!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 2405 times)

Online impinabox

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Halfway
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »
It's been a while since I posted anything about Halfway - been thinking about point motors, relays and mimics and the like - well - not quite the whole truth - I've been putting off the point motor installation if I'm honest.  Just wasn't looking forward to trying to drill holes to better than a mm tolerance to get the damn things to flip reliably. 

I bought a little template at Warley last year - slip it over the end of the point and drill thru to get the mounting holes in the right place.  Nealry worked - most of the time. I still managed to get a few off-center tho and had to drill out the hole for the SEEP actuator rod to give it enough space to flip the point.  I figured I could very carefully drill out the hole from the back of the baseboard and carve out the last couple of mm with a scalpel.  That worked twice but the third time I went straight thru the point so that's another little job for tomorrow!

Current state of play is 13 motors down, 7 to go...

One those isn't actually mounted and there are two more out of shot.  The un-mounted SEEP is where I discovered I could fit motors to two adjscent points on setrack-space parallel tracks.  I thought I'd have to use a surface mounted motor there but looks like they will just about fit if I file down the corners a bit...

I've heard a lot of moaning about ballasting on here but give me that over point motor installation any day.  I'll be glad when I've got all these installed and I can get stuck into the controller and mimic.  An Arduino Mega is due tomorrow and that will be MUCH more fun!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:52:07 PM by impinabox, Reason: added track plan fragment »
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
Good to see you're minding your 'R's and 'Q's ;)
Neat solution.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2020, 11:27:07 PM »
At last - all the underboard SEEPs are mounted and moving them by hand flips the points, so I guess, mechanically at least, they're working.  That was the hard part - the rest is electrickery and much more to my liking.

The Arduino duly arrived so the next job is the mimic panel and point controls.  I'm kinda feeling my way into this.  I've done a panel mock-up in Photoshop with positions for (on)-off-(on) switches and LEDs...

The points all have letters but not every point needs a switch since many of them work in pairs (A & Q, C & O for example).  This panel will sit in a flat-ish desktop box that will have to be disguised as a goods shed or something - from N scale ground level at least. 

One of the things I've learned on this layout is that I should have planned somewhere to put the control panel right from the start!  I had some vague notion of it fitting into a slide-out drawer of some sort under the baseboard but when it comes down to it that doesn't seem practical.  Might do some scenery for a while and hope that inspiration for the control panel strikes while I'm not looking.
Mike

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »

One of the things I've learned on this layout is that I should have planned somewhere to put the control panel right from the start!  I had some vague notion of it fitting into a slide-out drawer of some sort under the baseboard but when it comes down to it that doesn't seem practical.  Might do some scenery for a while and hope that inspiration for the control panel strikes while I'm not looking.

Your panel looks more professional than mine, but I will be hanging mine off the rear baseboard framing using slotted glass plates. That way, with some careful connection planning, it can be easily connected/removed when necessary........

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=22084.msg507777#msg507777

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=glass+plate+slotted&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
@impinabox - looks very impressive!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
Pluggable chocolate blocks!   Why didn't I think of that?  Thank you @Newportnobby.   :thumbsup:

I've ordered some 37w D plugs and sockets to connect the control panel to the layout but I'm probably pushing my luck to get a great woj of 16/0.2s into one of those.  Think I'll try and get hold of some pluggable terminals.

Anther little issue that I've yet to solve is that the Arduino Mega2560 has, apparently, up to 54 I/O pins but I have 28 SEEP coils and 32 LEDs to drive not to mention the SEEP switches and control switches.  If I can't find something like a 32 pin GPIO 'shield' (ie. extender board) I may have to resort to building some latches.  Maybe another Arduino might be a less painful solution.   ???
Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
Not much progress on Halfway of late - keep redesigning the control box instead.  I keep changing my mind on the best way to control 24 relays (for point motors), 32 LEDs, 12 on-off-on switches and about 30-odd SEEP point position switches all from the 54 I/O pins on the Arduino Mega.  Seem to be heading towards building a latch board, but I'll probably change my mind again before I actually build anything.

The highlight today was an email from Rails who, finally, have an N gauge 'offer of the day'.  I hope, in a day or two, to be the proud owner of a Dapol Class 26 diesel loco. 

It'll be my first Dapol loco so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's as cute as the Farish ones.

I quite fancy a 'Jinty' tank engine too but with it being an 0-6-0 I wonder how it will perform on the (insulfrog) points in my station and sidings.  If anyone has one can you let me know how well it picks up over points?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:25:09 PM by impinabox, Reason: wrong piccy »
Mike

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
I do like the green livery!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2020, 07:49:08 PM »
I havenít got a Jinty but do have 4 0-6-0 panniers plus an 0-4-4 M7 and they are all fine on insulfrogs.
The trick is, as far as Iím concerned, to keep the track itself and the blades clean on the points.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline AlanK

• N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »
Not much progress on Halfway of late - keep redesigning the control box instead.  I keep changing my mind on the best way to control 24 relays (for point motors), 32 LEDs, 12 on-off-on switches and about 30-odd SEEP point position switches all from the 54 I/O pins on the Arduino Mega.  Seem to be heading towards building a latch board, but I'll probably change my mind again before I actually build anything.

The highlight today was an email from Rails who, finally, have an N gauge 'offer of the day'.  I hope, in a day or two, to be the proud owner of a Dapol Class 26 diesel loco. 

It'll be my first Dapol loco so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's as cute as the Farish ones.

I quite fancy a 'Jinty' tank engine too but with it being an 0-6-0 I wonder how it will perform on the (insulfrog) points in my station and sidings.  If anyone has one can you let me know how well it picks up over points?

Blimey this email could have been written by me, control box aside, tempted by both the 26 below and the Jinty, yes I too have the fun Insulafrogs as well....
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »
I do like the green livery!

I thought it looked cute too, in the picture Rails sent out.  I originally fancied the Class 33 from the same email, which I thought was even better looking (being a cyclist it's all about the pose factor!), but then discovered it wasn't actually in stock.  I'm fed up of tempting adverts for stuff I can't buy.
Mike

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2020, 06:07:34 AM »
I bought a MEGA in one of those "learning kits" some time back, and it came with this shield which seems to be some sort of expansion gizmo. Any good for what you want, @impinabox ?

I had no idea what it was when I got it, so I googled it, got this diagram, and am still not much wiser!

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »
Ah - thanks, George, that looks interesting.  Wonderful as the Arduino is it uses non-standard connectors - a 36w 2-row socket (ie. female) for the digital I/O for example.  The industry standard would be a plug (male) and either 34w or 40w with some power lines interspersed so you could break out a ribbon cable to two or more peripherals.  I bought a couple of supposedly compatible relay boards and they are different again - 20w plugs (which is good) but the pinout doesn't match the Arduino - so you still end up having to plat cables to get power to them!

Anyway - your board there looks like it's meant to break out the Arduino I/O to individual peripherals - sensors according to the board's name - and that could be very useful.  I'll google it to see where I can get one from locally.
Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »
Blimey this email could have been written by me, control box aside, tempted by both the 26 below and the Jinty, yes I too have the fun Insulafrogs as well....

If I ever get round to buyng a Jinty I'll let you know how it goes.  Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere and ebay prices are about 20-40% higher than the likes of Rails and Hattons.  I don't mind paying the going rate but I hate being ripped off!
Mike

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »

If I ever get round to buyng a Jinty I'll let you know how it goes.  Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere and ebay prices are about 20-40% higher than the likes of Rails and Hattons. 

Assuming that you mean Rails of Sheffield, their website is listing the LMS and late crest BR versions as being in stock while the early emblem BR one is listed as being on back order.

Model Railways Direct appear to have all three variants in stock, although the LMS one is about a fiver more than Rails' price and the BR ones about a tenner more.

Hattons don't have any Farish steam locos available other than second-hand - are they actually being supplied by Farish at all, or is the spat ongoing?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal