!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 6pin chip fitted. Loco lights on but no movement..  (Read 393 times)

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
6pin chip fitted. Loco lights on but no movement..
« on: February 24, 2020, 05:41:10 AM »
 I'm sure there's a simple answer..I just bought a new Bachman 6pin decoder. Fitted it inside my Farish class 47. I 'programmed' it on my programming track in the most basic manner (without going into CVs etc ). Now with the loco on the layout track the lights are on but I can't induce it to move.

Tried removing the decoder and fitting in another loco (Farish class 37) with similar result.

I use the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance which permits the simplest of programming without nuancing assorted CVs and commands and this is what, so far, works for me but I'm far from being an expert, just feeling my way with DCC and decoders. Other decoders used so far (the "18" ones in Dapol Pacer and class 56) all work fine.

Is there a factory setting that I'm failing to 'cancel' perhaps?

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
  • I Am European
    • Awards
Re: 6pin chip fitted. Loco lights on but no movement..
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:52:25 AM »
Is the decoder the right way up? I've made this mistake a few times, lights are on but no movement. May just be a case of flipping the chip over. Make sure pin 1 of the chip matches hole 1 on the pcb.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 06:25:48 AM »
The decoder is upside-down.

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:21 AM »
Thanks Philip and LASteve.. I'd suspected a simple solution but if that's what it is, I feel a berk!  :-[ I can't now check the chip for another 36hrs as away travelling but I bet you're both right. I'll report back by Tuesday evening (UK time).👍

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:01 AM »
Another vote for chip upside down. It's not as unusual as you would think and only becomes obvious once you have done it once, as we probably all have at some point which is why we know.

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 08:03:43 AM »
Thanks Graham.

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
If it's upside down surely it would not program as pins 1 & 2 would now be connected to pins 5 & 6 so the programmer would not see any motor pulses? The OP did say he had programmed it.

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 08:53:59 AM »
Many decoders pulse the lights and the motor in reply to the programming instructions so an upside down 6 pin decoder will still program.

Steven B.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
... and remember the pulsing is an acknowledgement, the decoder may well take the programmed value even if it cannot respond. It's the DCC programmer which will object to not detecting the pulse.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
Afternoon all,

So, top prize goes to team:"he's got it in upside down". I've now got a moving Farish 37041 - except at certain turnouts (more of that elsewhere). Just looking at the box the decoder came in, I don't think it's any surprise these chips get put in upside down by the unwary- look at the box artwork...it suggests the side seen in the picture faces upwards which, to me, means facing the sky, not the track. Yet this was apparently upside down.. :doh:

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »
Afternoon all,

So, top prize goes to team:"he's got it in upside down". I've now got a moving Farish 37041 - except at certain turnouts (more of that elsewhere). Just looking at the box the decoder came in, I don't think it's any surprise these chips get put in upside down by the unwary- look at the box artwork...it suggests the side seen in the picture faces upwards which, to me, means facing the sky, not the track. Yet this was apparently upside down.. :doh:

Question as to who got the standard wrong:  the decoder maker, or the loco maker.   As the decoder is a re-badged Zimo, I'd put money on Zimo doing it right.    So, lets check the standards drawing  (sorry its in German, because MOROP is a European model railway standards body):

https://www.morop.org/downloads/nem/de/nem651_d.pdf

And Pin 1 (motor right) is Top Left, with the decoder to the Right of the pins.   Which is what the diagram on the box shows (rotated 180 degrees).

Next Farish's 37.   I couldn't find a really good view of the Farish 37 PCB, but this angled view on YouChoos' website will do
https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Resources/N37MX660/N37MX660-09.jpg

In the orientation of the photo, the furthest pin is labelled 1, the nearest 6.   Which is upside down compared to the standards drawing.  There may be good reasons for that upside down decision (notably height clearance in the bodyshell), but it's Farish who have it upside down.

-  Nigel

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:49 PM »
Don't rely on pictures, look for a mark indicating pin 1.

I'm sure I've seen blanking plates with "top" printed on them, which  might be wrong if used in a different loco.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
  • I Am European
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
Good to hear you got it sorted Ricky  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything