!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Recreation21 shop on Shapeways  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Recreation21 shop on Shapeways
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »

The issue of chassis/bogies wheels and how they fit are also questions I have. Do bogie and artic coaches have floors/underframes in the print or do they need to be scavenged from RtR models or bought as etches from other sources?

Per the Shapeways pages linked above:

Requires chassis, bogies, wheels etc and finishing.

I guess it might be useful if the manufacturer could make suggestions about which donor products would be suitable.

Unlike Steve (Atso) I don't think this designer test builds everything he puts up on Shapeways or identifies suitable chassis, so there will always be a good degree more digging around for something suitable and some trial and error and fettling to make things fit.

For coaches I wouldn't have thought a plastikard chassis and underframe too hard to fabricate for use with proprietary bogies. For his DMUs and EMUs it's going to be trial and error so those who go first would help by sharing experiences!

Roy

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »
I might buy 1 body to start to experiment as I have 121  unit in the stock box.

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
I realize the vendor hasn't taken the step to final fit and finish for each model. I was hoping anyone who's undertaken to use any of his prints would be able to explain how they did it here, to help others who might be considering it. Etched Pixels is a good source of some bogies. Floors and underframs can be scratch built, but if anyone has found existing models that were successfully cannibalized it would help. I'll probably buy something, but my Canada location makes small orders impractical, though at least Shapeways has a US production facility so my order would be unencumbered by VAT.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »
Working on a coach right now (slowly). I've already constructed a suitable chassis from a plasticard base and Farish suburban coach bogies. It wasn't that hard really, it just takes a little time.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
Thank you. Just the sort of thing I was hoping to see. How did you construct the bogie pivot bearings? Are they cut from the original Farish coach?

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 04:10:27 PM »
More liked hacked and broken off! I got one off almost intact but the other fractured and half went off to meet the great carpet gods on the floor. I created a new one from an old scrap plastic rod of some kind and then wrapped some labelling paper around it to fatten it out to the right diameter. Some superglue was applied to harden it and now it seems to be fine.

Both of them sit on a plasticard base so that the bogie wheels don't rub the underside of the chassis base. The spacing is pretty much the same as for Farish coaches and the body rides at the right height in comparison to Farish coaches.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
Looks great. Thanks.

Unfortunately for me there isn't a ready market for old British outline coaches in N over here, so donors will be a bit harder to come by, and getting them at flea market prices off EBay is a pipe dream. I'll probably go with the Etched Pixels bogies and mounts as Alan seems to still have most of what I would need in stock.

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
What about the NGS Southern bogies: NGSB0010 8ft Southern Steam? From what I can see they're very close to the old Farish bogies and probably more accurate.

It's also possible to find them cheap on eBay. You have to be patient and look out especially for broken or 'in need of attention' types. They come up from time to time, even these days.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
NGS bogies are an option I'd forgotten about. I scan EBay frequently, but unfortunately most spares lots are by private sellers who don't want to post outside the UK. I still usually ask, but the answer is often negative.

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »
Do you have friends or family in the UK who could act as an irregular Post Box? Get purchases send them and then they send you a once-a-year/six months parcel...? Just an extra idea...

Just finished painting a few passengers for the coach. Next job is to drill handle and grab handle holes and create some seating.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2019, 11:48:33 PM »
No family left in the UK. Mostly acquaintances from when we lived there for a few years from 2012. I'll make do though.

How do you plan to do the glazing? 

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
For the glazing I've nicked the strips out of the donor Farish coach, but I've also been collecting clear plastic packaging that's the right kind of thickness. You can usually find enough of it that's flat and suitable to provide at least one coach's-worth of glazing.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »
Hi
Just to bump this . Simon has started adding DEMU/ EMU vehicles - the Hastings in Long and Short. Sold by car around the 25 mark for a shell.  Thus possible to make up a Tadpole unit ! - Will have to save up but all look good renders on Shapeways - link to shop above in thread.
Robert

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal