offline AlanK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Halfway
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
Blimey this email could have been written by me, control box aside, tempted by both the 26 below and the Jinty, yes I too have the fun Insulafrogs as well....

If I ever get round to buyng a Jinty I'll let you know how it goes.  Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere and ebay prices are about 20-40% higher than the likes of Rails and Hattons. 

Assuming that you mean Rails of Sheffield, their website is listing the LMS and late crest BR versions as being in stock while the early emblem BR one is listed as being on back order.

Model Railways Direct appear to have all three variants in stock, although the LMS one is about a fiver more than Rails' price and the BR ones about a tenner more.

Hattons don't have any Farish steam locos available other than second-hand - are they actually being supplied by Farish at all, or is the spat ongoing?

The Rails one was tempting, still recovering from the Midland Pullman purchase, tempted to sell that and put it down to a stupid mistake :).... But yes Jinty would be lovely...
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2020, 12:04:13 PM »
Assuming that you mean Rails of Sheffield, their website is listing the LMS and late crest BR versions as being in stock while the early emblem BR one is listed as being on back order.

I looked for it yesterday when I ordered the Class 26 and I'm sure the late crest variant was listed as 'On Order'.  Never mind - thanks for the heads-up @chrism - I've just ordered one!  When it arrives I'll see how it runs over the setrack points and maybe do a video.
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
I bought a MEGA in one of those "learning kits" some time back, and it came with this shield which seems to be some sort of expansion gizmo. Any good for what you want,
I had no idea what it was when I got it, so I googled it, got this diagram, and am still not much wiser!

http://www.yourduino.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=195
https://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki/SensorShield
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Online impinabox

• Awards
Mike

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2020, 04:14:58 PM »

I looked for it yesterday when I ordered the Class 26 and I'm sure the late crest variant was listed as 'On Order'.  Never mind - thanks for the heads-up @chrism - I've just ordered one!  When it arrives I'll see how it runs over the setrack points and maybe do a video.

Out of interest, what are you using for the DCC sideways mounted 6 pin for the jinty, i've only straight Zimo ones spare (my preference), but didnt fancy bending the pins..
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2020, 04:21:50 PM »
Out of interest, what are you using for the DCC sideways mounted 6 pin for the jinty, i've only straight Zimo ones spare (my preference), but didnt fancy bending the pins..

DCC?   :no:

There's a review of the GF Jinty on Youtube that shows a diddly r/a encoder going in - I didn't take much notice (being DC here) but if it helps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqvz6V_HBT8
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:42:13 PM by impinabox »
Mike

Offline AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »

DCC?   :no:

There's a review of the GF Jinty on Youtube that shows a diddly r/a encoder going in - I didn't take much notice (being DC here) but if it helps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqvz6V_HBT8

Good ole Simons Shed, yep seen that one, its most of the reason why I've now ordered one, will see if youchoos can recommend a right angle 6 pin.. Saves me bending my own.

Offline AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
Apparently with a bit of shortening the Zimo MX616 will fit straight in, I happen to have a couple :)

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
I've been asked how I'm going to build my control/mimic panel based on the Arduino Mega 2560 so on the off chance that anyone else is interested too, here's a brief outline...

Since the Arduino is a micro-controller the solution needs both hardware and software.  Hardware first.

I've built a CDU to drive the SEEP point motors and intend to use relays to connect the appropriate coils to the CDU.  I found some 16 channel relay boards on Ebay that are supposedly Arduino compatible...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-12V-or-24V-1-2-4-8-16-Channel-Relay-Module-Arduino-PI-ARM-AVR-DSP-PIC-PLC-UK/362951292175?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=632075669186&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I bought a couple of the 5V, 16ch boards but since they are opto isolated you could use 12V boards just as easily.

I've got 21 points on Halfway but some will operate in pairs so it boils down to 24 different point motor channels - 24 relays - and another for switchable power. for my sidings.  Then I've got 32 LEDs to control on the panel so that's a total of 57 outputs!  That leaves me a few spare relays for future use - maybe station lighting?

On the input side there are 28 point position switches to monitor (a few extra for safety warnings since hand-of-god operation is still possible!) and 12 (on)-off-(on) SPDT control switches (so 24 switch signals).  So that's 57 outputs and 52 inputs.  The Arduino Mega 2560 has 54 I/O lines! 

After much cogitating and procrastination I've settled on adding some 8 bit latches (74HC373) to drive the relays and LEDs and I'll need 8 of them to cover the 57+ outputs. That will be 8 Arduino outputs as data lines to the latches and 8 more as clock lines - one for each latch - to toggle the data in.  (I could get away with only 3 and a 3-8 decoder but that's even more hardware to wire up!)  I'll build the latches on to a piece of veroboard and use vero-wire and combs to wire them all up.  The 373 outputs should be able to drive an LED thru a 220Ω (ish) resistor so those will go on the veroboard too.

On the input side I can wire the switches as a matrix - 7 rows of 8 columns will need 15 lines to read them - 8 inputs and 7 outputs.  Since there can be more than one switch 'on' at a time I'll wire them up with diodes to ensure that I don't get ghosting between the rows.  I'll probably want one of the analog inputs to monitor the state of the CDU, so that's a total of 32 I/O lines needed and I have 54 to play with - jobza guddun!

I've given less thought to the software side of things so far but the Arduino IDE lets me program in C++ so that's a good start - I like C/C++!  An Arduino program has two parts - 'setup' and 'loop'. 

In the setup function I'll obviously set up the I/O lines I need and probably read the point switches once so I can set the mimic LEDs to reflect the state of the track.  Setup will probably read the state of the CDU next and wait until it's charged before moving on to the loop.

The loop function will then continuously read/debounce the control switches and set relays (syncing with the CDU charge/discharge cycle), read the point motor switches and light the appropriate mimic LEDs.

This is about where I've got to right now - a load of bits arrived from RS yesterday so now I have to start putting them together....

I'm making it up as I go and from here on it's still in my head!  If anyone is interested in the gory details I'll publish the circuit diagrams and C++ code when I actually put them to paper... real soon now!!   :D

Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2020, 06:52:24 PM »
The Jinty duly arrived, has been run in for 20-30 mins in each direction and now I've been trundling it backwards and forwards over a bunch of setrack points to see how it copes.  Not perect but not bad...

This is about as slow as it will reliably go over this big bunch but it will creep over single points and over a sequence of two together on the branch line loop.

One thing puzzles me.  Both the Jinty and my older Fairburn tank seem to move in tiny jerks rather than pulling smoothly.  You can see this happening in the last 5 or 6 seconds of the video if you look at the gap in the coupling to the coach.  Two other steam locos pull much more smoothly and the new class 26 disiesel is just silky smooth!  Anyone know what I can do to fix it?
Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2020, 07:33:55 PM »
All I can suggest is cleaning the track and the wheels of your steamers (even new track can be dirty!). Bear in mind the class 26 has 2 bogies and they are both driven so it stands a better chance of smooth running.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »
It's been a while since I posted anything about Halfway and, truth be told, have made little real progress tho I've been busy with the mimic controller and have made a start on scenery in between trying to get some work done.  The warmer weather of late has made the bike a lot more tempting too.

Thanks for the advice above @Newportnobby.  I've tried cleaning the track with one of those rubber thingies and it makes a little bit of difference - maybe.  Hafta find some IPA and have a go with that next.  Not sure how to go about cleaning the loco wheels.  One thing I have noticed is that both locos improve a little with a minute or so of running - or maybe it would be more accurate to say the jerkiness is worse when they first start running after a day or two of 'rest'.
Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
I've made a bit of progress with the mimic tho have to admit that Captain C***-up has been helping a fair bit too!

I've wired up the 64b latch board - conventional tinned copper wire links on the component side for power and a few decoupling caps for good measure...

Verowire for signals on the other side...

The captain was discovered to have had a hand in the verowire as the databus and some of the latch outputs were wired a.a.f and I had to unpick the knitting and start again.  Very frustrating!

Another 2-row pin header will go at the bottom left of the board to connect up to the LEDs on the top of the box but that will have to be a right-angled header as that's at the shallow end of the slope-top box and there ain't a lot of headroom in there!

Playing around with some LEDs for the mimic I found that the blue ones in my collection were blindingly bright on just 1mA or so while the other colours were still none too bright at 20mA.  I've tracked down some blue tinted, diffuse lens LEDs which helps but still waiting for a delivery of some hopefully brighter red and green ones.  Apparently blue LEDs are made with Gallium-Indium Nitride (as opposed to the older Gallium Arsenide and 'Gally-Ally' Arsenide) and are inherently MUCH more efficient but more difficult to make - tho maybe that was years ago because they seem as cheap as the other colours now.  And other colours are now available in the same technology tho apparently not at RS or Farnell!
Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice above @Newportnobby.  I've tried cleaning the track with one of those rubber thingies and it makes a little bit of difference - maybe.  Hafta find some IPA and have a go with that next.  Not sure how to go about cleaning the loco wheels.

Once you have your IPA here's a very simple method for cleaning both loco wheels and rolling stock wheels. 2 caveats though:-
1. Don't use this method on wheels with traction tyres
2. Careful using IPA - it can react badly with some plastics but doesn't with Peco sleepers whicjh, to my mind, are just bulletproof.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=913.0

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
Thanks for that - the thread points to a very clear (and mercifully short) video.  (Why do so many YouTubers like the sound of their own voice so much???)

I believe there's a small bottle of IPA hiding behind my record deck - used to be used to clean the stylus - so I'll have a go. 
Mike

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal