!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Journal 1/20  (Read 1220 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Journal 1/20
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 09:39:22 AM »
To dismiss it as some do on this forum is sad to see. One thing the NGS does well is bring together people and support local clubs.

Thank you. One of the things I have learned since becoming an NGS Committee member is how much happens that most members, let alone non-members, won't be aware of. The NGS has a close relationship with various manufacturers large and small, and in the last few months I know of one much-anticipated kickstarter project that got significant help from the NGS to help it move forward (not sure how much more I can say about this). It's not like the NGS creates the UK N-gauge hobby, but it does a lot more to keep it ticking over nicely than you might imagine.

To be honest, there are so many model railway shows, as well as TINGS, that having a big show organised by the NGS seems no great loss to me. As others have said, it's really about people coming forward to help the NGS. If we don't have people doing certain roles, those jobs have to be either dropped or scaled back. We're all volunteers, and the sense of community is great -- anyone who wants to get involved really should!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online Dickydcc

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »
So far haven't had time to read it all but really enjoyed the Minitrix article, it's amazing to think these are still selling for 60+ on eBay!

Are similar articles planned for other manufactures?

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
Are similar articles planned for other manufactures?

There will be a commemorative piece on the Peco 'Jubilee' in the next issue. I'd love to have someone step forward and write something on the other manufacturers. There's presumably a good story behind the Wrenn/Lima collaboration, including at least one quite well known 'model that never was' in the form of the 'Western' advertised in the Lima catalogue at one point. I don't know anything much about Graham Farish, but they had a very diverse portfolio of products long before they produced model trains, let alone N gauge! So again, surely worthy of a retrospective at some point.

Really, so long as someone can supply decent photos along with their article, I'd certainly welcome regular historical pieces on the hobby. I find them fun to read, and after all, where else would such pieces be published?

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 07:29:55 PM »
Off topic, but I remember that when I met Peter Farish at the Poole factory, he gave a brief history of the firm; I can't now remember it all, but I think they had been involved in electrical appliances around WW2, only moving to model railways much later; N via OO.

IIRC, and after over thirty years since that meeting, I may be wrong, they also produced for a while some full-size small fishing boat hulls, and also for recreational use; their sort of 'trade mark' was a moulding representing a rope fender at the gunwale (gunnel) level. Again, IIRC, there was one in the factory grounds at Holton Heath.

Martyn

Online Ted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28852
  • Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Well this episode introduced me to Shirebrook and it's amazing.

I can't describe my fascination with dirty diesels hawling big, grubby loads... but it's there and I can't escape it!
Just call me Ted.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal