!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Hughes / Foxhunter Kits  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Graham Hughes / Foxhunter Kits
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
I once saw a Graham Hughes Q class 0-6-0 sell on EBay for about £180.
Even I thought that was expensive!

Offline Platy767

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 01:14:32 AM »
NER P3/LNER J27; I also think this was (is?) a Nu-Cast kit.

Martyn

Definitely the one I have is a Nu-Cast kit.

First page of the instructions attached!

Mark

Online icairns

• N Gauge Society Number: 6662
  • 2mm Association Number: 5510
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »
I have been modeling in N-Gauge since the mid-1960s and have always been interested in some of the smaller suppliers.  I keep an informal database of both suppliers and other relevant information for N-Gauge modeling.  Most of this information comes from this forum, the old N-Gauge Yahoo group and the current current N-Gauge io group.

When I saw the subject of this thread, I went to my files to look up both Graham Hughes and Foxhunter.  The only info I had about Graham Hughes's kits was a brief piece about the LNER J50 kit.

However, under "Foxhunter"  there was a copy of a thread that probably came from the N-Gauge Yahoo group around 10 years ago (best guess) that included some interesting information about the history of this supplier which I thought worth sharing.  I have provided the relevant text below for those interested.

I have no idea of the accuracy of this information, so please do not shoot the messenger if there are errors, but any new information/corrections would be welcomed.

The old thread (3 separate posts) is provided below for your reference.

Ian
Los Angeles

For everyone asking about Foxhunter:

Adrian Jarvis has the Austerity, Precursor, and A1 moulds only, i.e., the Foxhunter models range, although he has parts he is still waiting for from their suppliers. I seem to recall him saying, when I contacted him about the Austerity, that he thinks the Fairburn moulds may have gone to Knightwing.

As for the Stanier he thinks it went to N Gauge Lines (so whether these were sold on to Thameshead Models he doesn't know).  Either way these are no longer available, through him anyway.

As for the king I know nothing of its whereabouts, sorry folks. The problem is the masters for the King, Precursor and the two LMS 2-6-4 tanks were done by Phil Kerr for his Precursor Models range, which Foxhunter bought when Phil gave up selling the range, whereas, the Austerity and A1 were done by Phil for Foxhunter and it is Foxhunter kits that Adrian has bought the moulds for.

Subject: RE: Foxhunters Kits

The complete list of Foxhunter loco kits is:

A1 4-6-2
ROD 2-8-0
LMS Stanier 2-6-4 two-cylinder (temporarily unavailable 2002 price list)
WD 2-8-0
Fairburn 2-6-4
King 4-6-0
A4 double chimney
G2 0-8-0
(K3 long promised as the next kit)

Foxhunter Kits (2011):

Supply of Foxhunter kits seems sporadic, so it is more a matter of whether you can find any. The list for the NGS shop is about as full as it gets, sadly it no longer includes the WD 2-8-0 as the NGS could not get re-supplied.

The NGS kit listing from several years ago of available kits also includes:

Fairburn 4MT 2-6-4
Stanier 2-cylinder 2-6-4
Royal Scot
J39/2
J39/3
ROD 2-8-0
A1
A4

But I have not seen of these any for ages. However, if you come across Adrian at an exhibition you can sometimes buy off him directly, I got a K3 which he has not yet issued because he has not got around to the instructions (this has been the case for several years now).

Online icairns

• N Gauge Society Number: 6662
  • 2mm Association Number: 5510
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:56 AM »
By the way, I forgot to mention that Platy767 and thebrighton are correct in stating that the LNER J26/27 kit was by NuCast.  In addition to the instructions previously posted, here are photos of the packaging label and my NuCast J27 number 65855 trundling through Ferryhill station with a load of loaded mineral wagons.

Ian
Los Angeles

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 01:32:45 AM »
Oooohhh. Nice one Ian.

Mine is still in the packet!

Mark

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
I'd previously only mentioned Hughes kits and the Foxhunter K3 in my posts.

I've just remembered that I have a Foxhunter 'Austerity', and also the J39/2, as well as the K3 already mentioned. The Austerity runs on a Farish 8F chassis; IIRC, the J39/2 on a modified 'Hall' chassis.

All three of these are now over twenty years old, but are still used at home. The J39/2 was particularly useful to me, as IFAIK, it is the only model with the smaller tender; all other models, including Farish, have the larger tender (and hence are J39/1). Most East Anglian J39s, the area I model, had the smaller tender.

I've tried Googling and going on the Nu-Cast website, and it seems the J27 is no longer available?

Martyn

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:44:51 AM by martyn, Reason: extra information »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 11:27:57 PM »
I'm trying to get a copy of the ROD instructions if anyone can help.

Thanks

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 08:55:56 AM »
Has anybody mentioned the Graham Hughes D34 (NBR/LNER/BR 4-4-0)? I have one of these sitting waiting for me to get around to building it, and I suspect it's one of the rarer beasties even for Graham Hughes. I cannot recall ever seeing one mentioned elsewhere, or a completed example. (Cue seventeen photos from other NGFers who have one running on their layout ... )
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »
Extremely rare - I have an exceptionally rough one (someone previously built, badly...), in barely usable condition, that's not finished.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »
Thanks, Al. No pressure there, then, when the time comes to attempt to build it.

(I think I may postpone that one until after I've got my Invictascene Spinner up and running ... )
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal