!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hello from sunny Sheffield  (Read 446 times)

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hello from sunny Sheffield
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
Good on ya, Derek.  :thumbsup:

I'm trying to get everyone back to model railways, but keep getting waylaid by NE stuff!

I actually taught maths at Eastington Lane secondary school for a year in 1973-74.

It was rock hard school with an evil reputation.

I actually got on alright with some of the kids, but I think the fact that I began teaching in NSW Australia in September of 74 probably says something.

A move I've never regretted.  :beers:

Now... what size is the board again, and wots this fixing points down?

And was it NE I mentioned, or LNER?  :worried:

Haha - you got out at the right time George, when I worked in the telephone exchange at easington Lane in the late 80’s, we had to park our vans with the back doors up against the walls so they wouldn’t break in and steal all the gear. Plus round the back was a nice little hidey hole where the glue sniffers used to gather, it was a ‘hard’ place alright   :goggleeyes:

But even though it was bad, there was a togetherness, a proper community, folks looked out for each other. Once the coal mines disappeared the whole area lost that, big shame really.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hello from sunny Sheffield
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 08:05:39 PM »
I don't remember much about Murton - my dad moved around quite a bit for work - Carlisle next where I leared to appreciate steam engines, then Rowlands Gill (bikes and skinned knees), then Sheffield (tape recorders, soldering irons and women) and on to university on Colchester (slide rules, more soldering irons, more women and of course: beer).  I have some family left in the NE but don't see anything of them these days.  The immediate bunch around Sunderland and Ashington has died out!  C'est la vie as we say darn sarf.

Anyway - enough of this - I'll try and get to railways in a bit - but I need some time actually building the damn thing next!

Aye Mike, that’s a bit of tooing and froing. Rowlands Gill has changed a canny bit, actually quite nice along the Derwent walk, runs along the route of the old track from Swallwell through to Shotley Bridge and on to Consett.

Getting to the railways is what I want to do, but with the delay on the plastering for possibly another couple of weeks has put a right big spanner in the works lol..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal