!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Repaint and mods to Farish buses  (Read 193 times)

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
Repaint and mods to Farish buses
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:35:37 PM »
I'm about to obtain a Farish Bristol Lodekka with the intention to repaint into West Riding red circa 1970/1 (is that NBC 'poppy red'?).

A couple of questions: Has anyone any experience of modifying the over-heavy panel ridges on the roof of Farish buses; i.e. filing them down etc!

Does anyone know if I can buy decals (transfers) in the correct scale saying ' WEST RIDING'? How easy is making one's own transfers?
Cheers chaps;

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Repaint and mods to Farish buses
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:53:01 PM »
The Farish buses are not British N Gauge (1:148), for whatever reason they seem to have been built closer to 1:160 scale (European & US N Scale).

This probably explains why there were never any re-runs.

If used with Oxford or other manufacturers vehicles they will stand out as being too small.

I hope you didn't pay through the nose for it  :goggleeyes:

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »
I used to ride on them many years ago when I lived on the Isle of wight. My mother and father actually met on them when working for the Southern Vectis!

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:29:09 AM »
I'm about to obtain a Farish Bristol Lodekka with the intention to repaint into West Riding red circa 1970/1 (is that NBC 'poppy red'?).
NBC's "corporate image" liveries and the Double N logo were introduced in late 1972, so in 1970/1 "West Riding Automobile Co" buses would still have been in their pre-nationalisation livery of Green & Cream. I'm not sure they had any Lodekkas being mostly a Leyland Fleet (unless any were transferred in second-hand from other NBC fleets?)

Or are you thinking of "West Yorkshire Road Car Co" who being a former Tilling company, had a fleet dominated by Bristols? In 1970/1 they would still be in the darker Tilling Red.

A couple of questions: Has anyone any experience of modifying the over-heavy panel ridges on the roof of Farish buses; i.e. filing them down etc!

Does anyone know if I can buy decals (transfers) in the correct scale saying ' WEST RIDING'? How easy is making one's own transfers?
As said, the roof ridges are the least of the models issues!!
NBC era transfers were in the Modelmaster range but 2mm scale bus transfers are no longer listed.

Online javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 09:23:01 AM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manofyorkshire/12966884423
West Riding operated some ex Bristol Omnibus  Lodekkas in NBC red

Offline Ricky B

• N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
Thanks guys for the responses. As for the scale issue, here John (Pendle) surely is the proverbial can of worms! I've not bought the Farish Lodekka yet but just to kick off the discussion, I've formed the opinion that the Farish bus dimensions- as opposed to the Oxford diecast ones- "look right". I'm going to post again later today with some photographic comparisons to try to illustrate this..
I bought and repainted a Farish Leyland Titan into Manchester cream & orange recently - (another layout plan that was stillborn😫..). I have a huge interest in the scale issues swirling around n gauge. Would love to hear other opinions on this. I'm not someone who believes something is 'right' because it says so on a box.. what matters to me is the context, in other words, if stuff looks right in relation to each other. I personally for eg, find Metcalfe kits way too large. When you see so many of these used in the background of layouts they look even bigger as there's no allowance fo perspective.
I've settled on Scalescenes for my buildings (hard work but love 'em) and juxtaposed with the Farish vehicles and the n gauge locos (around which all revolves) and a correct height model human figure, all looks right. But happy to hear counter opinions..

Yes, PLD, I dare say the ills of the Farish Lodekka stretch much further than the heavy roof lines (nasty thick window sills for e.g.?) But thanks for your insight. In fact West Riding took a load of (not sure how many off hand- 20 ish?) Lodekkas from Bristol in 1969/70. They were taken as replacement for the Guy Wulfrunians which didn't work out. They stayed with West Riding until 1978 when they were were moved on to Lincolnshire.
My school special - Pontefract to Wakefield circa 1974-77 was almost daily one of these Lodekkas. As I'm broadly modelling 1969-72 I could justify West Riding green or NBC red. Is that (I think it's called Poppy Red) available commercially to modellers as a paint shade do you know?
I thought bus company decals in 2mm scale might be too much to hope for.. does anyone know of a good rubdown or waterslide brand of lettering that might be pressed into service?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal