!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N-tram Finescale Couplings  (Read 495 times)

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
N-tram Finescale Couplings
« on: February 21, 2020, 03:42:45 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of these couplers?

http://www.n-tram-shop.de/epages/17779503.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17779503/Categories/Category3/finescalekupplungen

They look interesting and can be uncoupled by a lifting mechanical device below or a magnet from above, which is helpful, and assembly doesn't look too taxing either.

Another plus is that they supposedly insert into NEM pockets.

Perhaps pricey at 10 Euros for 4 pairs, but worth it if they work well? I have ordered a pack to try out.

Best

Scott
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:44:27 PM by NGS-PO »
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline DonaldT

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: N-tram Finescale Couplings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 06:49:19 PM »
I have no experience with N-Tram couplers, but if you have by now received those you ordered, did you find them satisfactory and/or would you buy more ?

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
Hi Donald. Thanks  for the interest.

I have received them an I'm delighted with them to be honest.  I'm planning a bulk buy, but probably after the pound recovers from it's current slump.

Very easy to assemble.

They can uncouple from the bottom, using a ramp of some description or they can be uncoupled from above using a magnet.  I will be using the latter.

No delayed uncoupling, but that doesn't concern me if I can manually do it with a magnet from above.

I'll post pictures soon, and maybe a video.

Best

Scott.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »
This is how the look fitted:

IMG_2818 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the Dapol NEM pocket on the BRCW Type 2 is quite far forward, so regardless of the coupling used the gap is appreciable.  The gap is a similar size as if used with a short shank Rapido coupling.

They won't be everyone's cup of tea, but they are perfect for me.  Really pleased.

Best

Scott.

Offline DonaldT

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »
Eichhorn Modellbau also sells them, full price is Ä10.60, or German sales tax exempt price is Ä8.91

https://www.eichhorn-modellbau.de/de/shop/spur-n/product/325-kuppelstange-9091.html

Thanks for the picture/s, which illustrate the separation between vehicles (in full compliance with Coronavirus regulations).

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
Ah, I didn't know they were sold elsewhere.

Appears to be the same price.

I'll show a pic of two Mk1s coupled together tomorrow. Nice and close. Definitely would get a visit from the thin blue line re COVID.

I'll be getting enough to go on the ends of each rake of coaches and wagons.

Best

Scott.

Online SMason

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:31 PM »
@NGS-PO I read your original post a while ago and have been meaning to ask how you'd found them ever since. Are you using them for remote uncoupling with an electromagnetic uncoupler at all, or just manually with an overhead magnet?

From what I've researched, I understand that they work the wrong way when compared to a standard coupler with a metal fret. I'm wondering if they'll work if an electromagnetic decoupler is wired with the polarity reversed?
Feel free to mooch through my layout thread - Learning Curve Railway
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47419.0

Thanks, Sam

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »
Yes, I'm interested in the uncoupling action too. I guess they don't work with just a little ramp and nothing else, like Triang tension lock couplings?

It will have to go up and down, I suppose.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal