!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 2406 times)

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Halfway
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
Looks like the inside of a hifi amplifier !

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 07:10:44 PM »
Hmmm - those power op-amps would probably work well as audio amps.  I could feed audio in via the hand control inputs and connect speakers instead of track...  nah - the trains are more fun!   :no:
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »
Another milestone reached: all the track is down - both top and bottom decks. It all seems to work and even looks vaguely like the original plan, drawn all all those weeks ago.   :claphappy:

It's very tempting to start on some scenery next but I think I need to get stuck into the point motors and mimic board next.  I might still be tempted to put the tunnel mouths in place tho.
Mike

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
Another milestone reached: all the track is down - both top and bottom decks. It all seems to work and even looks vaguely like the original plan, drawn all all those weeks ago.   :claphappy:

That's fantastic progress, you should be very pleased with that.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »
Looks excellent.
Id say definitely complete any wiring and install point motors before you start on the scenery.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 09:49:42 PM »
It's very tempting to start on some scenery next but I think I need to get stuck into the point motors and mimic board next.  I might still be tempted to put the tunnel mouths in place tho.

I would agree on motors first, especially on anything above baseboard level where you need to be sure you can still get to it after the scenery is down. The motor that goes *will* be the one you buried in scenery.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2020, 11:37:58 PM »

Looking good Mike  :thumbsup:

Quickly reread the thread to find out what you are using for trackbed, sure you mentioned it before, but cannot find a reference, it looks like laminate underlay? What thickness please and where did you get it.

I was going to buy Diall 20x1m @ 2mm thick underlay from B&Q but a couple of comments state its closer to 1mm. Screwfix sell 2mm but it looks identical to the B&Q stuff, both of them are selling it for 20, so much cheaper than cork and reams and reams of it but would prefer it to be 2mm..

Cheers Derek 
Cheers Derek

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2020, 11:50:51 PM »
I'm most impressed with both your neat layout construction and your home brewed power unit/control system.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
Quickly reread the thread to find out what you are using for trackbed, sure you mentioned it before, but cannot find a reference, it looks like laminate underlay? What thickness please and where did you get it.

The trackbed is indeed laminate floor underlay.  It's been in the loft since we did our extension 10 years ago but I'll try to find out what it is and where it came from.  It's nominally about 2.5-3mm thick but quite soft so compresses more easily than Woodland Scenics Trackbed.

I'm most impressed with both your neat layout construction and your home brewed power unit/control system.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly sport!  I didn't think it was all that neat and the branch-line loop in the middle varied quite a bit from the original plan but it all seems to work and the trains stay upright so I'm happy - for now.  Point motors next and that's uncharted territory for me - so wish me luck!   :(

(Just tried to add another piccy but doesn't seem to be working just now - not important at present.)

Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
Being a 'glacial' speed worker I am hugely impressed with what you've achieved and it looks like it will be great fun to operate. I do hope you have video capability on your phone/camera ;)

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2020, 11:38:16 AM »
Being a 'glacial' speed worker I am hugely impressed with what you've achieved and it looks like it will be great fun to operate. I do hope you have video capability on your phone/camera ;)

Thank you for your kind words - you've made me come over all  :-[  now! 

Yes - I do have some video - I shot a bit last night but decided to post the still piccy instead.  Here's a short video clip of some trains running on the bare board...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:06:30 AM by impinabox, Reason: Discovered \'[youtube]\' BB code! »
Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »

I was going to buy Diall 20x1m @ 2mm thick underlay from B&Q ...

Cheers Derek

I've found a label in the pack of underlay I used as track-bed.  It's from B&Q and marked as 'Diall 3mm underlay' with a yellow label.  Maybe it comes in different thicknesses.  This stuff is about 10 years old - been lying around in the loft since we built an extension in 2010.
Mike

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 09:10:03 PM »
Just watched your little video - very impressive.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 09:17:43 PM »
I was chuffed with the opening bit - all three trains coming together at (what will be) the bridge but I confes that was total luck!
Mike

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
I've found a label in the pack of underlay I used as track-bed.  It's from B&Q and marked as 'Diall 3mm underlay' with a yellow label.  Maybe it comes in different thicknesses.  This stuff is about 10 years old - been lying around in the loft since we built an extension in 2010.

Cheers Mike, I had a feeling it was going to be that, they had Diall 2mm underlay last week, but it was quite thin, Id say probably more like 1 or 1.5 at best. So I got some from Screwfix and that is no different to the B&Q stuff probably 1.5mm at best. Likely to be a bit on the thin side, might take it back for a refund. Not sure that they do a 3mm thickness these days in the same material.

Thanks again Derek
Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal