!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco Unifrogs- hopefully not quite the usual question..  (Read 437 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Peco Unifrogs- hopefully not quite the usual question..
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
I used a 3way point on my old layout, running was very intermittent even using the frogs controlled by Cobalt motors. I ended up wiring extra feeds on like Diatape, unfortunately when I pulled the point up the frog wires broke off and the feeds. Not sure if I will bother with it on my new layout.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
Re: Peco Unifrogs- hopefully not quite the usual question..
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »

If you don't power the frogs on the points, the Unifrogs provide more reliable running than the Electrofrogs because of the way they are wired; you're not relying on a clean contact between the point blades and the running rails to provide power and the "dead" part of the frog is relatively small. However, you're never going to beat the reliability of providing power to the frogs.

On the three-way, I'm not sure I'd want to use them if I'm not powering the frogs. If you turn one over and look at the amount of the turnout that is wired to the frog droppers there's a lot of track that is going to be dead without frog power.

Finally, if you use diamond crossings, you can't wire the frogs without using a two-way juicer (or two one-way juicers); as there are no point motors to provide polarity reversal.

Even if you're not going to power the frogs right away, plan for the future by soldering droppers to your Electrofrogs; saves digging up the track if and when you get around to powering the frogs.
Hi LASteve, glad you pulled up a chair!
Very interesting..every day's a learning day and I'd not realised that the Unifrog doesn't rely on point blade contact in the way Electros do.. and my belief on what area of a Unifrog frog is dead has been revised back down.
I hear what you say about 'future-proofing' frogs- top stuff  ..
And in reflection, I think I can do without the three-way just for now..  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal