!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Strengthening FUD  (Read 247 times)

Offline Simon D.

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Strengthening FUD
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »
There was a discussion recently on one of the US forums about the possibility of soaking FUD prints in something to make them less brittle, as they are pretty porous.  The initial idea was superglue/CA, but this is also brittle it itself.  Is there anything else that might work without obscuring detail?

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Strengthening FUD
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
There was a discussion recently on one of the US forums about the possibility of soaking FUD prints in something to make them less brittle, as they are pretty porous.  The initial idea was superglue/CA, but this is also brittle it itself.  Is there anything else that might work without obscuring detail?

FUD has a solvent base similar to white spirit.  In fact white spirit will eat it.  However it can be used to carry molecules of something else into the surface structure which is porous but not into the core as its usually air tight.  One thought would be an enamel paint but you would have to immediately dry the white spirit out before it did any damage.

I find if you use a good quality undercoat (Halfords type) the surface strength goes up noticeably, but it must be left to dry and for the paint to cure as the molecular structure changes with time.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
I would think something like AK's new range of Acrylic Lacquers might be a possibility, as they cover well and self-level. I tend to find all the Shapeways stuff to be a pain to clean up and get right, which is why I would prefer not to order from them...and also how darn expensive they are!

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »
I would think something like AK's new range of Acrylic Lacquers might be a possibility, as they cover well and self-level. I tend to find all the Shapeways stuff to be a pain to clean up and get right, which is why I would prefer not to order from them...and also how darn expensive they are!

Never file, I use a fibreglass burnisher to shine the surfaces.

Offline Simon D.

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 03:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies - some very useful tips.

I have read that this stuff: https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/paints/badger-stynylrez-primers is a very good self levelling primer for the airbrush that I haven't got round to buying yet.  The various Mr Surfacer products are also good.

Simon

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
Stynylrez (also sold in Europe under the brands 'Ultimate Primer' and Mig/Ammo's 'One Shot Primer') is a must have when priming. It is self-leveling and covers well. I have heard some complaint about the white not covering all that well but I have never had any issues, and I mostly use white or grey undercoats for all my pieces. If your in the UK, as most of this forum are, then the Ultimate Primer is the same thing.

Online maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 04:28:57 PM »
Although FUD is inherently brittle, models can be strengthened by designing to remove/reinforce obvious stress points.

Many interesting articles out there, including this and this from Fictiv who manufacture in a variety of materials and processes.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:31:11 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal