!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Old Grafar Crab - Split gear.  (Read 290 times)

Offline Sylvian Tennant

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Old Grafar Crab - Split gear.
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »
I was recently given an old Crab Chassis from a friend. I'm not complaining as it didn't cost me anything, after some purgation I've managed to get it running. However, I have since noticed another problem, the wheels could be turned on their own and when running there was a discernible clunk and occasional resistance. After examining it closer, I noticed the gear has split.

Basically, I'd like to know how easy, if possible, would it be to replace the gear. I'd be happy to contact BR Lines (or wait for the Middlesbrough show - which they are usually at) But I'm just wondering if it is worth it or trying to figure out another way to motorise it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:24:42 AM by railsquid, Reason: Fix typo in title »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Old Garfar Crab - Split gear.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:49:47 PM »
If you use the search function, you will find that split gears is a common problem with Farish locos, and there has been much discussion on this forum.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Old Garfar Crab - Split gear.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:51:08 PM »
The Farish 5 pole motor is very good, so it's not worth ditching that for a split gear.

Changing the gear can be done - though these are the hardest models to do gear changes on, due to the necessity to take care around the valve gear. Pulling the wheel needs a proper tool for original Farish wheels (they are heat treated onto the axles, so without tool, risk of mangling the wheel is high). The the quartering needs preserved through the process.

If you need it done and don't want the 3 month plus wait from BR Lines (who won't change the gear, probably replace the full wheelset at considerable cost), then let me know, I've changed a fair few of these and have the tools and gears available.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Sylvian Tennant

• Awards
Re: Old Grafar Crab - Split gear.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 03:53:37 PM »
Aye I had a look but a lot of what I could see was related to Dapol and Grafar diesels plus the one where the gears had sheered on the Crab.

Thank you Dr Al. I might take you up on that offer in the next few weeks if that would be okay with you. The chassis itself seems sound apart from being modified to take a second pony tuck and weathered.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
Thank you Dr Al. I might take you up on that offer in the next few weeks if that would be okay with you.

Yes, no problem, PM me if needed.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:31:47 PM »
My thoughts are send it to Dr AL, Hes done bits for me before and hopefully when required will do so again.

Andy

Offline Camster

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
Dr Al repaired and improved my Crab about a year ago and it has run perfectly ever since. He was very helpful and I would not go past him.
The Crab is meant to be a K1 on an imaginary Scottish West Coast line, so I only look at it out of the side of my eyes  ;)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »
Dr Al repaired and improved my Crab about a year ago and it has run perfectly ever since. He was very helpful and I would not go past him.
The Crab is meant to be a K1 on an imaginary Scottish West Coast line, so I only look at it out of the side of my eyes  ;)

Glad it's still going well.

Tender top needs put back on though - that's the wrong way round and not fitted down right - must have popped off at some point!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Camster

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
so I only look at it out of the side of my eyes  ;)

Maybe this explains the error!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal