!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiring a double reverse loop (Dog Bone) Layout?  (Read 221 times)

Offline Ado

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Wiring a double reverse loop (Dog Bone) Layout?
« on: March 01, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
After a break of about five years (five years with no Layout!) - I've started to build. Essentially its a dogbone with a main through station & an elevated branch line running off to a second terminal station.

I have a Lenz LK100 auto-reverse module from my previous layout. However, I would like advice on how to wire up two reverse loops e.g. what's best practice? can it be done from a single auto-reverse module? I've included a track diagram below for comment (Orange & Pink sections are the reverse loops). If there is an existing thread on this topic please redirect me.

Many thanks in advance

Adrian

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:00:21 PM by Ado »
Ado

Click on link for pictures of - The RhAD Bahn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concorps/sets/72157626100757143/

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Wiring a double reverse loop (Dog Bone) Layout?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
You'll need one auto reverse module for each loop.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Belly

• N Gauge Society Number: 24152
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 11:25:02 PM »
Ado,

Because it's a dog bone, and not a single line with a loop at both ends, it doesn't require auto-reverse units for the loops. In essence, it's a stretched circle. The auto-reverse units are required where the points lead from the mainline to the engine shed spur and to the left of the station where you can take a train from one platform track to the other. 

If you are wiring with red to the right track and black to the left, it's where the points take you from one side of the main line to the other without negotiating the loop and thus in conflict with the manner in which you've wired the line. 

Just focusing on the two points to the left of the station platforms, your wiring would be in conflict with red going to black and vice versa as it presently stands and this would require an auto reverse unit however if you removed those points and let the train go through the loop before it arrived at the other side of the station platform you wouldn't require an auto reverse unit.

I hope I've explained that clearly as I'm presently, going through this very same dilemma with my layout, which uses a dog bone format, and I need seven auto reverse units for a separate line which joins up with the main line from time to time.  In the end, I've found the best way of understanding this is by focusing on where the feed and return wiring colours are in conflict hence the example.

Cheers,

Geoff

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
Further to Geoff's comment.   
I can see an arrangement similar to Geoff's description:  take just platform 1 and the engine shed roads, plus the platform 1 side of the two cross-overs, and a reasonable length of plain line (at least a train length) from the cross-overs.  Call that one section and fit it with an auto-reverser, which will reverse the feed if either of the cross-overs is used. 

But, whether that is sufficient depends on operations:  it only works if there will be one train using a cross-over at a time.  If there is a situation where both cross-overs are used, one crossing and one straight, with trains travelling over both boundaries at the same time, it fails.      The same operational consideration applies to the two reversers for the ends of the loops;  it works, but only if the boundary into/out of each reversing loop is used by one train at a time.   

- Nigel
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:19:38 AM by Nigel Cliffe »

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
If it were me, I'd isolate both of the pink loops and fit a reversing module to each of them.

I'd then wire all of the green tracks with the convention of, say,  bottom rail black and the top rail red (or vice versa).

I'd wire the blue branch, where it comes off of the green mainline in the same convention, with the understanding that by the time the blue track finished it's loop the colours would be reversed (not the polarity, just the colours).

That keeps things orderly and simple for fault finding and troubleshooting and for future expansion if required.

Best

Scott.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you you’re wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally don’t know why I’m anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
I agree with Scott - pink sections on auto-reversers, meaning you can ‘standardise’ polarity on the rest of it and avoid conflict at the crossovers.

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »
I agree with Scott - pink sections on auto-reversers, meaning you can ‘standardise’ polarity on the rest of it and avoid conflict at the crossovers.

It also means you can practically have a train anywhere on the layout without shorting problems due to the reversing loops (excepting of course a train at each end of a reversing loop, or a train longer than a reversing loop.

Best

Scott.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you you’re wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally don’t know why I’m anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Ado

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
Thank you all
Ado

Offline Ado

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »
If it were me, I'd isolate both of the pink loops and fit a reversing module to each of them.

I'd then wire all of the green tracks with the convention of, say,  bottom rail black and the top rail red (or vice versa).

I'd wire the blue branch, where it comes off of the green mainline in the same convention, with the understanding that by the time the blue track finished it's loop the colours would be reversed (not the polarity, just the colours).

That keeps things orderly and simple for fault finding and troubleshooting and for future expansion if required.

Best

Scott.

Thanks Scott. That was my initial inclination as it appeared the simplest approach for all the reasons you and other have highlighted.

Many Thanks

Adrian
Ado

Offline Ado

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 01:18:13 PM »
You'll need one auto reverse module for each loop.

Regards,

John P

Thanks John. I'll go with that. I have a Lenz LK100 auto reverser from my old layout. I'll just get another.

Thanks again

Adrian
Ado

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%