!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trix western Sir Nigel Gresley not driving  (Read 225 times)

Offline roy0147

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Trix western Sir Nigel Gresley not driving
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »
Hello,
This is my second post - the first one gave me lots of useful information but did not answer queries about stripping down and re-fitting problem locos.
I now have a funny situation that I cannot see answered for anyone else.
My Trix Western 4-6-2 Sir Nigel Gresley driving wheels rotate in both directions but slip on the rails. Other locos drive properly so it is not the rails. The driving wheels are clean but there is no rubber tyres so is that the problem perhaps? The front bogies are sprung so not preventing the drive wheels to make good contact and the rear bogie seems to be not too low. Does anyone have any suggestions please/
Also some of my locos with 2 or 4 front bogies de-rail at some turnouts - can these be weighted to keep them on track maybe?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Trix western Sir Nigel Gresley not driving
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
This is my second post - the first one gave me lots of useful information but did not answer queries about stripping down and re-fitting problem locos.

The problem is that's such a wide ranging topic, your best best is to ask about specific locos and specific problems so that folk can suggest solutions.  With experience you can learn how to dismantle, clean and service your loco fleet - and to be honest a lot of it is from the school of "less is more, if it ain't broke don't fix it"  :D

The old Minitrix pacific locos certainly need traction tyres to achieve decent haulage, but should still at least move themselves if the tyres are missing. Have you checked all the other wheels on loco and tender are free running?  There are pickups on the tender axles which add a little drag but shouldn't be enough to severely affect the loco unless badly adjusted.   You can obtain spare traction tyres, normally Peters Spares has them but showing temporarily out of stock. Other places may have some?

https://www.petersspares.com/trix-minitrix-e12087800-s-traction-tyres-for-britanniaa3a4-formerly-72087800-pk20-n-gauge.ir

To fit the new tyres you'll need to remove the coupling rod pin on the wheel, which if I remember correctly unscrews on this model. I use a pair of cocktail sticks as tyre-irons to guide the new tyre into the groove, having first cleaned it out thoroughly.

If you're getting frequent derailment of the front wheels of locos at facing points that usually indicates a problem with the point blade not properly recessed into the stock rail.  Coming directly into a facing point from a curve magnifies such problems, and it's generally recommended to insert a few inches of straight track after curves and before facing points, to give the loco time to straighten out.

Old Peco points of the 1970s used to suffer from a lack of recess for the blade, I remember I used to take a pair of snipe nose pliers and bend a small dog-leg into the running rail to create such a recess.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:07:32 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 12:43:06 AM »
Another A4 - been a few recently, just rebuilt one for another forum member.

If there are no traction tyres, then it's game over for haulage - there should be two on one side of the loco (left hand side looking forwards).

Much care needs to be taken unscrewing the con rod bolts to replace as these are not available as spares and can shear off if overtightened, or if there's any corrosion. This will write a wheel off, so I tend to decant some water dispersal into a container and add very small amounts with a pinhead around the bolts before loosening, and then clean this off immediately.

On your model, the tender top also looks loose, indicating someone maybe's been in at it in the past.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »
The derailing front bogies could be caused by out of gauge wheels or track related. What radius are the points and are specific ones causing problems?

Offline roy0147

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies.
I will have a careful go at sorting out the problems.
Roy

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 01:05:19 PM »
Hello,
I now have a funny situation that I cannot see answered for anyone else.
My Trix Western 4-6-2 Sir Nigel Gresley driving wheels rotate in both directions but slip on the rails. Other locos drive properly so it is not the rails. The driving wheels are clean but there is no rubber tyres so is that the problem perhaps? The front bogies are sprung so not preventing the drive wheels to make good contact and the rear bogie seems to be not too low. Does anyone have any suggestions please/
Also some of my locos with 2 or 4 front bogies de-rail at some turnouts - can these be weighted to keep them on track maybe?

Hi   Roy   I   would    guess    it    needs   traction   tyres,   try     small    heatshrink   tubing   as   a    tempory    measure    till    you   can   obtain     the    proper     tyres,   

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »
Hi   Roy   I   would    guess    it    needs   traction   tyres,   try     small    heatshrink   tubing   as   a    tempory    measure    till    you   can   obtain     the    proper     tyres,

Loco drive, so would need quite large heatshrink - maybe 8-10mm ish?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline andy911john

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 02:34:32 AM »
It is also worth checking the spring pick ups in the tender. The pressure these apply as manufactured is quite significant and can cause decrease in pulling power.  This being said, the advice above regarding traction tyres is probably going to solve most of the traction issue.
Good luck!

Offline roy0147

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 05:56:30 AM »
Thanks for all the advice - I have now bought some tyres from Lendons in Cardiff and will try to fit them. However this is a Trix model and the con rods are not fixed on with screws so I am a bit stuck!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »
The pins are threaded. I use snipe nose pliers to turn them. Be gentle, the pins can shear as Al warned earlier.  The plastic Crank will lever out if necessary, again very gently
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:22:37 AM by ntpntpntp »

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal