!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Humbledon  (Read 17005 times)

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Baseboard Surface
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »
there are some point motor templates here, as a guide.

https://thehobbyshed.club/templates

fixint track to cork - use copydex - track can be removed more easily that using hard setting glues ( bostik/araldite!)
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 07:51:33 PM »
Hi All,

Well the first bit of work has been completed regarding baseboard construction, but I need to get levelling feet to ensure I can get all parts square and level.
I also need to fit coach bolts between the board joins to ensure the surfaces are pulled together nice and flat.
I will also need to fit braces to the legs for rigidity.
I have a double electric socket to move as when I first changed the electrics around I didn't consider it would be right in the way of one of the legs.
Unfortunately due to that longditudinal joist being bowed the original plan to hinge the back end of the layout to that joist and have just front legs has changed to four leg structures.

Once I get this half sorted then I can cut through the plasterboard partition to allow me to pass through to the non-scenic section. Not quite sure how I'll build this half of the layout yet as it is going to be significantly narrower and will probably need to reduce from 18" to 14 / 15" - there is still plenty of room at the furthest end for the return turning circle.

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 08:05:32 PM »
I'd recommend Station Road Baseboards for all things fittings wise. No connection other than being a satisfied customer.

https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 08:29:34 PM »
I'd recommend Station Road Baseboards for all things fittings wise. No connection other than being a satisfied customer.

https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk

Thanks for that - funny thing Iíd stumbled upon that website earlier this week, has a lot of locating pins etc. Was going to put on a flat surface (upside down) then clamp together and join with m10 coach bolts. Once the holes are in position I can unbolt. Put into finished position and rebolt together and level it using the levelling feet.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »
@degsy_safc So this is pretty much a permanent construction, you don't expect to be dismantling and re-assembling often? If it does then I'd definitely recommend pattern maker's dowels for alignment, plus the coach bolts.   

I always use steel dowels similar design to these brass ones with my exhibition layout boards, and can confirm that boards constructed back in the mid 90s still line up 100% correct every time  :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/222534535660

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »
@degsy_safc So this is pretty much a permanent construction, you don't expect to be dismantling and re-assembling often? If it does then I'd definitely recommend pattern maker's dowels for alignment, plus the coach bolts.   

I always use steel dowels similar design to these brass ones with my exhibition layout boards, and can confirm that boards constructed back in the mid 90s still line up 100% correct every time  :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/222534535660

Hi Nick,

Many thanks, and yes it will be pretty much a permanent fixture. If it needs to be moved it will be very infrequently. I was looking at those dowels last week - but to be fair, I think they are quite expensive for what they are. I have a wood workers precision dowel jig and could use that to align wooden dowels if need be.

The jig is very precise, I used it last year to build a wooden chair for my wife, everything lined up perfectly legs, braces, seat and back. I know that steel or brass dowels will be better for longevity, but as I donít envisage taking it apart very much maybe not required at this moment?

In fact I donít plan on cutting track over the baseboard joints unless it becomes necessary to move the layout. Iíve drawn on the frames where the braces are and I can see the joint on the front and rear edges so Iím hoping if I eventually do need to shift it I can do cuts later.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »
I see we got up 3-0 against Bristol Rovers. Haway the lads  :thumbsup:

Regarding cork underlay, I have it under most of the track on my layout. I tried a section without it and immediately regretted it. If nothing else, it enables a nice ballast shoulder to be achieved.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 11:28:08 PM »
I see we got up 3-0 against Bristol Rovers. Haway the lads  :thumbsup:

Regarding cork underlay, I have it under most of the track on my layout. I tried a section without it and immediately regretted it. If nothing else, it enables a nice ballast shoulder to be achieved.  :beers:
Hi George,
Gerrin another 3 points - took 70 mins before we got the first goal and they were down to 10 men - but 3 points is 3 points  :beers:

My test track is fully corked across the whole 4í x 2í board I have one long flex straight and the trains are exceptionally quiet across that bit. The whole test layout is Setrack, and I have 2 points where a very slow running class 20 derails, I can physically see the bogie follow the wrong path over the catch rail - canít work out why itís happening very odd.

Anyway - Iím a long way off laying cork on the new layout, but this throws up another question.

Has anyone used vinyl / click lock flooring underlay for trackbed, rather than cork?  Itís like a dense foam about 2mm thick, sound absorbent, some of it is self adhesive. I was looking at XPS sheets after @jpendle said he used those for his baseboards, and spotted this stuff and thought Ďhmmmm cheap trackbedí ..

Look forward to your replies guys..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
Much to the perverse amusement of some forum members I used 1.5mm thick commercial grade rubber as underlay. I vehemently deny any rumour it came off my bed!
It is a good sound dampener and, using it for ballast shoulder, should prevent too much moisture getting to the sundeala basebooard top when the track is ballasted.
The surface is 100% covered and when the track is fully laid it is simple to cut out with a modelling knife. You used to be able to see pics in my 'Kimbolted' layout thread but dear old Photobucket put paid to that ::) >:(

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
He forgot to mention it's pink
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
Much to the perverse amusement of some forum members I used 1.5mm thick commercial grade rubber as underlay. I vehemently deny any rumour it came off my bed!
It is a good sound dampener and...

Surely not :o

What could possibly be amusing about you and damp rubber? :angel:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
@degsy_safc
Alas, Derek, you can now see what some of us have to put up with. Being a Mod is a filthy job but someone has to do it to keep these naysayers in line..............and one of them is a Mod too! ::)

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »
It is a good sound dampener and, using it for ballast shoulder, should prevent too much moisture getting to the sundeala basebooard top when the track is ballasted.
The surface is 100% covered and when the track is fully laid it is simple to cut out with a modelling knife. You used to be able to see pics in my 'Kimbolted' layout thread but dear old Photobucket put paid to that ::) >:(

Hi Newportnobby, that first paragraph made me proper laugh out loud  :thumbsup:

Might have a look at the local DIY place and see what they have in terms of underlay. Regarding the surface, the Sundeala was never purchased following the advice from the guys on this forum. Like the idea of fully covering the surface then just trimming with a knife - shame youíve lost the pictures, but the words have confirmed that underlay could be a good trackbed.

Thanks again..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
@degsy_safc
Alas, Derek, you can now see what some of us have to put up with. Being a Mod is a filthy job but someone has to do it to keep these naysayers in line..............and one of them is a Mod too! ::)

Had a good chuckle, and thatís what itís all about, great hobby, nice people, great craic and a good laugh  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 04:42:25 PM »
Like the idea of fully covering the surface then just trimming with a knife - shame youíve lost the pictures, but the words have confirmed that underlay could be a good trackbed.

100% coverage then removing sections is very wasteful but I never found rubber available in strip form whereas cork is so I had to go for a full sheet.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal