!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann profi couplers?  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Wayupdown

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fleischmann profi couplers?
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Hello
I have just started a small industrial shunting layout set in germany. Having never used fleischmann profi couplers before I have been very impressed with them. But I cannot figure how to pre-uncoupler, which it says it can. having searched the internet I cannot find an answer, apart from people saying they work well but are ugly. Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Andy

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
Re: Fleischmann profi couplers?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
Found this if it is of any help Andy, go to near the bottom of the page http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm

Offline Wayupdown

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks for that. I can get them to uncouple, its the pre-uncoupling part thats evading me.

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »
From what I have read Andy, the seem to require quite a force to couple them in the first place and uncoupling seems to require a combination of ramps and electromagnets.

There has been some chat here  http://germanrail.8.forumer.com/a/problems-with-fleischmann-profi-couplings_post4776.html  and http://germanrail.8.forumer.com/a/favourite-couplers_post500.html

Offline Wayupdown

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:58:23 PM »
Again thank for that. I can get them to couple with no force at all. Must be doing something wrong when I uncouple them.

Offline eotw

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
New member here

I have a similar experience with the Fleischmann Profi couplers. 

My understanding of making them work is to back slowly over the uncoupling ramp raising it as the couplers pass over and then continuing with out stopping until you have spotted the uncoupled wagon(s) correctly.  Then you can stop and pull away. If you stop and then start pushing the wagon(s) again it will re-couple.

That's the theory, I have never succeeded in getting them to work although I have never tried very hard.  They are definitely an improvement on the standard Rapido couplings with more reliable coupling/uncoupling and the closer coupling make a rake of coaches look great. 

I have looked at lots of different options for N scale couplers suitable for shunting over the years but have yet to find a satisfactory solution for Continental N.

Rupert
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:14:40 PM by eotw »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
Hi Rupert - welcome to the forum, and thanks for an informative first post :wave:

Offline Wayupdown

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks for that rupert. Glad its not just me. If I have any luck trying to pre-uncoupling them I let you know.
Andy

Offline eotw

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
Just reread my first post and realised I missed a word...

That's the theory, I have never succeeded in getting them to work although I have tried very hard.

should have read

That's the theory, I have never succeeded in getting them to work although I have NEVER tried very hard.

I have edited it but thought it best to mention again.

Rupert

Offline sidkent

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18789
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »
I'm not sure whether this is particularl helpful under this heading, but I recently bought a pair of Dapol magnetic couplers and a Kato magnetic uncoupler track, they are a bit pricey, but work well. I intend putting a magnetic coupler at each end of  the rakes of wagons I want to shunt and each end of the appropiate loco. I also had trouble with the fleischmann couplers with their uncouplers.

Offline eotw

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »
I totally missed the release of these by Dapol - ironic as I have been desperately waiting for magnetic couplings with NEM sockets for years.  I will try and get hold of some and give them a go.

Thanks for the post sidkent

Offline Wayupdown

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
I'm not sure whether this is particularl helpful under this heading, but I recently bought a pair of Dapol magnetic couplers and a Kato magnetic uncoupler track, they are a bit pricey, but work well. I intend putting a magnetic coupler at each end of  the rakes of wagons I want to shunt and each end of the appropiate loco. I also had trouble with the fleischmann couplers with their uncouplers.

I think I will try these too, they sound good, never knew Dapol done these, thanks for that.

Offline DonaldT

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 07:20:55 PM »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52%