!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NOE544R's Workbench  (Read 288 times)

Online NOE 544R

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
NOE544R's Workbench
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:03:11 PM »
Hi all,

Thought id start a thread about projects I've been up to. To kick things off, work started on 20 coal/ mineral wagon kits from Peco. Having sat in a box for the last few years, today's weather prompted me to do something! Following the discussion on a different thread (https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=49598.msg640314#msg640314) a quick order on Halfords website was placed last night, and collected this morning.

Having had a spray booth for the last 4+ years unused, I decided I would try it out. Very impressed with it, albeit a little gray now  :doh:

Progress so far;

The next step of this project involves the white lines being added. Until the Railmatch paint arrives these shall be put to the side. I'm not planning on adding any writing etc to them, as I plan a rusted appearance for them. Hopefully the paint will arrive by Thursday, fingers crossed! Once painted, they will require weathering and varnishing!

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: NOE544R's Workbench
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »
I'm sure others do it as well but I use Fox transfers, usually very quick delivery and they do a sheet with a good few white stripes for the door end on minerals, be a damn sight easier then masking and painting, they also do the black number boxes along with hundreds of number sets to be applied.

Definitely worth getting them on there even if they will be battered and weathered to hell

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »
Afternoon,

Following an abismal attempt at the lines via airbrush, I placed an order for the Fox transfers. Thank you @exmouthcraig for the heads up!

As I had spare primer left, I decided to have a go at a few other projects in the "to do" box. Having sat in the box for 5 years, its incredible what you can find!

After the primer, I remembered I had some yellow paint... now, why would I need yellow paint? (And no, it's not railway related)! Having unearthed 2 model TowBus kits I decided yesterday would be a great time to learn how to airbrush. Following many hours in the sun, this is how they turned out:

(History time: The real vehicle is still in existence and used for on-site towing at the Transport Museum Wythall)

Having boxed them away just, before the kits receive glazing etc they will be lightly sanded and finished with another coat and varnish.

My attention then changed to these:

Having read a lot on here, I notice usually the SWP is painted last. As I was already using yellow and had some leftover, I decided to do the panel first. Although this will require greater masking, I'm happy with how they have come out (although the curved type did overspray along the buffers etc). Before anyone mentions, I have deliberately not filed the blow holes in an attempt to give them a dented and used appearance. As I have Railmatch 2300 on order, I'm hoping to finish them next week and have them weathered in due course. Wheels and buffers have also been ordered, and transfers will also be purchased in due course.

Thanks,

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Not a problem Sir, save you a hell of alot of effort, now 1 good turn and all that....... :D

Those two bus kits look absolutely amazing!!!!! I'm guessing that they arent N gauge because I desperately want the second version and there is no way on earth I'll scratch build something like that!!!!

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
Not a problem Sir, save you a hell of alot of effort, now 1 good turn and all that....... :D

Those two bus kits look absolutely amazing!!!!! I'm guessing that they arent N gauge because I desperately want the second version and there is no way on earth I'll scratch build something like that!!!!

Sadly, the towbusí are 1:76. In terms of one for n gauge, it shouldnít be too hard... lob it under a low bridge and cover it in yellow  :laugh:

The rounded brake tender is unlikely to run on the layout, as a result of it being unbelievably heavy. Iíll find somewhere to park it! But Iím tempted to purchase another of the Parkwood kits...

Hmmm should I  :no:

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 06:42:04 PM »
Shame!!! As a kid I vaguely remember Midland Red in Leamington having something similar way way back, I might still be tempted to get one just to go on th shelf!!! Are they nice kits to build???

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
These got all over the place, so chances are a D7 or similar ventured into Leamington. The kits are resin, and honestly straight forward (coming from someone who is not artistic or even has experience with kits). It contains transfers too for finishing the model off, all you need to do is add paint and glue. I believe thereís a website you can buy them through - kits are Lancer if this helps!

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:17 AM »
Urgh where to begin...

This morning has been spent attempting to use the transfers from Fox. However, I've come across nothing but trouble. Having worked out the transfer has a white side and yellowish side (this side to be placed down on the transfer), they still do not want to stick.

Once dabbed dry, within a minute the transfers start to lift... Where am I going wrong!?

Maybe @exmouthcraig could have the answer? (He has so far  :angel: )!

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 01:27:46 PM »
Nothing like pressure then!!!!!,

Which set of decals are you working with?? The white door end stripes???

What decalfix solution are you fixing with???

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 02:01:18 PM »
Nothing like pressure then!!!!!,

Which set of decals are you working with?? The white door end stripes???

What decalfix solution are you fixing with???

:doh: Forgot to use decal fix! Iíve just applied home over the ones I attempted earlier, see if that works! Knew youíd have the answer!

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
Re: NOE544R's Workbench - Troublesome Wagons!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:02:09 PM »
Troublesome Wagons

Today has been spent doing a little more on the Peco wagon kits. Having tested the Fox Transfers on a single wagon, I decided to check if my weathering technique would be any good!

Step 1 - dirt!

Step 2 - a bit more brown!

Step 3 - thinner and cotton buds!

Quick comparison to how they looked before;

I'm really happy with how the first one has come out. I'm trying to go for a very poor appearance, and feel (IMO) it looks suitably grubby! The next step once they are all done is to get the airbrush out.... again....

Just a few more to do now  :D. (and this is only half of them)!

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 04:45:22 PM »
Looking good I'm guessing that the white stripes have settled and stuck now????

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 06:09:28 PM »
Looking good I'm guessing that the white stripes have settled and stuck now????

They have.... for now! Letís see what tomorrow brings!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 06:30:17 PM »
A pretty quick (apart from drying times) and easy way to create a 'pitted' effect (ignore it being 00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1KRNQXcLA

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal